Parchment and Pen

Parchment and Pen

A Poem by C. Harter Amos
"

For all of us who write.

"

Taking comfort in the parchment of my life,

I push limits toward better things.

 

What power beyond our lives

decides if our smiles outnumber our tears?

It’s not for you or me to know. Our guesses are only guesses,

but we write,

learning from mistakes,

taking knowledge through the next door

with us as we go.

 

Take life’s credit card from me, please.

Don’t let me see the total I’ve spent

in minutes  

sighing against my lover’s ear,

staring at the sea to dream

or philosophize…

to love who I’ve loved and to remember that love…

Then to write of it…

 

 

 

“What a futile fool

To write of such things…to think…to dream…

            Peck-peck-pecking out words,

making chicken scratches on empty pages

like so many others.”

 

 

 

 

Fool I may be

That I’ve failed to learn the game, I suppose…

Did I not make a difference to anyone, you think?

Not skeptic, not stoic, not epicurean?

Does everything have to be bathed in obscurity

to be thought clever enough to earn your gold star?

 

My eyes must be blind

and my art a cage that must surely be a small one:

I learned its maze one inch at a time                  

by the feel of its edges that were once clean, and smooth,

and as sharp as any razor’s edge.

 

 

 

Suddenly,

unexpectedly,

the edges mocked me with flaked and uneven boundaries.

The new instructions you gave me were in a language I never learned.

I promise,

I felt each ridge

before I threw your list of foregone conclusions away.

 

I won’t bloody my fingers redefining myself or my writing

because in the end, writing is not an equation.

There is no cage.

There are no boundaries beyond the imagination and the page.

And we write…

© 2008 C. Harter Amos


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So true. Is it about shiny gold stars or friendships and love of words?

Looking around the cafe lately I see a lot of sadness and frustration, I see turmoil and agitation. I don't think it is caused by the actual runnings of the cafe. We need to support one another now. Lend a hand to someone who needs one. The way your words, here, do.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

That was a brilliant and insightful piece. Your every line reminds us "we are who we are." We write. We are human beings that love the tree, but don't need it. This was a piece I personally needed to read..you went right to the core. I loved it. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This was both a great tribute to those that affect you and to people that are themselves great role models to have as a writer or just a reader. We all need to support one another as poetry seem to be a dying art form. We must take it upon ourselves to keep it alive. This was a wonderful read and a pure joy to let my mind wander around in. As my thought stop about my day and went to wonderful memories I have had with must of the people you have listed and yourself.


Well Done!!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Your message is eloquently put with this piece as it has reached the ears and touched the souls of your readers. I especially enjoyed the last four lines in stanza three; I read them over and again, smiling at the beauty in your choice words.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Mimi....I dont know what to say.....I mean, you speak of the lessons learned here, the stretching of wings, to try new things, new topics to write about....and yes....life moves here, with or without the tree.....
I like seeing the tree...but you know....I never left it cause I have grown as a writer, and I find that I am learning about people as well.
There is so much here, and it really renders me speechless.....and then you toss me in the last paragraph!! My goodness!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Fabulous! Don't change a word of this Mimi as it's truth and your caring relationship with your friends here is beautifully orchestrated, thanks for including me! I think you are a wonderful writer, don't ever think differently! With or without the tree...we write...compelling and so true...
Helen :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

writing is not an equation...i FREAKIN LOVE IT!

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Wow! Mimi, this will hit home to anyone who has the opportunity to read it, this bleeds on the page and thank you for mentioning me in this poetic masterpiece. this is my favorite part, very powerful statement coming from your heart
I promise, I felt each ridge before I threw your list of foregone conclusions away.I won't bloody my fingers redefining myself or my writing because in the end, writing is not an equation.There is no cage.There are no boundaries beyond the imagination and the page. And we write�
(with or without the tree), so true
Tony

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

I started to read this like I go about reading everything else, but then I became extremely focused and thought, wow, this is really an impressive piece of beauty and wisdom. I was very touched by this piece. The delicacy and the profoundness was a inspiring combination. I love it. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

We have quite a history here (you and me) and whilst many write of the caf�, only you could add such elegance and poignancy - combining the art of which you speak within each line of your writing while still getting your message across. I have always respected your talent so greatly and I am genuinely gobsmacked that you would include me in your list of artists on here... genuinely.

As you surf around the caf� and drop in on friends, you do get to know what to anticipate... as you have mentioned with some writers. What do I anticipate when I read your work? Beautiful, gentle, honest and admirable skill in every line.

Never ever doubt it.



Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

This was turlly bejeweled, your text. I thank you for mentioning me there and liking my poems. it is the tree what makes the old feeling again, I thought. I almost left, but I keep it open, I owe this my friends who asked me to stay. "My eyes must be blindand my art a cage that must surely be a small one:I learned its maze one inch at a timeby the feel of its edges that were once clean, and smooth,and as sharp as any razor's edge." this were my favorite lines of your poem. Truly amazing. I loved it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

874 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on February 7, 2008

Author

C. Harter Amos
C. Harter Amos

Lexington, SC



About
Born in the swamps of the South Carolina Low Country. Brought up on the Classics with a great deal of emphasis on music. I spent about six years at the University of South Carolina in Columbia soakin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fusing of Souls Fusing of Souls

A Poem by Bubo