Warehouse

Warehouse

A Story by Christopher Michael Smith
"

Short story detailing a graphic dream I had long ago.

"
It was rather hazy as I walked into the industrial sized steel building. Everything neatly placed in its correct bin, labeled and waiting for use. The floor was concrete with yellow and red paint marking the aisles that were laid out upon the building like a rat maze. Different departments traced out in their own specific imaginary box. The air smelled of airborne metals and intoxicating fumes. Nothing less than an ordinary factory or complex created by what modern intelligence would label a product of the industrial revolution. An assembly line of daily repetition.

An old acquaintance greeted me as the dimension slowly presented itself in full panoramic view. We spoke of music and concerts. Longing for the taste of the sweet melodies to infiltrate the sound waves around us. No real words spoken, just telepathy passing between our two worlds, our two minds, as one. She then warned me of the demons I must conquer in this factory. She testified everything within a blink of an eye and as soon as the last vision transferred, she was gone. Faded out of this world as if she were only a fragment of my abstract imagination. 

I then made my way forward, as if I were an employee reporting to my station. I made my way conforming to the lines of red and yellow. I remember coming across an old friend that I once had in my high school days. Her name was Tabitha, and I remember her being the life of the party. Always ready to attempt something new. Always ready to bust the world wide open. Only now she seemed withdrawn and timid. Her anxiety reached levels so high that it was devoured by my aura and I empathized every ounce of her turmoil, touched every bit of her pain. Her physical body had grown old from wear and worry. Her left eye was bloodshot and the iris had no color. Drained of the beauty she once carried, I was quick to wonder what brought her to this presence. I approached her to initiate conversation but she demanded that I leave her be; to not speak one word to her, as if I were the culprit that sucked out the essence of her life. As if I were her parasite. I scurried away confused and perplexed by the way she came to be. 

Continuing along my path to my destination, I come across another friend, Toni. She was disoriented and fixed on a problem she had at hand. Mounted upon a forklift, she jumped off to share some words with me. As she came closer to me all I could smell was the coagulation and decay of blood. No other smell has such a signature. I cannot recall our conversation from the reek that took havoc upon my sinus cavity. Realizing my uninterested facial expression, she turned and walked back to her station. From behind I noticed a large stain upon the lower left of her torso. Crimson red drenched her clothing. Yet she acted as if nothing were paining her. I called out to her to address the situation, but my words fell silent in her ears. She had become deaf to my vocalization. I shook my head in dire concern, there was something not right here. Something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

As I stood there taking in the air of the recycled metallic smells filtering through the air conditioning, I heard a rustle from behind the pillar to my right. It was a sound not ever met by these ears. It spelled pain, death, and torment with every decibel of its squelch. I rounded the aisle to take in what was truly at bay. What then met my eyes was nearly soul enslaving at sight. There stood a creature, pale gray skin. It stood about six feet tall with no clothing, and no gender. Its legs were curved inward and cracked with every step it took towards me. Its torso was shriveled and dry; it looked like someone had shrink-wrapped decay itself. Arms twisting and turning like blenders set to puree'. The face resembled a melted candle with razor wire set in the gum line for teeth, and the tongue wanted to taste me. 

I turned and ran parallel to those two lines that paved the way throughout the building. Looking for an exit or an object to get this ghastly creature away from me. I made a ninety degree turn and realized there was a mechanism in the department I was running towards. I am not sure of what use this thing had in the factory, or why it was even there. From the ceiling dangled two lines no thicker than fishing string. Upon the ends of these lines were blades sharp enough to sever an atom. I dashed to the machine and hunted for a switch to turn it on. I flipped the switch and the blades began to swing in a circular manner. I then taunted the creature so that it would venture into the path of the swinging blades. With no eyes I was sure that it would meet its doom with certainty. Sure enough, as it approached the blades, its head began knocking backward. Hunks of the gray flesh began hitting the floor. Splat, splat, SPLAT! I stood there and watched as it was chopped down to nothing but a pile of unidentifiable gore; out of breath, not sure what was going on.

I gathered my thoughts and gained what little bit of sanity I had left. An exit sign then lit its red letters on the wall facing me. I stormed to the door, running so fast I felt as if I teleported. When I got to the door a small child took shape as if it were a guard and the exit was its treasure. She was a normal black headed little girl. She wore a black sun dress and classy shoes. The only thing different about this child from a human child was her smile. As she looked up at me, I took note of the slit she had from ear to ear. No lips. Just a bloody slit and she spoke to me. She told me that I had fallen to insanity. That I had killed these supposed demons that presented themselves to me. That these demons were not demons at all. They were my friends and their distortions were my inflictions upon them. I fell to my knees and quickly woke my self up. 

These dreams are really getting to me.... 
These dreams....

© 2010 Christopher Michael Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Basic truths as to these types of dreams that are telling you something about yourself in the spirit world ...
Yellow = destiny
Red = guilt
These two colours marked a path upon the floor. Black = female
White = male
You are not insane. You have not killed anyone but you. Your own guilt is destroying you. A sun dress is never black. The sun and darkness do not exist together. You should face your fear and your fear is yourself. If you find yourself in this place again, remember the colours and what they mean. Follow the yellow lines. Search for the Yellow Door ... it's the door of destiny. Look for a mirror and face your own image and discover what you fear. Facing your fear is far less frightening than living with a sense of helplessness. If you have wronged someone in your past, it's time to confront them and apologise. That will make the hideous creature in your dream go away forever. AGain ... look for the Yellow Door.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Basic truths as to these types of dreams that are telling you something about yourself in the spirit world ...
Yellow = destiny
Red = guilt
These two colours marked a path upon the floor. Black = female
White = male
You are not insane. You have not killed anyone but you. Your own guilt is destroying you. A sun dress is never black. The sun and darkness do not exist together. You should face your fear and your fear is yourself. If you find yourself in this place again, remember the colours and what they mean. Follow the yellow lines. Search for the Yellow Door ... it's the door of destiny. Look for a mirror and face your own image and discover what you fear. Facing your fear is far less frightening than living with a sense of helplessness. If you have wronged someone in your past, it's time to confront them and apologise. That will make the hideous creature in your dream go away forever. AGain ... look for the Yellow Door.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
1 Review
Added on May 31, 2010
Last Updated on May 31, 2010

Author

Christopher Michael Smith
Christopher Michael Smith

Clinton, NC



About
Ego sum qui sum - 'I am what I am' Poetry is my creative expression here upon this floating ball of dust called Earth. Nothing feels as appeasing as watching a pen glide across a virgin page, watc.. more..

Writing