A girl wanted to be a poet

A girl wanted to be a poet

A Poem by Dupur Mitra


A girl wanted to be a poet, her father said- nice news but her mother breathed loudly.


The girl walked step by step, a yellow coloured bird was singing a song and the air was filled with the essence of flower.


The girl wanted to express her heart, but the literary editor raped her.


The girl sat beside her mother without any sound and never tells her father that she wants to be a poet.

© 2012 Dupur Mitra


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful, melancholic and tragic. The narrator's voice is detached, which gives even more power, to this poem... Here in America I have read a recent story about young girls being taken advantage of in India, and the stigma that it brings upon them in some quarters of society, it is heartbreaking. This poem personifies/personalizes that issue for me. Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is too sad...because the girl who might have been a poet...telling of a coloured bird and flowers...will never sing...

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a very sad story in the poem. To abuse and destroy a dream is wrong. A very sad tale in the powerful poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well Dupur, I honestly wouldn't know beans from franks from a good or bad poem. I'm just a story teller. But seeing the other reviews it appears you did OK. I'm glad. I think you should keep writing, even if it for just yourself. I hope others get moved by it. :) JW

Posted 11 Years Ago


????

Posted 11 Years Ago


Personal opinion, I fail to understand this piece.
I wouldn't worry about that because clearly it is only me
you have a very good response, I think I'm a little too uneducated for these types of pieces, I think I understand the message but I do agree with however
it was written slightly too blunt and harsh.

Please don't hesitate to request any other pieces, Apologies for the disappointment.

-JiDonnelly'

Posted 11 Years Ago


Touching, & proof that poets should carry knives. ;-) Not clear whether the literary editor rape was literal or textual (literature is hardly casting-couch-like).

A poet is one whose soul is lyrically open. . .being a warrior of intent is also recommended.

Daring to be is the essence of art.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tragic.....such a sad story, heartbreaking that It happens

Posted 11 Years Ago


tragic tale...Unfortunately it contains a lot of truth

Posted 11 Years Ago


Unexpected turn of events! Well written, but a bit too brutal and harsh I'd say.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautiful, melancholic and tragic. The narrator's voice is detached, which gives even more power, to this poem... Here in America I have read a recent story about young girls being taken advantage of in India, and the stigma that it brings upon them in some quarters of society, it is heartbreaking. This poem personifies/personalizes that issue for me. Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 20, 2012
Last Updated on October 20, 2012

Author

Dupur Mitra
Dupur Mitra

Dhaka , Bangladesh



About
Dupur Mitra, is a poet and fiction writer from Bangladesh. Studied PhD from Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka in biodiversity and forest management. Published two books in Bangla, named 44 Kobeta (44.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..