Chapter 1 - "Familiar Faces"

Chapter 1 - "Familiar Faces"

A Story by Isabelle
"

I really don't even know what I'm doing... Just writing for fun.

"
The orange sunlight hit my eyelids as I woke up. Wearily, I opened them. I rubbed my eyes and lay on my side facing my alarm clock. I squinted at the clock, it read 7:34 AM. Looking around my small, but intimate room everything looked normal. The sun was trying to peep through the blinds, but I left them closed. I threw the covers off my body and sat on the edge of my bed with my eyes closed for a while. I usually didn't do this. I didn't even know why I was doing this. My feet blindly felt around for my house slippers and successfully located them. I slid them on my feet and continued to sit on the edge of the bed. Boy did I feel exhausted. My eyes could barely keep themselves open.
Sluggishly I dragged myself to the mirror and tried to pry my eyes open to peek at myself. Oh was I a sight to see. My hair was going every which way and my eyes looked bloodshot. Sighing I check myself out in the mirror. Looking back at me are two hazel eyes, a normal enough looking nose, not too fair skin and light pink lips. My hair was dark brown and almost up to my waist. 
I crept out of my room and opened the bathroom door which creaked with every inch it moved. I grimaced. So I quickly hurried inside. Back in front of a mirror I ignored my reflection. I undressed hastily and pulled the shower curtain back, and stepped inside. Wow did I hate showers in the morning. I shivered as I turned the knob to warm. The shower head turned on and I reluctantly stood under the water. 
After I was done taking a shower I grabbed a towel and tip-toed to my room. I quickly got dressed in my work clothes and styled my hair. Looking back at the clock it was 8:10 A.M. Not bad. It was Saturday and I had work later on. I worked at a small book store a few blocks away. I quite liked it, since I was surrounded by one of my favorite things. I went back to my bed to sit down and think. I sighed. My life was one big sigh. I had nothing going for me. Everything was too normal. I flopped on my back and stared at my ceiling. I thought of my two friends Cora and Nicka. I didn't really see the need for many close friends. Sometimes I wished I had friends that understood me. You know? Or that I actually liked. I feel guilty for saying that, but I mean I do like them... I get tired of things too easily. They were closer to each other anyways. I always felt excluded, like an outsider. In almost all situations. Of course I didn't tell them I felt this way. Little waves of depression crashed into my shore often.
Quietly I got up and walked out of my room. Before me was our simple living room. The kitchen, and my mom's room. We had a couch, coffee table and small televsion in the living room. I saw my mom laying on the couch. Her head was hanging to the side and her mouth was open. I could even hear a faint snore. A cigarette dangled loosely in her fingers. I went over and took the cigarette out of her hands and disposed of it. I also grabbed a blanket and draped it over her.
The television was also on, before I turned it off I heard a reporter say "more and more robberies-" 
I reached the fridge and opened it. A loaf of bread and left over macaroni were there. My stomach growled, but I ignored it and closed the fridge. I'd get something on my way to work. I opened the sliding door that lead to the balcony from the small kitchen. I sat on a plastic chair and just stared at my surroundings. I enjoyed doing this often. I was content. I lived in a nice enough neighborhood. I couldn't complain. I sat out there for quite some times and basked in the sunlight. I felt at peace. Looking at my watch I saw it was almost time to get going. On Saturdays I went to work earlier than usual. Sitting there for a few more seconds I didn't feel like getting up. I grunted and got up and started for my room. 
I packed my backpack with money, keys and other necessities, I grabbed a jacket and slung the backpack over my shoulder. I closed my bedroom door softly. Then walked over to my mom and kissed her on the forehead. I opened the front door and looked around the apartment one last time before closing it and locking it shut. 
I trotted down the steps and headed toward the bike rake where my source of transportation was. Yeah I could use my mom's car but I was more of a bike person. Unlocking it I got on it and started to pedal. I pedaled slowly. I had time on my side. It was a very quiet Saturday morning. Not many cars drove on the road. Soon enough I reached the nearest gas station. I brought my bike inside and looked for something to eat. I grabbed a muffin and a bottle of orange juice. Mr.Kol wouldn't care if I ate some breakfast, I thought. Quickly exiting I headed to the old bookstore. It was called Kol's Books. A simple name, I liked it. I parked my bike in the front and secured it. 
"Morning Mr.Kol!" I said as I entered the store. The jingle of the bell on the door was a familiar sound to me. 
"Hello Adira!" Mr.Kol said back to me. He was smiling while dusting off some shelves. I put my stuff in the backroom and surveyed the store. Everything seemed to be in order. It was not a large shop, but it was nice. Bookshelves were all across the walls, it was crowded with books. Books I've never even heard of. I hadn't had the chance to look at all of them yet. But I planned to. When we weren't busy I was usually behind the cash register reading up on a new book I found interesting. 
A few customers came in today, just some regulars. Not many people, that was strange for a Saturday. But I didn't question it. Then it got really slow. I was busy reading a book anyways. And Mr.Kol disappeared to somewhere. I lost myself in this book about a boy who lost his memory and can't remember anything. Time flew by so fast I didn't even realize it.
"Adira, I want you to sign off now. I might be closing up soon, I've got a date!" Mr.Kol said happily. That made me smile. I knew he had a pleasant family and a wonderful wife. 
"All right, Mr.K. Have fun on your date." I said with a wink. Checking the clock on the wall it was 1:48 P.M. I packed up my stuff and slipped my new book in my bag. I pushed the door open and went to my bike. No one was really walking around, it was usually a populated area. I walked my bike and I was about to get on it. Hmm I thought to myself. Maybe it has something to do with the robberies-
A man jumped in front of me and said, "Give me your bag!" He was wearing a ski mask and dark clothing. I tried to look for an exit, an escape route but I felt like he wasn't going to hold his fire. I put my hands up and slowly took off my backpack. He walked closer to me the gun was pointed directly at my chest. I started shaking and threw the bag on the floor and tried to run away. I heard a gun shot, and something that sounded like someone falling on the ground.
I could have sworn I was hit but I looked behind me and a young man was wrestling the masked man. The boy threw the gun to the side and pinned the thief down. I was shocked.
"Call the police! Quick!" He yelled. As I fumbled with my phone to dial 911.
After all that happened and the police filed a report. I was allowed to leave the scene. I walked towards the boy who saved me. He was leaning against the wall.
"Thank you...for saving me." I said as I walked up to him. I got a better look at his face. He was very tall. When I looked into his gray eyes I felt as if they were looking at something even I couldn't see. Somehow he looked eerily familiar. I stopped examining him and looked elsewhere. 
"You're welcome. Well I guess you owe me your life now." Was what he said. I wasn't sure if I was  supposed to laugh so I gave off a little chuckle just in case.
"I'm only joking. I'm Paxton by the way." He said to my while brushing his brown hair back.
"I'm Adira." I said back. I stood there trying to think of something to say but he beat me to it.
"Hey Adira would you like a ride home?" He asked me. I don't know why, but I was startled by the question.
"I rode a bike here it might not fit in your car. But thanks anyways."
"Oh don't worry about it. That's what trunks are for, dear." He replied. I was unsure about riding with a stranger but I mean he did save my life. I grabbed my bike and wheeled it towards his direction. My eyes widened in show. It was a Ferrari! Paxton was already opening the trunk which looked oh so clean.
"I don't want to get your trunk dirty" I said to him. 
"No problem." He replied as he picked my bike up and placed it in the trunk. He opened the passenger door for me. I stepped inside. Then he closed it. 
"So, where to?" He asked as he revved up the engine. 
He stopped in front of my appartment complex and I thanked him and got out of the car. I reminded him of my bike. 
"I'll walk you to your door." It wasn't a maybe thing. It was a statement. I complied wearily. Paxton followed me and we soon reached my front door where I unlocked it. My mom was on the couch watching the news. She heard the door open and jumped off the couch and embraced me.
"I heard what happened! Are you okay dear?" She asked, smoothing my hair back and looking me up and down.
"Yes mom I'm okay. This is Paxton, hes the one who took the thief down." I said stepping out of the way.
"Oh yes I heard. Thank you so much! You saved my daughter's life." She said as she embraced him too. 
"You're welcome." He replied softly, returning the hug. He looked at me and I looked back at him. I was still trying to figure out where I thought I knew him from.
"I have to go now, I'll see you guys around." Paxton said as he smiled and exited our apartment.
"What a nice young man..." I heard my mom trail off into the distance.
Then I finally realized where he was from.

© 2012 Isabelle


Author's Note

Isabelle
Any help would be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on August 10, 2012
Last Updated on August 10, 2012
Tags: no, idea

Author

Isabelle
Isabelle

About
Just looking around. more..

Writing
Sanitize Sanitize

A Story by Isabelle