Squares and Circles

Squares and Circles

A Story by Mike Defreitas

Going this way, ok...hmm, what is this...I like it ok, hmm, interesting, ok....ok.... umm, nope, this way, ok, ok, interesting ok.

So I imagine the meanderings of my dog across the snow, left, then right, left, then right, she circles and goes out in different directions, to turn back, all for what? Is it like the feeling I have before I have to sneeze? Almost...Almost...Ok CHOOOOOOO!! Is that what it is, an important smell, giving her the go ahead to loosen her bowels and let out her chocolate treasure?

Finally, she selects a spot, and goes upon it. The area has now been covered in her special poo. Left, I'm sure, for other dogs to sniff out the meaning. The dogs meaning, of life. Take a poo or a pee and let others know its yours. Hi there, yes, its me: that's my digested product. Do you like it? Or, my urine, from the water I drink, do you smell the significance of it? Yes? This is life, eh, for us doggy's.

The Universe smacks us straight, or backwards, or sideways, in trying to understand cookoo notions of another creatures mind, what its like to be a bat, a stupid yammering rodent that flies, blindly, and uses that stupid sound to navigate itself millisecond by millisecond, avoiding and coordinating with the bats about it. These are bats: the facts. But on the inside...what, the hell. LOL! What a cookoo perception of things.

And in me, at this very moment, are bacteria, microscopic insect looking things, weird shapes and forms, that are symbiotically united with my physical organism. They are not me; they are IN me. They live in my stomach and intestines. Billions of them. That's either very cool, or gross, or maybe a mixture of the two.

I feel my mind to be the god of my body. When I move, read, and God said: let their be movement. Ok, not god, since it's an automatic action that my emergent mind consciousness doesn't directly will. So, I am about to move, read: and God said, do not move. And I will not. I veto that action, I will not, I repeat, do. My inhibition is my authority. No! Like the walls of a damn built by human beings to control the flow of water, my no means no, like, no more flow. Comprende?

Yes? So you see, this is what makes animals different from humans. Animals are on go: they can't say no. If the gene for 'yes' reads yes when the stimulus hits it, it will go, regardless of anything else, it will follow the principled patterns of embodied flow. So no no, just go. Dog smells poo, dog moves towards poo, and dog does what dog is programmed to do, when in the presence of another dogs doodoo.

Just applying the dam, setting constraints and making lines out of circles, the human mind stands outside in a realm of fantasy, where squares are real and things can be put into words. Points, in time. All of this complex psychobabble comprehensiveness comes from the ability to say no: yes, the ancient man says, 'ayo', yes, the other man says 'ayo'. A plant: ayo. See? A setting a limit by identifying, setting apart the thing from the things, giving a name and squareness to it.

Human beings living on a circle, the spheriod earth, dangling like a droplet from Shivas anklet, giving birth to a creature that conceives squares, that lives in squares - or at least some of them, the native Americans interestingly enough, lived in circles, a cool idea of wrapping fabric around poles that meet at a center point, creating a circle for the earth lovin native Americans to live in. A metaphor for attunement, perhaps? An ability to live with WHAT IS? Possibly?

Do our proclivities towards shapes indicate something about our fractalized psychologies? Like fresh sheets folded into a beautiful square, the mind loves the image, of itself, as it is in the world. Whereas the circle lovin mind, why does it prefer circles? Does its geometric structures, its paradoxicalness, perplex us? Or do we find peace, continuity, mystery, so brilliantly generated by the containment of the circle.

Hindus too, with their dots, and Asians with their taoist yin yang, and the Japanese with their paradoxical haiku, The east on planet has played up to its closeness to the sun, where life on earth begins along each round of its cosmic spin. And in the end, in the western end, when the sun finally collapses and the day ends, the natives sit in their teepees or lower down, in their clay houses.

Doesn't, though, the break in reality begin in the center? Doesn't the no, or the squaring of mind, occur when the mind shrinks down time: in focus? And we focus into - the environment, something observed and seen in a field. We go in, and then we 'break it', right down the center, and then into smaller and smaller fragments. Word making, world making. Story-time in each of our heads, perception yields self referentiality, where mind becomes more and more rigidified, squarified, with the structuring of time, with roads, words, and maths, buildings built and the outer world representing symbolically: but practically! - the squaring of our mind, unfolding in the now structured codification of time; the year is 2014.

So the people in the center lands on the plane of planet earth, invented a God, invented a story of its own self-importance, and began laying the bricks of external control. The management of reality, the setting down of rules, laws, and gods, bending minds in specific directions: work, sleep, work, sleep. Family fits in somewhere there, in between the responsibility of job and work. The filler upper of human life hours. Practicality. Killer of life and Builder of things! Dasher of circles and erector of squares!

Can the human square the circle, or is the question, as it sounds to me, retarded? Square exists in the circle, as a paradoxical possibility of circleness. Paradoxical, self referential, the seed of the ying that puts itself into the body of the yang, the ouroboros that swallows itself, becomes itself.


© 2014 Mike Defreitas


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
Added on December 17, 2014
Last Updated on December 17, 2014