A Thanksgiving Day!

A Thanksgiving Day!

A Story by .Bunnie.
"

My stepdaughter had to write a story using all of the words listed...and of course...being a writer, I just HAD to do this!! And NO, I didn't give it to her. I made her write it herself! :P

"
Drizzle / Struggle / pickle / Ripple
gobble / Wiggle / hobble / Article
meddle / Spindle / topple / Triple
shuffle / Speckle / hurtle / Jingle
bundle / Griddle / vehicle / Bugle
 
 
     It was a dreadfully stormy evening one Thanksgiving day, and the majority of my family had already arrived at my warm, cozy home. The mouth-watering aroma of turkey basting in the oven tickled my nose, making my smile grow even wider. Several appetizers were piled high on a folding table covered with a decorated holiday tablecloth in the living room: cheese squares, pickles, a variety of meats tightly coiled, chips and dip, and pretzels. Aunt Dorothy and Grandmother had already gotten out some of the old Christmas music, and I could hear someone blowing on a bugle. I chuckled and shook my head. We hadn't even gotten the turkey out of the oven yet, and already they were anxious to reach the next holiday.
     Picking up my glass of red wine, I wandered over to the window and gazed outside. The storm had subsided to a light drizzle, but according to the weatherman, it was only going to get worse. Hitching a hip against the window's ledge, I took a long sip from my glass, becoming lulled by the bitter-sweet taste teasing my senses.
     Behind me, a few of my nieces and nephews were playing on the living room floor. Clara, only 18 months, began to wiggle and fuss, causing a scene until her mother picked her up with a warm smile, gaining a giggle and causing a bright flush to spread across her plump cheeks. I couldn't help but giggle as I watched Shane struggle with a marker to stay inside the lines in his coloring book, brow furrowed and tongue sticking out the side of his mouth in deep concentration. He looked up and gave me a big, innocently childish grin, his blue eyes speckled with silver dots twinkling. I watched Troy, a tiny boy with red hair and freckles, hurtle a particularly menacing "B" block towards the wall. He, too, grinned at his short-lived victory, and continued stacking blocks together.
     Grandaddy was engrossed in an article from today's newspaper, and Uncle Rick shuffled a deck of cards, taunting his son and earning a string of colorful words that had my eyes widening. Leave it to Ralph too add some holiday spirit to the party, I thought with an unbecoming snort and giggle.
     A sudden jingle of the doorbell brought me out of my thoughts, and as the door opened, I watched a tiny bundle of pink hobble in through the door. I caught an endearing grin and a flash of blonde hair before the little girl toppled ungracefully to the floor. A deep male voice filled with laughter came from behind the door, and strong hands emerged to righten my niece back to her feet.
     "Aunt Chelsee!" a sad voice wailed behind me. I turned around to see Jane, only 6 years old, hobbling awkwardly towards me, her feet unnaturally close together. "Shane tieded my shooz and I- I- can't...get them off!" The last of her words seemed to increase in volume the angrier she became, and I bit my lower lip to keep from laughing.
     I tried my best to give Shane a stern look, but was wholly unsuccessful. I leaned down, unable to contain a chuckle, and tried to untie Jane's shoes. I gasped in mock horror and looked back up at the little girl's tear-streaked face. "Why, Jane Hathaway! You're shoes are tied in triple knots!" I shrieked, earning an angry, disgruntled huff. Shane squealed in delight at his sister's dagger-eyed gaze, and ran towards the safety of the kitchen.
     "Well, that'll teach him to meddle with her shoes again," my grandaddy chuckled. I rolled my eyes and gave him a scolding stare. "Oh, come on now! Don't be so harsh." His eyes twinkled and his grin was far too charming for me to really get onto him.
     I smiled and pulled Jane's shoes off, pushing her lightly to go and play. She ran off with a vengeful roar, no doubt in search of Shane to give him a well-deserved pummelling.
     "I parked the vehicle on the side of the street," Sharon, my sister-in-law and the mother of the pink bundle, informed me just as she finished unwrapping Hailey. "I hope that's fine?"
     Hailey ran to me with outstretched arms and an ear-shattering squeal, and I caught her mid-flight as she dove into my arms, smothering me in kisses. She smelled of candy and baby powder, and she giggled in delight from seeing me again. "It'll be fine!" I answered, grinning down at the tiny blonde girl in my arms. "Are you ready to gobble up some turkey?" I asked her excitedly, earning a quick and endless bob of her head. I laughed, sat her back down, and watched her run off towards the other children in the living room, her adorable blonde curls springing wildly with each bounce.
     "Oh, now, would you just look at this mess?" My grandmother's unhappy voice grew louder as she emerged from the kitchen. The bottom of her shirt had a sizable tear in it, where apparently the thread had come undone. "Chelsee, do you have something I can stitch this back up with?" she asked me in a huff.
     I smiled and linked my arm through hers, leading her up the plush, carpeted stairs to my sewing room. I sat back in my favorite red velvety sofa and chattered mindlessly with her as she hemmed the shirt, the same way she had done countless times before to my own clothing when I was a child. The scene brought back warm memories, and I closed my eyes for a moment, a happy look plastered on my face.
     After finishing my fourth glass of wine, the colorful thread flowing through the sewing machine's spindle had me captivated. I could feel a sudden warmth tingling through my body, and my head felt a little woozy. I had a nice little buzz now, and it was exactly what I needed to keep me relaxed throughout this entire trial we all labeled as the holidays.
     As I studied my grandmother, I had to bite my lower lip hard to hold in a giggle after noticing a ripple in her side. Feeling rotten, horrible, and like a total brat, I excused myself and made my way back downstairs, returning promptly to the kitchen to refill my glass. I noticed that a griddle had been left unattended and was currently cooking some delicious-looking breaded squash. I flipped a couple of pieces over, inhaling deeply their delicious scent.
     I looked around the kitchen, realizing it was now empty and I was alone. The sounds of holiday music, laughter, and children playing wafted in through the doorway, and I felt an all-too-familiar hollow pang deep in my chest. I wondered what my father would do tonight for this holiday, if he was having a nice dinner, too, or if he was once again eating just another TV dinner. Would I have to bring him a plate of food over later tonight, as I had done for countless years past? Once again, he'd decided that the family was far too terrible and hateful towards him for him to show up.
     I turned my back on the happy sounds and downed the entire glass of wine, the sharpness of its flavor almost gagging me. That's right, Dad, I thought bitterly, we're just all out to get you. It's all about you, everyone else be damned. I hung my head low, and my eyes began to mist over with the same tears that always visited me during the holidays.
     But not today. I dashed away the tears from my cheeks, refusing to let his absence yet again ruin another holiday for me. Squaring my shoulders and lifting my head high, I refilled my glass and made my way back into the living room, back to the rest of my family. Yes, this would be a holiday I would enjoy--all else be damned.
    

© 2009 .Bunnie.


Author's Note

.Bunnie.
Once again, my step-daughter in the 5th grade had to write some story and use all of the listed words in the beginning. Being a sucker for a writing challenge, I had to do this myself! After glancing over the words, a Thanksgiving dinner just popped into my mind.... Here goes nothing! :P Hope you enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, this was a great write, and funny in a way.
~D♥m♥~

Posted 14 Years Ago


I enjoyed this, especially with thanksgiving right around the corner. My family doesn't get together very often so it was nice to read about a family that does. The descriptions were colorful and captivating. Wonderful write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


very nice. I liked it a lot.
Our family doesn't really celebrate thanksgiving, which made this nice to read... at least for me anyway. Good job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ha this was very funny! i enjoyed this, it reminds me of myself and my brother, Jane would most likely be me and Shane would most definitely be my brother, except my brother is meaner, HE CUT MY FINGER OPEN 4 YEARS AGO AND I STILL HAVE A SCAR, granted i did hit him in the head with a metal baseball bat the summer before.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Well�.I remember these from school and later in a creative writing class. I see that you currently live in Illinois, but for some reason your Thanksgiving story has a southern "feel" to it. Or perhaps I should say a country feel to it. Yes! The other reviewers are right. The reader certainly does get a feel for the occasion, the festive feel of holiday cheer. I can see the colors and almost smell the turkey and fragrant stuffing. You have a wonderful imagination and a flair for colorful word play. Wonderful writing�.even for a school project. Let's see more. Thanks for sharing-

mark


Posted 14 Years Ago


A good read - it reminded me a lot of old thanksgiving and christmas movies with a large, traditional family. I always loved those movies because it showed a loving family in all their zany action who refused to let a few snags bring down their holiday cheer.

"Troy, a tiny boy with red hair and freckles, hurtle a particularly menacing "B" block towards the wall." This made me laugh, even though I'm pretty sure you meant "hurtled". :)

The ending cut like a knife for me. It's a blunt reminder that even though everyone is happy and times are good, there's always that odd man out who's sulking in misery somewhere else. For me, that's pretty much my entire family so I'm used to it, but for a large family who gets along so famously the (your) father is allowing his misery to dictate how he lives and thus misses out on things some people (like myself) would give anything for.

Good usage of the words provided. A+ kiddo. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oh my, what a zany, creative write you have here. Very well done. Don 't you jsut love when the kids have assignments, and we get all excited.. I have done so many for mine.. You did a great job with this!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow again your colorful descriptions bring the whole scene to life as you captured the true essence of the holiday enjoying all those moments with family, your details were superb as I pictured the whole wonderful scene... I love that mention of getting the old christmas music out, it is funny how everyone starts playing it Thanksgiving... Then the ending, you really brought such a gut wrenching twist... how just the absence of one person can still bring loneliness even when surrounded by so many. That was gripping and powerful.

Posted 14 Years Ago


i see what you were saying about the detail but i think you did a wonderful job! :) i could really see it in my mind and i think thats the key to great writing. i think the reader has to really see it in thier head.. like i said wonderful job:)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Bunnie, this was great. At first, a meticulous recreation of the sights, sounds and smells of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. The descriptions are first rate and sell the story. One feels as if a guest in the middle of all the festivities using the Chelsea character as your guide. The story sets the reader up with all the laughter and fun and warmth the holidays promise. Then yanks the rug out from under you, revealing the hidden sadness that lies temporarily masked by the forced merriment of the holiday season. An excellent reflection of this dilemma we share and the reminder of not letting the past get to you during your times of happiness.

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

453 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 13, 2009
Last Updated on October 14, 2009

Author

.Bunnie.
.Bunnie.

Belvidere, IL



About
Okay, so I think I'm scrapping all my old s**t and starting fresh!! I took a break from Writer's Cafe, but I'm back!! So a little debriefing about me. I started out reading romance novels when I w.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5