Rape

Rape

A Poem by Dupur Mitra



Every movie have to take a rape scene
Because it is commercial
Because peoples want to see this
Movie will not be commercially benefited
if rape scene is not taken

So we want to see the rape scene
want to get pleasure to see the rape scene

The girl was seen as a loud piercing outcry
The girl was seen to drown at the sea
The girl was seen to save herself at last  
The girl was seen to cry for living

We got pleasure from these
We get pleasure from these
We shall get pleasure from these...

© 2012 Dupur Mitra


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

None but the victims of this type of crime can fully know its brutal depth and long-lasting ramifications. However, if we who can, in any way, empathize and imagine it happening to ourselves, our sisters, daughters, mothers or the person next door or even someone on the other side of the world then it is time to act. First, understand the roots of the problems and attack the roots with all the power of the individual, the group, and society as a whole. Second, establish awareness and demand recognition in the form of legislative, judicial, religious and social change. Third, understand that change will not come quickly. It will not come at all without action and that action and awareness must be sufficient and sustained; forever. Also, be certain that there are more types of rape than merely physical. But, first things first. Consider this poem, it's impact upon you after reading/interpreting/translating it into your own particular sphere of existence. Does it motivate you to action, words, or merely thought? What can you do? Anything? Nothing? Why?

I rate this poem on two levels. First as a poem and then as a message; a clarion call for social justice. On the first, I give it a high score even though it is not without its flaws. As regards the latter, I score it well above the highest possible mark. Thank you, Dupur.




Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

thnx
Graphic! But not inappropriate, this goes on in life, just look at the film "Last house on the left" there's a rape scene in that which is the main storyline of the movie. It's tactically approached, not graphic as in it's terrible to read, it outlines the realism of the actual act. I'll be honest and say I have written a rape scene in my time as a writer and the criticism you get can be overwhelming, especially when you have to hand it into a teacher -_-, of course it's not to everyone's exact "taste" some people are sensitive, especially if they've been through it! On the other hand it's truthful and when it's written properly like this, it's powerful and hits the message home. Be careful if you've sent this out to friends for a read requests, some people hate anything violent or graphic, I don't really care what I read, I've read murder pieces written from the murderers point of view and it doesn't really bother me so feel free to send stuff like that to me because it doesn't bother me, however people may find it offensive!
I do like it, it's a little unsteady on the English but it's fine, it creates a vibe of misunderstanding almost, very powerful, emotive and it does make a statement as mentioned below. I like it as a piece, I'm not saying I like the idea of it, I'm against rape and domestic abuse but it's a topic close to home with my writing in "Madeline". I think people who embrace the negativity from most things in life which do go on are very strong people with guts to show how they feel about it without sounding sorry for themselves if it's happened to them - we don't need to know that if it has right?
Well done! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

thnx
Great poem that indeed makes a statement.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

thnx
A great poem, that looks at the way that women are portrayed as sexual objects in the media, the male dominated film industry and television.So a noble gesture here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

thnx
You tend to write about typical things or small issues, but the way you write about them makes them seem much more significant. Very good

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

thnx
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tex
I would prefer the following changes: question marks added after these sentences:

Because peoples want to see this?
Movie will not be commercially benefited
if rape scene is not taken?

So we want to see the rape scene,
want to get pleasure to see the rape scene?

We got pleasure from these?
We get pleasure from these?

I would prefer the last line to read... Shall we get pleasure from these?

If written this way you will not condemn all your readers and I feel you will have a much more powerful write because you will drive your readers to ask questions about themselves. People who feel judged will fight to maintain their position. But I don't think you want that, I think you want them to question their position and maybe even move them to change.

I for one, attempt to never watch a film or read a book that contains a rape. I just do not want to pay to see something so horrific. I very nearly did not read your poem just because of the title but decided to take a look and was determined that if it did not condemn rape in some way or if it was graphic, to stop reading and move away to something else, and yet... I have been judged by you along with every other reader as gaining pleasure from this horrific act.

You should know that many of your readers are victims of rape. This poem, as written is another cut to their soul.

I am giving you high marks because I think your intention was good, but I think with the changes noted above you will have a greater chance of achieving your goal.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

thnx




India plans to name and shame sex offenders after brutal attack

The woman who was gang-raped on a bus in India, sparking nationwide demonstrations against sexual violence, died last night in hospital.

The 23-year-old had been airlifted to Singapore for treatment for brain and other injuries after being attacked, but doctors were unable to save her.

She had been repeatedly raped, had an iron rod shoved into her body causing severe organ damage, and was beaten about the body and head.

Dr Kevin Loh, chief executive of Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore, announced her death last night, saying: “She was courageous in fighting for her life for so long against the odds but the trauma to her body was too severe for her to overcome.”

The woman had been in a critical condition since arriving at the hospital two days before her death. Mr Loh said she had “passed away peacefully” and that her family was by her side when she died.

“Despite all efforts by a team of eight specialists... her condition continued to deteriorate over these two days. She had suffered from severe organ failure,” he added.

The woman and a male friend had boarded a bus on 16 December when they were attacked by six men. Neither victim has been named, though elements of the Indian media have referred to the woman as “Amanat”, an Urdu word meaning “treasure”.

The crime in New Delhi has prompted violent protests demanding the authorities take a harder line against sexual offenders and offer more protection for women.

Among the responses since the first protests has been, according to the Press Trust of India, a pledge by junior minister Ratanjit Singh that the government will create a database of convicted rapists and publish it, along with their photos, on a ministry website to shame them.

But in India it is often the women who are blamed after a rape, not just by ordinary people but by politicians and other influential figures who have cited women as being at fault because they go out wearing clothes that might be perceived as provocative.

Abhijit Mukherjee, a national lawmaker and the son of India’s President, Pranab Kumar Mukherjee, was forced into an “unconditional apology” when he spoke of “highly dented and painted” women who go from discos to demonstrations.

In Punjab, an 18-year-old woman killed herself by drinking poison a month after she told police she was gang-raped.

State authorities have now suspended a police officer and fired two others for allegedly delaying the investigatiion. The three accused in the rape were only arrested on Thursday, a month after the crime was reported.

“This is a very sensitive crime, I have taken it very seriously,” said Paramjit Singh Gill, a top police officer in the city of Patiala. Authorities in the eastern state of Chhattisgarh suspended a police officer who was said to have refused to register a rape complaint from a woman.

PUBLISHED 28 DECEMBER 2012



Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

right u r
...that's just inappropriate material in this forum, just my opinion.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

thnx
Dark and disturbing. But I guess that's what you wanted to achieve. I don't know if we are already at that level, but I guess where going nowhere but there. Anyway, I specially loved the last stanza. It perfectly portrays human nature. Great write. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

thnx
Disturbing read...and truth to it, which makes it even more disturbing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dupur Mitra

11 Years Ago

thnx

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

779 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 29, 2012
Last Updated on December 29, 2012

Author

Dupur Mitra
Dupur Mitra

Dhaka , Bangladesh



About
Dupur Mitra, is a poet and fiction writer from Bangladesh. Studied PhD from Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka in biodiversity and forest management. Published two books in Bangla, named 44 Kobeta (44.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cyber Girl Cyber Girl

A Poem by s y e


~ Abandonment ~ Abandonment

A Poem by s y e