A Reign of Fire

A Reign of Fire

A Story by M.L Moon
"

Four kingdoms can only have one queen. Raija, Princess of the North, has to battle the princesses of the west, east, and south in order to rule the four realms and claim victory.

"

A long time ago, there were four kingdoms. Kingdom of Astella, Kingdom of Larenna, Kingdom of Cynna, and Kingdom of Afandra. They were all divided into equal sections. There was the North, the West, the East, and the South. One princess ruled each area. But they weren't just ordinary ladies. They had strong, powerful, magic that could do anything. Each year, the four princesses have to go onto the battlefield, and use their magic to destroy one another in order to hold high the torch, and claim victory. The winner of the battle takes the throne and rules all four realms until death. 


"Are we almost there, Lord Miram?" Raija asked tiredly. The chubby, wise, man drank from his rich cup of wine, and nodded. 


"We are passing the battlefield, princess," Lord Miram responded dryly. The princess inhaled sharply and glanced out of the small window. The dawn lighting in the sky illuminated the silhouette of the stale black trees, as the sun was just beginning to rise.

Raija, Princess of the North, was riding her royal carriage towards the south; where she would meet Lord Ignatius. 

Raija worried tremendously over the thought of going out of town to meet the royal man. In just a few months, Raija will be battling the princesses of the West, East, and South in order to rule all four realms. She would claim the throne, and finally be queen. Raija has been Princess of the North for only so long, and she can't bare to lose power just yet. 

But Raija knew that she wasn't at all that power crazed. She was graceful, wise, and understanding. 

Although, as much as Raija disliked the idea, Lord Miram, who is her representative, had always told her:It would be a great dishonour to reject a lord's invite. 

Lord Miram saw the despondent frown that pulled upon the young princess's face as he asked, "is everything alright, princess?" 


Raija turned towards her representative, and swallowed hard. "I'm just afraid that something might happen once I'm there," She responded darkly. 


"My dear princess," Lord Miram chuckled as he placed a warm hand on her stiff shoulder. "I won't let anything happen to you. I promise." 


Before Raija could even respond, the carriage had already stopped. Indicating that they have finally arrived in the South. Lord Miram was the first to exit. Raija stifled a playful laugh as he struggled to fit his chubby frame through the small doorway.

After then, it was Raija's turn. She slowly stepped out of the carriage, while gripping onto the sides of her dress. Lord Miram closed the door behind her, and held her hand tightly. And so they began to walk through the castle gates, the brisk Southern air tentatively hitting their faces. Raija found that it slightly calmed her frustrated nerves. 

The castle was quite tall and rich. It was built entirely out of metal and stone. Unlike the castle in the north, it was fairly small in size. On the right stood a statue of Queen Larenna, for which the kingdom was named after. Her signature smirk was engraved onto the strong metal, as well as the golden crown that she had always wore. 

Stories always said that Queen Larenna, lady of the South, was always enemies with Queen Astella after she had won the battle and claimed the throne.

The castle was empty except for the maids that cleaned the large rooms. Lord Miram and Princess Raija walked towards the dining hall where Lord Ignatius wanted to meet her. 

Lord Miram suddenly stopped walking, and turned towards the young princess. 


"It is time. You must go in on your own," Lord Miram said solemnly. Raija slightly gasped and shook her head. 


"No! I-I can't," she stuttered weakly. "Why can't you come with me?" 


"Because Lord Ignatius only wants to see you, not me," he explained. But before Raija could say one more word, the grand double doors opened, and a loud voice greeted her. 


"Princess Raija! You have finally arrived!" Lord Ignatius cried triumphantly. The startled princess turned around, and smiled at him weakly. 

She gently lifted the sides of her dress, and politely curtsied. Lord Ignatius took the princess's hand, and allowed her into the large room. Raija wistfully glanced back at Lord Miram who nodded at her assuringly. She bit her lip and turned her attention back to the meeting. 

They settled down onto the rich fabric blue chairs, while servants served plates full of cheese, grapes, meat, and wine. Lord Ignatius patted the arm of his seat and asked, "so tell me, Princess Raija. How are things in the North?" 


Raija fiddled with her thumbs nervously. "Well...it's alright, I guess. The knights are just preparing for the battle of Stone Keep." 


Lord Ignatius took a sip of his wine and nodded approvingly. "Ah, my knights as well," he said. "They are quite the warriors." 


"Exactly how many men do you have, my lord?" Raija asked curiously. The conversation was going fairly well and she didn't want it to be too awkward or boring. 

People always said that Lord Ignatius was always an entertaining man. 

Lord Ignatius thought for awhile, his silver blue eyes pondering into wonder. "Hmm...maybe six thousand? Fifteen thousand? I'm not sure." 


Raija nodded understandingly. Ever since the middle ages, the South had always had the second most strongest knights of all of the four realms. Next to the North. They won ten battles against the West and five against the North. The Southern knights are quite powerful. 

 Lord Ignatius then suddenly asked, "if I may dare to ask...do you have any children?" 

Raija shook her head solemnly. "No, my lord." 

"Well then, a fine young lady like you should be married to a brave soldier," Lord Ignatius stated gravely. Raija just sat there, wordless of her response. She didn't want to be married to a soldier. Even if he was brave. 

She wanted to be by herself in this kingdom of the queens. She wanted to become Raija, the blood and true daughter of Queen Astella. 

Raija shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "That is very thoughtful of you, my lord," she said. "But I am not planning on marrying a soldier." 

Lord Ignatius lifted his gold cup, and drank from it until he was satisfied. He then pulled his fat, pouty, lips into a tight smile as he said, "You know that you are to be queen someday." 

The princess nodded numbly. 

He continued, "And if you want to claim the throne, you must have a child in hand." 

Raija swallowed hard, and stared down at the tablecloth. If she dies in battle, and is child less, the North will be left without a ruler. It has always been that way;so that no one can just plop themselves down on the throne. Either way, it's still going to be painful. 

"Pardon me, my lord." Raija said slowly, her eyes slowly trailing up towards the man dressed in gold. "But I don't want a child! I just want to claim the throne and bring back the honour that my family once had." 

"And you will," Lord Ignatius said abruptly. Raija licked her dry lips and inhaled sharply. Her head spun in a thousand circles just talking about it. For once she didn't want to be queen just yet. She wanted to turn back time, and be that little girl who would always run free in the daylight. 

Lord Ignatius slowly reached his hand across the burnished tabletop, and gently patted Raija's stone hand. 

He began to speak deeply. "I believe in you more than I believe in my own daughter, Princess Raija. You are the blood and true daughter of Queen Astella. You have the power to lift up that torch, and call yourself queen;because that is what you will be. Now and forever." 

Then, he slowly leant down and kissed the top of her hand. Raija, proud of his words, smiled softly and bowed, before exiting the room in triumph. 

© 2013 M.L Moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on October 20, 2013
Last Updated on October 20, 2013
Tags: action, fantasy, teen fiction, historical fiction, love, romance, betrayal, magic, witches, warlocks, game, fire, others

Author

M.L Moon
M.L Moon

Canada



About
Hello! xxx My name is Malisa (Pronounced like: Melissa) and I am a twelve year old writer :) I have been writing for four years, and I have always grown up with reading stories. I am a complete.. more..