My Holy Communion: That's What Jesus Said

My Holy Communion: That's What Jesus Said

A Story by melril18
"

A personal narrative we wrote in Pre-AP English II

"

“The body and blood of Christ, given for you.”

These are the ten words that saved my life. I dip my “Jesus Sandwich” into the chalice filled with wine (that is actually Welch’s grape juice) and move to the alter. Kneeling, I intertwine my fingers and let my mind enter into gracious comfort.

 

Lord, please…

I start to pray but am interrupted by the Holy Spirit pulling my eyes upwards. The purple stained-glass cross catches my attention and my focus lingers there for what seems like eternity. Bowing my head once again, I restart my prayer.

 

Heavenly Father, You’ve blessed me so immensely.

I feel tiny tears forming at the corners of my eyes, but it’s okay because they’re happy tears. I close my eyes and I can see Jesus on the cross, the cross on which He was so brutally murdered. My hand flies up to clutch my necklace and I hold it, three small silver crosses clasped between my fingers. My elbows on the alter rail, I have a conversation with God.

 

Hey Jesus, You’re really awesome. I love you so much. Thank you for dying for me.

Sounds elementary, right? This is how most of my prayers go. Simple, satisfying, and celebratory, and God always, always talks back, just not always in words.

I feel an almost electric sensation and I know it’s God hugging me. Wiping the tears from my eyes, I stand up slowly, lightheaded. I walk slowly back to my pew and sit in my normal spot between Katie and Ben. I pick up my green covered, post-it not suffocated, blue ink splattered Bible and hold it tight.

 

You died for me, because You love me.

It’s a concept that’s hard for me to fathom.

 

Melaina, I do love you. So much. Tell people. Tell the world.

In that moment, I knew I was going to be a pastor.

 

I don’t like to say it was my Calling because that sounds dramatically cliché. I like to use the phrase, “That’s What Jesus Said.”  In the moments following, I cried, I laughed, I prayed some more. I wasn’t sure what to do next.

Katie! Guess what I just found out!” I turned to my youth leader, filled with passion.

“I’m going to be a pastor!” She smiled knowing exactly what I meant.

“I know! I’m so happy for you!” She responded, genuinely.

 

I walked out the door into the beautiful spring warmth that my Father created, looked up at the sky, and smiled.

 

© 2011 melril18


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on October 12, 2011
Last Updated on October 12, 2011

Author

melril18
melril18

OK



About
I've been told I'm very charismatic. I love God, music, dance, and people. Words fascinate me. I love life and try to make the most of it. And that's me. more..

Writing