Student of the Past

Student of the Past

A Story by C. Harter Amos

Near water’s edge,
the delicate sound of thousands of shells

dancing on turning tide
make the sound

of most delicate wind chimes

ringing like tiny bells, fairies at play.
routinely cast on shore,

on shore to be collected

as treasure.

      She didn’t doubt she knew more about him than the woman he married. They had been old and secret friends for far too long. His wife would never think to ask him about the collection of small seashells in an intricately decorated wooden box nestled in the bottom of his armoire. There were several tiny conk shells in his collection that took a magnifying glass to see if you expected to see more detail than a simple dot. Probably his wife would never know the shells existed. She would never hear the excited explanation of the type and size of a shark when he found a shark’s tooth there on the white beach sand. It was his favorite place; his skin well tanned by summer’s end. Would his young wife ever bother to ask what was in the leather bound book that held the drawings and descriptions of new things that he stumbled onto in his travels? She could still picture the pages covered in drawings and in his left slanted script in blue ink on parchment. No doubt the young girl only saw dollar signs and he was blindly in love.
      He was handsome, rich, and well endowed and these attributes were all a woman like that would care about. He’d put a three karat diamond on the girl’s hand, not because of its worth, but because she was so much like the living ghost of the sweetheart from his youth. He couldn’t help but lust and give. He’d had too much money for too long to remember how much power it held over most people. Other people cared about what seemed too superficial to matter to him: people like his young wife and things based around looks and money. It would be only a matter of time before those rose colored glasses would fall from his face, and his heart would be broken again.
        She sat beside the water and listened to what he said she would hear; the delicate sound of seashells in the turning tide. It was the sound of thousands of small fairy’s bells striking each other as they played. The salt of the sea spray blended with the tears she cried for him.

© 2007 C. Harter Amos

© 2008 C. Harter Amos


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is charmingly different from anything I've read on this site. You once again show your skill as a writer by combining poetry with short story, it's the kind of Edwardian writing you don't see much these days, I truly loved it because of that. Clever manipulation of words and a very good treatment of the subject matter...thumbs up from me Mimi xx
Helen.

Posted 17 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This shows that arranged marriages may be the better way, after all. The character you've created with the beautiful and talented Man is made believable by his myopic flaw; He's a Fool for Love! So are we all with Hearts ever innocent to begin again! The Poet is a Romantic and the vision of Romanticism echoes the Devotional Bhakti Yoga of the East. The alluring longing song a mantra to the remembrance of the beloved one. In Constant Remembrance of the Beloved a longing ache to awake! Oh, to kiss the beloved with the same kiss the beloved kisses me and by that surrender live in eternity! That kiss!

Love has very little to do with Western forms of marriage as your story alludes. It is usually DarWINian and may have Human affection.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Another nice piece of writing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fantastic. I love a merge of poetry and prose. Why should there be any distinction between the two, and here you use each to illustrate the other. Subtle and distinctive and precise. Wonderfully creative writing using new forms to express unique situations. Cool bananas.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A lovely write. I am a sailor at heart with saltwater in my veins and I love the sea with a passion that passes sanity. Luckily I'm a strong swimmer. This was just so nice and romantic with a longing sense of sadness.

Posted 17 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

The seashell part is great--that really thudded against my heart! The honesty expressed, the free thought--all of it is very strong and is the underlying drive of this work. What a great inside view of a relationship. Well done!

Posted 17 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

wow, Amazing. Very well written! I loved the poem as the set up and it was very vivid to me. I loved the mixture of story and verse. Grand Job!

Posted 17 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.

I found myself suddenly not liking the wife. And then, wy did he marry her? Why couldn't he be with the one that truly knew him? Why didn't he open up to her?

This was a great tale of loss/gain.....superficiality/sincerity.

It fascinates me how you set us up for the little tale as well.

Posted 17 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.

Mimi A beautiful and well written story, and the poetry complimented it. I believe you are talking of someone living in the past but wasn't able to relive his past. It seemed quite sad. Nicely done all around, and excellent word choice. I would have liked this to continue to telling the story from its start. thanks for sending this my way.
Tony

Posted 17 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.

Enjoyed this piece muchly. Touches a very primal aspect of human nature and relationships. Very vivid imagery... a fine example of well-honed wordcraft. Kudos.

Posted 17 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.

This was the most wonderful line: It was the sound of thousands of small fairy�s bells striking each other as they played.

Great job with this one! I enjoyed this immensely. I love the description and the words in this one. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 17 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008

Author

C. Harter Amos
C. Harter Amos

Lexington, SC



About
Born in the swamps of the South Carolina Low Country. Brought up on the Classics with a great deal of emphasis on music. I spent about six years at the University of South Carolina in Columbia soakin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Timeline Timeline

A Story by Bubo