Death, Love, and My Un-Biological Family

Death, Love, and My Un-Biological Family

A Story by melril18
"

About a mission trip/camp I went to two summers ago.

"

Some people come into your life, stay for a while and then leave. Others come into your life and stay forever. This summer I met some of both and they all changed me for the better in one way or another. On June 6th 2010, it was about 2 AM. I couldn’t sleep. I was excited, nervous, and completely and totally awake. Somewhere way deep inside I knew that in less than 10 hours, I’d be at Youth Force. I just couldn’t grasp the fact that I was blessed enough to have this opportunity. I was asleep for maybe 5 hours before I woke up at 8 to get ready for Sunday school. At 9:30 my dad and I loaded all my bags and our ladder into my mom’s Mazda CX-9. We all got in the car and drove to Quail Springs United Methodist Church. I could barely contain my excitement. At 11:10 Katie, Andrew, Jason, Mackenzie, Roy, Kelsey, Emily, Lindsay, and I went up to the alter where Reverend Doug Burr blessed us and prayed over us. We loaded all our stuff into the van and were on our way to Wesley United Methodist Church.

When we got there we were split up into God Squads of people from different Methodist churches that we would stay with all week. I was on God Squad L with Lindsay, Tom, Rodney, Trent, Nick, Garrett, Jordyn, Amanda, and Taylor. These are the people that I would come to know and love in only 4 ½ days.

On Monday morning we all met in the lobby of the OCU dorms at 7:30. We got in our van and started driving to the house we’d be working on all week. When we got there we met our home-owners, Joe and Leona Paris. I can honestly say they are the most gracious and caring people I have met in my entire life.

 Most God Squads were assigned “simple” tasks such as repainting a porch or something but my group got “THE” roofing job. We ripped off the Paris’ roof and put a new one on in 4 days. On Tuesday we were up on the roof by 7 AM and didn’t get down until 4. We ate breakfast and lunch on the roof. Both meals usually consisted of biscuits and/or gravy. That didn’t bother me at all. Every day at lunch we would have a devotional in which we would pray and read Bible verses. When you’re stuck on a roof for 9 hours straight with the same 10 people for a week, you learn to get along with them fast. Trent, Garret and I had hour long conversations about music and made up our own songs.

We also had worship and recreation every night after dinner. All the sermons were really powerful but the ones that stick out the most to me are Tuesday and Thursday night. Tuesday afternoon as soon as I got back to my room, my phone rang. It was Ariel. She told me that one of our good friends from middle school had lost her battle with Leukemia on Sunday. That night the guest pastor asked if there was anyone who was just going through a rough time and needed to come pray at the alter. My youth group took me up there and prayed over me while I cried and let everything out. I remember Lindsay repeating over and over “God is good ALL the time.” I was in a sanctuary with hundreds of people in it. I had strangers come pray over me. People I’d never met before came hugged me without even knowing what was going on. I truly felt God’s presence that night.

On Thursday night we had a foot washing service. We sat in a circle with our God Squads. I was sitting in between Taylor and Garrett. It was the most powerful thing I have ever experienced. After all our feet had been washed, just like Jesus washed his disciple’s feet, we prayed together. We were standing in a circle holding hands and everyone was crying and praying and just being. That was the night I realized just how much these 9 people who had come into my life so unexpectedly meant to me. For the first time in my life I was filled with pure joy. That’s how moving that service was. It was absolutely beautiful.

After that we all drove over to OCU where there was a dance. The music they were playing was not of my liking so I was just chilling in the lobby with some of my church friends. Then I saw someone sitting in a chair next to me wearing a shirt that said “got music?” Of course, I was intrigued and just HAD to talk to them. So I go over and say “Hey, my name’s Melaina. I like your shirt!” Little did I know that this was Joe Pearson and in the next 8 months he would somehow become my best friend and totally turn my life around.  I had no idea that he would bring me closer to God, be a huge inspiration to me, and be an amazing friend. I didn’t know that this person that God brought to me would be willing to have a random, sleep deprived conversation about music with me at 6 in the morning after neither of us had slept for 2 days. I had no idea that he could potentially save my life.

 In 6 days, I became a better, more loving person. I experienced death, love, and met my un-biological family. I met people who couldn’t begin to understand all the things they’ve done for me. I ate biscuits and gravy 10 different times that week and I am being completely honest when I say that it was the best week of my life.

© 2011 melril18


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on October 12, 2011
Last Updated on October 16, 2011

Author

melril18
melril18

OK



About
I've been told I'm very charismatic. I love God, music, dance, and people. Words fascinate me. I love life and try to make the most of it. And that's me. more..

Writing