Reunion

Reunion

A Story by Kranthi Mangani
"

Vikram, the professional software consultant plans to attend his college reunion and he meets two friends who rarely spoke to them in the college. What is the deal? Read it to know more...

"

Reunion

                                   KKM

 

 

It’s been five years in IT industry and the interest towards the work is dried up. No interest in the job anymore.


This is Vikram’s situation at the age of 25 and he is guessing it is the same for most of the IT youth who were well educated and joined in IT as soon as they completed their graduation. There is no fun at work for the last 4 years. The first year was interesting and the second onwards, he started working on the weekends as well so no time to find a girlfriend and no time for any other activity.
As the days are passing through in life, he got an event alert from his graduation college about the reunion. He was the cleverest student in graduation but stubborn so did not have many friends who he can continue the friendship after graduation. Initially, he did not accept it. As it was popping up whenever he logs in, he finally thought of attending it to take a break from the regular work. He booked the ticket for night bus so that by the morning he will reach and on the same day evening he can attend reunion party in a hotel.
Finally, the date has come to attend the reunion party. Vikram needed some time off from social networking and did not want to get any weekend support calls from office so he switched off the phone.
Vikram got ready in the evening and went to the hotel alone. It seems he is late to the party. A lot of people accepted for an event but most of them did not show up. He greeted few and most of them are working in IT even though they were not that talented in graduation. He ordered one light beer and waiting for it. There were two other guys slapped him from the back and when he turned back there are Ramesh and Suresh who used to be most irritating and spoiled guys in the class.  They hardly spoke to him in the class.
Ramesh said, ’Hello Vikram, how are you doing?’
‘Good Ramesh. You remember me?’
‘Yes, how can we forget you? You were the bright student in the class. It is our honor that you remembered us,’
‘I remember everyone. What's up? What you guys are doing lately?’
‘ We are not doing boring IT job. Rather we are having thrilling experiences in life. You must be bored with your job. Do you want to join us in our next project?’
Vikram thought for a moment but did not want to take a risk and said, ’No, I am doing well with my job’
Ramesh and Suresh did not stop there. Suresh said, ’we know you must be thinking that we irresponsible guys enjoying the life and you as a topper in the class working for some employer to make them rich?’
Vikram thought again and said, ’Yes, you have a point. Let me try this out. What is the plan?’

‘Good that you agreed. Let’s go to the backyard of the hotel and we will explain you the plan,’ Suresh said.  Three of them got up and went back to the hotel.
They sat in lawn far from the group. Ramesh started explaining the plan.
‘There is a “Cash for Gold” shop near to my home. People sell the gold to him and get the cash in exchange. He gets almost 50 million worth gold every month and he transfers all the gold to the store room which is a bit far from the actual store once in a month. The very next day he takes the gold and goes to Mumbai to sell it again to the dealers. So we have one night to steal that from the store room and what I noticed is there is no security at store room. I followed him for few months to understand this. We will steal that and share among us. As it is gold, it will be easy to exchange in the market in future’
Vikram heard all that and asked, ’what if there is any other alarms and police catch us?’
Ramesh said, ’As far as I know there are no alarms. Even if there are, we will run away and drop the plan. As we try in the midnight there won’t be anyone to catch us.’
Vikram felt thrilling and accepted for the plan but said,’ Ok. We will execute this plan in 2 days as you said but one request is not to reach out on mobiles. We will meet near to the store room in 2 days
Ramesh and Suresh agreed to his request and disbursed to meet again.
Ramesh and Suresh had another plan before talking to Vikram. They studied Vikram so well in past few days. They noticed that Vikram is fed up with his job and looking for some thrill in his life. They need someone who can be the scapegoat if the plan goes bad. If everything goes as per plan they can easily beat him up and share among two. They knew that Vikram is good at studies but not good at playing tricks against them so they chose him.

Finally, D-day has come to steal the gold. As per the plan three of them reached to the store in the midnight. There was no security in that area. All of them broke the lock and went inside. There was no alarm set up and no cameras anywhere. They looked at all over the room and found nothing suspicious. After a couple of minutes, Vikram said,’ I will go and see outside if there is anyone coming. Both of you break the locker and get the gold,’
Ramesh and Suresh said,’ True. We need someone outside to check,’
Vikram went outside and whispered, ’Go ahead. Nothing is suspicious here,’
both of them broke the locker and took out the bag which is full of gold. It will be easily worth of 50 million. They came out and three of them disbursed with the agreement that they will share in few days but Ramesh and Suresh had a plan to escape from the town next day.


Sun is up in the morning. Police surrounded Ramesh and Suresh home and caught them. Recovered the gold from them. But police found out that it is gilt, not the actual gold. They took them into the custody to find out the answer from them where the actual gold was hidden.
2 days back:
Vikram was travelling in a bus and passengers got down to have the dinner in between at one Dhaba hotel. Vikram also got down from the bus and ordered the food. All of a sudden, he started listening to his name from the back. He did not turn but he overheard them saying that,’ Vikram is the right person to team up based on our study. He is good at studies but he is not intelligent. We will use them as a scapegoat in case if we get caught.’ He understood that someone had the plot to do something and make him a scapegoat. He thought that anyways they are going to meet him in few days so he did not turn back to know who they are. In a couple of minutes they went into another bus which was also stopped at Dhaba for dinner break.

 

When he reached the Reunion party and after speaking to Ramesh and Suresh he understood the plan i.e for the safer side he told them not to use a mobile phone for communication.
Once he reached the city, he contacted the jewelry shop owner and explained the plan. Vikram told him,’ I have a plan and we both can make money out of it’
‘How can I trust you?’
‘I am not saying you to trust me but you can make money out of it without any risk and we can send them behind the bars’
Shop owner thought for a moment and said ,’Ok. Tell me the plan’
Vikram explained in detail,’ you make the gilt of the jewelry and keep it in the store room. They are not that intelligent to recognize the difference between actual and gilt. Meanwhile set up the secret cameras in the store. We will edit the recording in such a way that am not there in the videos before hand over to the police.
They will steal the gilt and they never be able to bring back the actual. You will have your gold and claim the insurance for the loss of the gold. Half of the insurance amount is mine.’

After 2 months Vikram got the 25 million cash from the jewelry shop owner and he resigned from the job to start a startup.



Disclaimer:

All characters and events depicted in this story are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

 

Copying this without my permission is illegal.

© 2016 Kranthi Kumar Mangani(KKM) ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

© 2016 Kranthi Mangani


Author's Note

Kranthi Mangani
Story happens in India

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on August 13, 2016
Last Updated on August 13, 2016
Tags: Reunion, Software