Conversations With Steve

Conversations With Steve

A Story by Jacqueline
"

Remembering my cousin Steven-who loved to make people laugh

"

 

 
Conversations with Steve

 

 

What’s up, cuz?

 

Nothing; just thinking about how crazy you used to be.  You used to get me in SO much trouble when we were kids!

 

We had fun though, didn’t we? We used to ring doorbells and run, make crank calls, sneak out the house when you spent the night…s**t, those were good times, man!

 

Yea, until Aunt Katherine would take the back of her brush and light our asses on fire!  And I had to go home and faced more trouble! 

 

Aw…quit crying!

 

It’s weird that you just said that to me… (Trying not to tear)

 

C’mon cousin, you know I don’t know how to handle depressing crap!  You know how I like to laugh and bullshit!

 

I miss your laugh!

 

Anyway…how are you doing?  Are you having fun in your life?

 

I go out sometimes, love reading and…

 

Boring!  What about the clubs? I’ve always wanted to go to New York and act a fool!

 

We’re not…I mean, I’m not 23 anymore!  I have a child; I’m in a relationship, trying to save up money to get a better place!  You know-responsibilities!  My God, sometimes you make me want to kill-D****t!  I f*****g hate this!  (Looking at old photos on the bed, in every picture he had the biggest smile!  I touch them and try to remember those good times)

 

Alright…it’s ok. (Sighs) Go ahead and let it out!  Seriously, cuz…it’s ok…

 

I lay on the bed and had a good cry.  This June will be the 2nd anniversary my cousin Steve was taken away from us.  He would have turned 36 this December.  It was in the local papers back home in Louisville, KY.  Steve was killed in motorcycle accident.  He loved his motorcycle, loved living life to the fullest!  He was the life of the party and didn’t bite his tongue.  He wasn’t mean spirited about it; he just couldn’t help being blunt.  This drew people towards him as his personality entered a room before he actually stepped foot inside it!  Oh, he drove the family crazy many times, but with his goofy grin he knew how to make us all shake our heads and say: “It’s just Steve being Steve!”  You couldn’t stay mad at him for long.

 

Un huh!  I knew I could make you laugh!  You’re remembering the time we hid behind clothes racks at Gimbles!  Man, both our moms were screaming their hearts out trying to find us!  I was right near Auntie’s leg and she didn’t even know it!  Hahahaha!  They nearly s**t bricks!

 

Yea, and when they snatched us up and took us in the dressing room passing the brush back and fourth after swatting our behinds was it still funny?!

 

To me!

 

I know! (Hiding face to giggle)  Hey, thanks for letting me mourn; I know you hate being serious.  I love and miss you so much!  We all do!

 

That’s ok, cuz…why do you think I’m around all the time?  I look over my wife, son, mom, and brothers…all of you hoping that you try and have some fun in your lives!  Why do you think that everytime you have memories of me, through out the tears you can’t help but laugh at some of the silly s**t we did? You’re all alive!  Stop stressing out so much and remember to laugh more in life!  No more tear stains on my pictures; you’re messing them up!

 

Ok, Mr. Smartass! 

 

Gotta run, cuz. You know I need to visit mom, make sure my wife has better dreams, and look after my boy.  I’ll see you soon!  Oh, and guess what?

 

What?

 

 

Chickenbutt!  Hahahahaha! 

 

Shut up Steve! (Giggling despite myself)

 

I made you laugh!  

 

 

He always does…

© 2008 Jacqueline


Author's Note

Jacqueline
RIP 6/06

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm glad you and your cousin spent time together and had fun in each other's company. Losing a loved one when he's so young is devastating. I lost my brother in 2003 and the love of my life (whose name was Steve) this last April-2008. He was 37 and he predicted to me that he would die at 35 because of his lifestyle.
I don't think much about my brother but at night, when I dream, Steve is there in my mind doing all the silly things he used to do that made ME laugh.

I honestly don't believe our loved ones really leave us. We keep them alive in our memories.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm glad you and your cousin spent time together and had fun in each other's company. Losing a loved one when he's so young is devastating. I lost my brother in 2003 and the love of my life (whose name was Steve) this last April-2008. He was 37 and he predicted to me that he would die at 35 because of his lifestyle.
I don't think much about my brother but at night, when I dream, Steve is there in my mind doing all the silly things he used to do that made ME laugh.

I honestly don't believe our loved ones really leave us. We keep them alive in our memories.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You know, thanks to you, Mr. Smartass is going to live forever. A little piece of him just ended up over here. Mind if I keep it. I've never met him but, through your eyes, he's someone I'd like to remember, too.

Thank you, so much, for having the courage to write all that down. He's very special and his cousin's pretty amazing.

Great, great write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2008

Author

Jacqueline
Jacqueline

Mineola, NY



About
I'm a mother, girlfriend, writer, bar friend keeper and gadgethound. I'm on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and more. Trying to shake the rust off more..

Writing