Best Served Cold

Best Served Cold

A Story by M J Moore
"

Just a little bit of wicked fun.

"

 

It was an ordinary day for her. By ordinary, that meant boring. But what more could she expect, working as merely a check-out girl at the local grocery store. Sure, her coworkers could be quite entertaining, but lately they had been getting into more trouble than naught when they started having fun. They needed music in here, she thought. Or else allowed to listen to their iPods or something. Something to lessen the ever-present boredom and monotony of this job.

 

She stood there, smacking her gum and blowing a bubble, leaning nonchalantly on the counter when someone started putting their items on the conveyer. “Do you have your card?” she asked, not bothering to look up at him as she began to scan his items.

 

“No, just my phone number. 979-555-8886,” the guy said, his voice having almost a softness to it.  For some reason, that voice really grated on her wrong.

 

She typed the number into her computer as he said it, so that he could receive the discount on certain items. That number sounded damned familiar to her, but she couldn’t place it. Finally she looked up at him, her curiosity piquing. Her bubble popped with a loud smack, catching on her nose in a most embarrassing way. Fortunately for her, she didn’t get embarrassed too often or too easily. Though currently, she was a bit too flabbergasted by him to feel too much else.

 

He didn’t recognize her, at least not yet. She wasn’t too surprised. Her hair was a different shade since the last time he had seen her. It was red now, but it had been blonde back then. She had on  makeup currently, and well, when he’d seen her, after a goofy day at the beach, coffee shop, and then the stop at his house on the harbor, hair and makeup had long-been sacrificed for fun. And she seriously doubted he had paid too much attention to her to begin with. No, someone else had filled his line of vision then.

 

He still had not really noticed her, was too busy stacking cases of beer on the conveyer. There were about ten seconds that passed as she seriously debated on what to do to him. There was the obvious one, to jump across the register, launch at him with her hands out, and just tackle him to the ground, choking him. He deserved that, he really did. After what he did to her best friend, he definitely deserved some pain. He deserved a lot of pain.

 

But no, she thought. That would only get her fired, and though this job was boring as hell, it was easy and it paid. Not that well, but it paid. She wasn’t going to waste that on his sorry piece of a*s. He deserved something infinitely more wicked than physical pain. Mel had inflicted a bit of physical pain on him, but the poor girl had no clue how to go about inflicting the mental f**k. She smirked to herself. Oh, but she did!

 

“You don’t remember me, do you?” she finally asked him, with more than a bit of mockery and disdain dripping from her voice. Her eyes caught his, and she thought to herself that they weren’t as green as Mel had thought they were. They looked more like they were full of pee or mold or molded pee. But then, she wasn’t known for neutrality on a subject. He wasn’t as good-looking as she had remembered either. He had put on some weight. He definitely did not look like the boy her best friend had fallen in love with last year. But he was every picture of the one who had broken her heart.

 

He looked at her, studied her for a minute. She knew he was also appraising her with his eyes. She was female, she had breasts, and she wouldn’t doubt a part of him was measuring her up, just for s***s and giggles. She made him look hard in her smoky blue eyes, her best feature. She saw the moment that it registered with him who she was, he was pretty transparent.

 

“Wait, you’re Mel’s friend…” his voice trailed off before he caught a look at her nametag. “Katy, right? You dated Tony, right?”

 

She refrained from rolling her eyes at him outright. She knew he could be quite charming, she had seen him in action. But damn, he was far from charming her. “Yeah, I’m dating Tony. I met you out at your house on the harbor that one night.” She smirked inwardly, not quite the truth but close enough. She had met him before that, she had seen him after, but that night had been the most interaction she had ever had with him.

 

He smiled. “The night with the buttery n*****s,” he said with a chuckle and a far-away look that led her to know he was remembering more than just alcohol. Good. She wanted him to remember. “I haven’t talked to her in quite a while lately. How is she doing?” he asked.

 

“She’s actually been pretty busy lately,” she told him.

 

“With school?”

 

She let out a laugh. “Well, that. And her new boy toy. He keeps her pretty occupied these days.”

 

He stepped back for a minute as a surprised expression filled his face. It took him a minute, but he eventually found his tongue. “Really? She’s got herself a boyfriend?”

 

She gave him a wry smile. “Oh, yeah. I’m so proud of her. Our little nun has officially been kicked out of the convent. And she’s enjoying every minute of her exile.” She grinned down and started scanning at a fast pace so he wouldn’t notice the look in her eyes. Gods, this was better than she thought it would be!

 

“So what… why… how did she get this guy?” he stumbled.

 

Katy popped her head back up. “Oh, well, you know. It’s that same ol’ story. Some stupid sap,” she looked at him pointedly, “broke her heart. She learned her lesson. And has vowed to make it up to herself. He’s quite the stud, I’m told. And makes a hella good drink, so she keeps him around.”

 

He chuckled. “I can see her doing that.”

 

Oh dear lord, she thought. The moron still didn’t quite get it. “He's an exchange student from France. And he does this thing with his tongue… well, she’d kill me for telling, but she says it changes everything,” she added with a wicked little grin.

 

His jaw nearly unhinged at that and she applauded herself inwardly. “I’m so proud of her though,” she said as she continued to scan. She had to make this seem like it was just an ordinary conversation for her, not like she was plotting something for him. “I mean, I always suspected that she would be a little vixen once her cherry was popped, but the girl is insatiable, quite the little hellcat. I mean, the guy is mega-hot, and he worships her. I bet it’s the blow jobs,” she said offhandedly.

 

“The…blow jobs?” he asked, and she could tell he was trying to picture Mel giving a blow job while at the same time, he was fighting the image as well.

 

“Yeah. The girl has no gag reflex. I’m a good teacher,” she said, winking at him.

 

“So did she turn into a s**t or something?” he asked, squinting.

 

Katy let out an all-out laugh at that. “Hardly. She may practically be a nympho, but she’s not a s**t. A girl is born a s**t. She’s just turned horny. There’s a difference.” She hit the total button with a flourish. “That’s 94.23”

 

“What? Why’s that so much? I just bought beer.”

 

She gave him a cold glare. “Because you’re the one who broke her. Now leave.” She gave him an unpleasant smile, tight and controlled. Hell, even her bagger gave him a cold stare. Sure, the high school kid had never even met Mel, but the poor boy followed Katy wherever she went, and he knew if a guy was treated like that by Katy, then he damn well deserved it.

 

He grabbed his beer, looked around the store, then looked back at the cashier. “She turned me down that night.” He shook his head.

 

“Of course she did. She’s a good girl, and she had you in mind when she left. You had to work the next morning. She didn’t want your entire family finding out she’d spent the night. It wasn’t like she told you flat out ‘no, I’m not having sex with you!’ God, you really are a moron!”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

It was after five now, her shift was over. She turned off her light and closed the register. She walked up to him, trailed a hand across his big shoulders. She rose on tip toe to whisper to him, her lips almost brushing his ear and her voice at its most seductive.  “And just think, she could have rocked your world up one way and down the other. You really missed out there.”

 

He looked back at the short girl standing before him. This was the girl that knew Mel so well. This mere of a girl knew all the secrets that  Mel had never dared to even tell him, and all the secrets and personal stuff she no longer felt safe in telling him. He stared her right in the eyes. "She deserves better than me."

 

Katy watched silently as he walked out the double doors. OKay, so maybe he had a point. Mel damn well did deserve better than him, no doubt about it. Well, she smiled to herself. At least he knew it. And at least Mel had her French man to play with.

               

© 2008 M J Moore


Author's Note

M J Moore
Work In Progress. Formed out of my twisted thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great twisted thought. I don't usually have the patience to sit and read on the computer that long but it was a very interesting write. The detail of boredom, gum smacking, and thoughts running through her head, had me hooked into reading more. Interested in reading more. Thanks for sharing...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

M J Moore
M J Moore

College Station, TX



About
I want to be different some days. Some days I'm perfectly happy and content being me. I think in third person. I don't like to cry. Only 2 people can make me cry. I tend to strike out when I'm sad o.. more..

Writing