A Short Story: The Window

A Short Story: The Window

A Story by moonrain123
"

This is a short story about strong emotions.

"

The room felt stuffy. The noise filled her ears, the chatters of incorrigible students that shrieked at every matter. Her eyebrows knitted as she tried focussing on her book. The words just kept swimming and blurring in her eyes. Nervously, she dug her nails into her skin and looked for just, she pleaded, an opening for her to crawl to.

And there was it. The window that she had always taken refuge.  Amidst the chaos in the class, the girl crept towards the window, as quiet as a mouse.

She placed her hand on the cold latch. Her hands were freezing. Already classmates were giving her death stares. Close the windows, its cold! They seemed to be saying. But the girl didn’t care. She giggled playfully as she saw mist coming from her mouth each time she exhaled. The chilly air blew past her cheeks, sending a shiver down her spine. She looked down and saw snow.

She couldn’t fathom what she was feeling at that moment. A sense of freedom, maybe? The whiteness of the snow and the bright sun just pleased her. Something was squeezing her heart, something was telling her that that was what she wanted. She could just run across the snow, and find a different home. A cottage maybe. With a Christmas tree inside, and the lights twinkling. And maybe a fireplace to warm her hands. Beside her, would be her grandparents. They would laugh as they saw her rip open her presents. She would smell cookies baking from the kitchen, the smell drifting towards her. She would see her parents, all snuggled up together and playing a game with her. She would see her baby brother, giggling at everything he saw. She saw candles lit up around the house, brightening the room and giving her the feeling she longed for. It was hard to explain to anybody that asked her. She longed for that feeling so bad that at nights she would cry just thinking about it. But that feeling… was something she knew she could never feel. Was it something about love, or home? She didn’t know.

And then, she suddenly knew what to do. She opened wide the window, and jumped down. Nobody could see her, she was like water splashing uncontrollably down. As she landed on the clean, soft snow, she put on her knitted mittens. Then, she pulled off her glasses and smashed it under her boots. Letting her hair flow freely behind her, she trudged on, seemingly to no destination. No, she had a destination. Wherever the snow took her. 

© 2015 moonrain123


Author's Note

moonrain123
I just wrote everything unconciously, ignore some grammar problems and please note this is REALLY short. And I know, I don't know what made me write this shorts story. It was just how I was feeling. Btw this was an assginment that I decided to take on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on May 14, 2015
Last Updated on May 14, 2015
Tags: strong emotions, emotions, cry, window, snow, seasons, short story, story, feeling, strong feeling

Author

moonrain123
moonrain123

Singapore, North West, Singapore



About
I love to write since I was young. I hope to express myself here! more..