The Night Before the Wedding   last part...i think

The Night Before the Wedding last part...i think

A Story by Vicky Carter
"

This is a 3 part story that wants to be a book when it grows up. The main theme is life with a sociopath. Life is never what is appears to be at the time.

"


Noon Saturday... a few hours before the wedding ceremony



Ashley paced her room upstairs. Her hand ached and throbbed. She was thankful her wedding gown was sleeveless. She was relieved her huge bouquet of red and white roses, mixed with random splotches of baby's breath nestled in lace and offset by ivy cascading down from the bouquet, would cover her hand. It really was beautiful.  Everything should be fine until it was time to exchange rings. This is where she needed a believable lie. A plan that would work if only for a few hours. Once Tony saw her hand he would demand to know what happened. Taking a chance, she dialed Tony's cellphone. Tony answered on the first ring, "Good morning, is this my future wife?" There was so much love and laughter in his voice. Tears came to her eyes.

Ashley laughed the tears away saying, "Absolutely, I have never seen time drag by so slowly."

"Me either", Tony said in a low sexy voice. His words stirred her the way no one else could."

"Hey, my soon to be wife, I thought we agreed not to talk to each other until we said our vows. What's up? Please tell me you are not having second thoughts."

Trying to laugh, Ashley began her lie. "Tony, baby you know how clumsy I am. Well, I did it again last night!  I was playing dress up in my wedding gown and tripped as I tried to take a 'Scarlett O'Hara' walk down our staircase. Ashley paused a second to see if Tony was buying this lie. He was silent so she went on. "Anyway, I tripped and sprained my left wrist and may have broken my ring finger."

"May have broken???? Why didn't you call me? Where you in the E.R. all night. Are you alright now!! Talk to he Ash...talk to me"

"Oh for heaven's sake NO I didn't go to the E.R. I didn't want to spend the night in that place. It isn't bad. Mama taped it up for me. It is in a splint. We can check it out later if we need to. I need for you to place my wedding band on my little finger. No one will know but you and me and Brother Deal, if he is watching that close. Ok?" Silence is all she heard for a few seconds.

"Are you sure you are alright, Ashley?"

"I am positive I am alright. How could I be any other way? We are getting married in less than two hours. In fact, in a few minutes we are leaving for the church. I want to dress there and spend some time with my bridesmaids. I love you Tony. You know me, I have been a klutz all my life, why should I have expected last night to be any different?" She faked a giggle.

Tony laughed too, saying "Woman I am sooo gonna take care of you for the rest of your life."

"I hope so Tony. With all my heart I hope so." she said as she closed her cell phone.

Her luggage was in the car. She began to gather her wedding attire.Finally, leaving this house was only seconds away.

Her mother, Matt and Abbey met her downstairs. They were all going to dress at the church. Matt had already filled their Blazer with all their clothes. Their father would meet them at the church at 1:30 p.m.  If for some reason he didn't show up, they had an alternate lie ready. They would say her father was suddenly sick with a flu like bug and Matt would give her away. In this family there was always a Plan B.

When They arrived at the church, Ashley took her first peek at the chapel. It was beautiful, almost beyond description. She prayed silently, "Please God, let me have this day".

Aunt Susan, her mother's sister, paid for her wedding. Aunt Susan was the rock they relied on but never ever confessed their lives to her. She had made it her mission to make sure Ashley had a perfect wedding day to remember forever. Red and white roses were everywhere. In the midst of the roses, huge hurricane lamps with candles snuggled leaving room for twinkling lights. There was a white arbor covered in ivy and lights, roses were nestled in the midst of the ivy. The church looked magical to Ashley. She thought it smelled like heaven.

Soon everyone was dressed. The three bridesmaids were wearing long, strapless red satin gowns. Abbey didn't want to be a bridesmaid. She was too shy and nervous to ever want to be the center of attention, even if only for a few minutes.  She sat on the pew up front waiting for her mother to be escorted down the isle.

The church filled with friends and relatives.  The piano played soft soothing music.  No one recognized the songs at first. Then Ellen, Matt, Ashley and Abbey heard "their" songs. It was the balm they needed for the day. Aunt Susan had put to music the songs Ellen hummed to her family in times of comfort. Their hearts swelled with pride, they were going to make it through the day.

Ashley stood alone in the vestibule waiting for her father or brother to escort her down the isle. Never had she looked more beautiful. The simple white gown accented her tan. The scoop neckline with small satin straps dipped into a low cut back. Her slim figure was accented by a tight waist leading to a long full floor length gown. The wedding gown train was almost six feet long, taking nothing away from her gown. Her veil was long and flowing. Ashley's long auburn hair was pulled up in loose flowing curls. When she first saw herself in the mirror she thought she looked like Ariel from the Little Mermaid. She laughed to herself, no one but her would ever make that connection. She was wrong, everyone did.

She was ready for the walk down the isle. The "Wedding March" would begin in a few minutes. No one was with her. Where was her father or brother? The doors opened and in walked Jack. He would have looked handsome to her if she didn't hate him so much. The bridesmaids had already walked down the isle.  Someone closed the door so the bride could make her entrance.

Without saying a word, he walked up to her and took her arm. She thought the doors would open and they would begin their walk. Once again she was wrong. Jack stopped, turned and lifted her veil. She held her breath. What was going on? Her father slowly gave her a kiss just barely touching the side of her mouth. Shocked, Ashley pulled back just as Jack clamped down on the side of her lip causing a drop of blood to form at the corner of her mouth.  He laughed. Pulled the veil back in place, knocking softly for the doors to be opened.

The "Wedding March" began for the second time. All eyes were on Ashley and her father as they walked down the isle together. Such a pretty family. Everyone thought how blessed this family was. She could taste her blood, as she walked down the isle. Ashley licked her lips hoping to be rid of it before they reached the alter. A crazy thought ran through her mind,her first kiss as a married woman would have the lingering taste of blood.  Her father couldn't even give her this day.

True to form when it was time give the bride away, Jack answered, "I give this bride away" omitting her mother completely. Later at the reception he would laugh and say he "was so nervous he forgot what to say". The family knew better. Nothing Jack did ever surprised any of them. Why should this day be any different? 

© 2013 Vicky Carter


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
Added on July 29, 2013
Last Updated on July 29, 2013

Author

Vicky Carter
Vicky Carter

Williamsburg, MO



About
I worked with the criminally insane for over 20 years. It was a job that suited my inquisitive nature and fed my imagination. It also put food on the table. My first love was reading. Now it is follow.. more..

Writing