Earth's Quake

Earth's Quake

A Story by minireeya
"

A short story about a mother who has to save her only child from a building that's about to collapse on her from an earthquake.

"

‘20th of May 1999, 11:05 PM an earthquake occurred destroying many homes. 95,000 people died while 120,830 were left with severe injuries’

Without any warning, the earth made slight movements which rapidly became violent. The ground shook this large city harder than ever. Buildings quivering inside ready to crumble on the ground. Calls for help could be heard in the distance, sending shivers down my spine. I hastily crawled under the table, hands pressing up against the table protecting my head, hoping I would survive this. ‘What if I die? What if I get buried underneath my house? Would I ever get resc-oh my goodness, where’s Gwen?

I mustered the courage to crawl out of the desk, seeking my only child who’s probably petrified right now. My heart immediately dropped once I saw my front door wide open. I ran with full speed outside searching for her with extreme panic. Buildings around my apartment had already collided on one another, creating dust everywhere, making it harder to see in this terrible night.

“Gwen! Where are you?!” I shouted looking around anxiously. I noticed her squatting in front of a building that’s bound to collapse at any moment. “GWEN GET AWAY FROM THE BUILDING!” I yelled on top of my lungs sprinting towards her direction with my heart palpitating in my chest.

“Mum! Help me!” I heard Gwen squall, looking at the building with a fearful look.

I’m almost there. Don’t worry Lisa, she’s not going to die. I’ll save her. Even if it means I’ll die. I’ll save her,’ I kept repeating to myself, hoping I reach her in time.

“It’s okay. It’s okay. I’ve got you,” I reached out my arms to grab her, but large pieces of debris fell before I could.

The debris hit me forcing me to fall on my side. My head banged harshly against the cold ground in agony. I stayed there for a few seconds struggling to gain control of myself. I groaned, placing a hand on my injured head trying to stop the sharp pain in my head. The earth’s violent tremor then ceased, and everything became motionless.

Is the earthquake over?’ I mused, getting up and patting my dusted clothes.

I heard Gwen sobbing underneath a pile of debris, waking me up from my thoughts.

“Gwen! It’s okay! It’s okay! I’m coming! Wait!” I hollered, walking towards where I could hear her voice. I descended, removing all the bits of debris on top of her as fast as I could. Anger boiled inside me when I couldn’t move a hefty piece debris on top of her. I began to scream, losing control of myself, still striving to move it. I grabbed one of the rocks laying on the ground and kept striking the snippet of debris.

“Mum! No! No! Stop! STOP IT! STOP IT!” I heard her bawling. She started to wail louder, enraging me more.

“GET OFF MY CHILD!” I bellowed, hitting it harder until it split open and fell.

I dropped the rock trying to slowly calm myself down. She stared at me with fear in her teary eyes, sitting there not moving an inch. I gazed at her with joy in my eyes thanking God that it’s over and she’s safe. My heart felt relieved while I let my tears rolled down my cheeks out of elation.

“Hey, it’s alright now,” I gave her a faint smile reaching out to grab her, but she began to yell and shove me away. I furrowed my brows together completely bewildered by her behaviour. “What’s wrong?” I asked as she continued to yell and push me away.

“Ma’am put your hands on your head where I can see them,” A voice behind me said.

“What? What’s going on?” I turned around and saw two police officers pointing their guns at me.

“I said put your hands on your head where I can see them,” He repeated.

I raised both my hands, about to place them on my head but soon stopped when I saw one of the men in uniform taking Gwen into the vehicle. I ran towards them telling them to stop, but the officer behind me put me to the ground and held me down tightly to the ground.

“You have the right to remain silent Ma’am. If you do or say anything, it can be used against you in the court of law,” He said firmly while cuffing my hands.

“Get off me!” I yelled squirming around. “Don’t touch me! I’m innocent! Wait! Wait please don’t take her away from me.”

My heart shattered into pieces as I cried uncontrollably while they took my child. I screamed and shouted helplessly, for them to stop. I needed to hold her. I needed to hold my child. I want my child. Why are they taking my child? I can’t live without her. I need he-

On the 2nd of October 2009, 11:20 PM

“She started running towards the poor child, yelling about some buildings collapsing. The child’s mother fought her off, but she got back up again and…and then she …um…she picked up a rock and struck the mother many times. I was so scared, I hurriedly ran back into my house to dial the police and stayed home, still traumatised of what happened. And um, that’s it.”

“After hearing the witness’s statement, there is little to be said. Our psychologists have found that the defendant’s paranoid behaviour is due to schizophrenia, caused by the loss of her daughter during the 1999 earthquake. Nonetheless, it has been found that she is responsible for the murder of Bailey Darwin, we ask you to find the defendant guilty as charged on all counts. Thank you,” the prosecutor said and sat back down waiting for the final verdict.

‘Lisa Kennedy was later found guilty of the murder of Bailey Darwin and was sentenced 4 years in the mental institution.’

© 2020 minireeya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

16 Views
Added on May 21, 2020
Last Updated on May 21, 2020
Tags: sad, sad stories, thriller, plot twist, twist

Author

minireeya
minireeya

Perth, WA, Australia



About
I write mini stories. more..