The Last Sunrise

The Last Sunrise

A Story by Mackenzie
"

a sad story about a heartbreak

"

His voice was dry as chalk when he told me to leave. His eyes couldn’t meet mine but I knew he meant what he said. For a moment we stood in silence as the words hung in the room like dirty secrets that were meant to stay hidden. I soon gathered myself and tried to speak but I could only stutter a few words before sealing my mouth shut. Nothing I could say could change his mind. My shoes stumbled across the creaking wooden floor as I made my way to the door. In my daze he asked if I was okay to drive but all I could hear were echoes down a very long hallway before shutting the door behind me. I started my car with shaking hands and pulled out of his driveway almost as fast as I pulled into the liquor store parking lot.

 I sat in that parking lot all night drinking my little worn heart away, the rum streaming down my the sides of my mouth almost as fast as my tears. What a pathetic race. I puked a couple times before trying to start my car again but I was too drunk to find the right key and hold them steady. 

A silhouette formed outside my window followed by a tapping on glass. A man asked me if I needed a ride home and I mumbled a drunken “no I’m fine”. He picked me up out of my car anyway and I willingly sat in the passenger seat of some kind of truck. The engine came to life and we were on the road.

We drove and drove and drove and when I asked him where we were going he didn’t answer. We drove in silence. All night. All night until the sky changed colors and I was sober. I remember seeing the sun over the horizon and the most beautiful sky full of the softest colors.

 About a week later he noticed my car in the liquor store parking lot and opened the door only to be greeted by Captain Morgan, not a trace of me to be found ever again. The flowers dropped from his hands, fell to the ground, and blew away in the dirty city wind.


© 2017 Mackenzie


Author's Note

Mackenzie
Feedback, please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on January 10, 2017
Last Updated on January 10, 2017
Tags: love, heartbreak, sad, lonely, depressed, alcohol, breakup, short story

Author

Mackenzie
Mackenzie

Cincinnati , OH



About
I'm Mackenzie, I am 17 and have a great passion for writing (mostly) poetry. I joined writers cafe for some feedback on some of my work, so feel free to comment on any of my writing. If you have any q.. more..

Writing