Understanding

Understanding

A Story by Jacqueline
"

Something briefly shared

"
Understanding



I force myself to fixate on a small brown paper bag that's lying on the floor of an otherwise clean bus I'm on. Sometimes my left hand checks to see if a small saltwater droplet have eased down my cheek; thankfully all I can feel is dry skin. Trees, cars, buildings-all a blur through the cinematic window. A little girl dropped her juice box on her dress and now both her and her exasperated mother is making a non melodious sound. People these days are too jaded to fully turn around to see what the fuss is about. If the sound isn't coming from ear buds that are attached to various mobile devices then it's not too big a deal. I turn my head and look. I wish my sadness was related to a dropped refreshment. I've lost more.

People walk on and off the bus at various stops, but myself and the little girl with her mother continues on. I can't help but peer at the chastised child, trying so hard to keep from making the woeful sounds that cause her irate parent to scorn. Her gaze finds mine and incredibly we share a brief understanding of loss; albeit mine more horrific than hers. I nod my head and look away and just for a second I allow myself to sob as I lie my head against the window, grateful for the few people around too wrapped up in their own little worlds. I catch myself before breaking down into a much needed cry. I wasn't too far from my destination and I would be amongst others who were waiting on me so that we could commiserate.

As luck would have it, the mother and child were getting off at my stop. Being courteous, I sat in my seat and allowed the hurried parent scoot her charge down the walkway. As the little girl, tears dried with the promise of another treat from her mom passed near me she patted my leg and smiled. I couldn't help but muster a weak grin in exchange before both left. If only life was as easy.

© 2009 Jacqueline


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a beautiful little story, the empathy of the little girl reminded me of my niece. Thanks for sharing this. I needed that.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

421 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 26, 2009

Author

Jacqueline
Jacqueline

Mineola, NY



About
I'm a mother, girlfriend, writer, bar friend keeper and gadgethound. I'm on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and more. Trying to shake the rust off more..

Writing