Whisperers In The Wind

Whisperers In The Wind

A Story by mr_msimmons
"

A Ninja Story

"

Mogami Japan 2015

A dark force is present in the city and innocent people are dying at the hands of a clan who call themselves the silent soldiers. The citizens are no longer in control of their lives, they must abide by the soldier’s harsh rules or else they will be subjected to inhumane acts and consequently be killed. It’s how things have been since the fall of the Zengshway empire in early 2002.

The leader of the Silent Soldiers is Gangnish Wantishming  was raised in a desolate island in the South Arabian Sea. Since the age of 3 he was subjected to violent interactions between his keepers and the locals. Many of which he was forced to kill because of their loyalty to Zengshway.

Over the years, Gangnish plotted massive attacks against the ruling regime. Scores of innocent men, women, and children were killed during the uprising. Ancient structures have been desecrated, leaving unrecognizable ruins. When the Silent Soldiers moved into Mogami, they left much of the city in peril. The city had no fighting force to stop the attacks until a man by the name of Hiro Hunshin came into town, along with his elite squad named Whispers in the Wind. They operate in such conditions as to where they are rarely seen or heard. There have been many stories told about Hiro and his heroic force that is working to eradicate the city from terror and death. They received the name Whispers in the Wind because some how they knew when and where violent attacks were going to take place. They would suddenly appear and prevent the attacks by secretly reducing the number of Silent Soldiers in existence by killing them. 

When Gangnish began to realize that more and more of his fighters met their demise, he set his focus solely on killing Hiro. Hiro wasn’t alarmed by this because he knew without a doubt what needed to be done and that he had the necessary tools to do it. He was aware they were coming for him; it was just a matter of time.

It was cold and dreary October night. Hiro had just finished dinner at his favorite diner on Fukushima Avenue when suddenly the city went dark. He paid for his meal and quickly headed outside. The city was silent, cars sat motionless, dead silence surrounded him. As he walked towards his car he saw a dark figure out of the corner of his eye. He glanced up but it had vanished. He proceeded to get into his car but it wouldn’t start, so he was going to have to walk the 3 miles down a long and dark road to get home. He gathered a few things from his car and set out on his way. Along the way he spotted something lying in the middle of the road. As he got closer he could see that it was the body of a middle-age man and it appeared that he was sliced by a sword.

Hiro leaned down to check on the victim, but it was apparent he was already dead. He checked his surroundings and hurriedly went on his way. As he walked further he found more bodies lying in the street. Right then Hiro knew that his day had come and that he was being pursued by the soldiers. As a precaution he reached into the bag he brought from the car and pulled out a long, extendable blade and black clothes to cloak himself in darkness. He quickly scurried up a near-by tree overlooking the road so that he could get a better view of the situation.

Luckily the sky cleared and moonlight beamed down to the earth, illuminating a horrific scene just a few hundred feet ahead. Where there was a band of dark figures standing, waiting to attack him and bodies lying all around. Hiro reached into his pocket and pulled out some throwing stars that he had designed himself.

He positioned himself atop of the tree and took three throwing starts in each hand and with a quick flip of his wrist he released them. Hurling them at precisely the same time and with dead on precision he struck and killed six of the fighters. With one remaining, he leapt from the branch, sword in hand and caught him with the end of the blade splitting the arteries in his neck. His body stood motionless, blood pouring from his wound. He fell to his knees and on top of the other lifeless fighters.

Hiro knew it was time to confront Gangnish and he knew just where to find him. He had taken over a spiritual temple and has been using it as his command center. Hiro got home and gathered a few items that he needed and set off on his way. As he approached the temple he could see numerous soldiers standing at different outposts surrounding the area. Hiro quickly devised a plan which would be the most effective and efficient. Hiro took out his set of carbon fiber needles to use in his blow gun. He opened a container which held a lethal concoction of Batrachotoxin and VX, which are the world’s deadliest chemicals, and inserted the tip of each dart. Batrachotoxin is derived from frog excretions that is produced from digesting Melyrid beetles. The smallest amount will cause paralysis and certain death.

Hiro distributed the darts among his followers and everyone moved into position and took aim at the guardsmen. Hiro gave the signal and simultaneously they each hit their targets. The guardsmen didn’t see the attack coming and they instantly perished. Surveillance cameras witnessed the attack and alerted the occupants who remained. The Whispers progressed towards the temple with their razor sharp katana swords in hand. Upon reaching the entrance they were met by twelve heavily armed men and a battle ensued. The Whisperers were outnumbered but they were prepared for the fight. As the battle raged on and sounds of the swords contacting each other, fighters from both sides suffered fatal wounds. Ultimately, all but Hiro met their demise.

As bodies fell silent, Hiro could hear the voice of a woman softly singing. Something sounded very familiar to him and he began to have flashbacks of when he was a young teenager. Memories he had long forgotten were fresh in his mind. Just then, the stairwell door opened and Gangnish entered the room, only to find his elite fighters lying in a pool of blood. Hiro pressed himself against the wall and went unnoticed while fear raced through Gangnish’s mind.  In that moment, he knew it was time to fight or die.  He quickly turned and saw Hiro standing there, leering at him, his sword dripping with blood. The two became locked in a dead stare and a passionate hate flowed between them. Gangnish walked over to the wall and swiftly removed his sword from its wall mounted stand.  Directing it towards Hiro, he lunged at him only to be easily fended off by a swoop of his sword. The two began to duel and each swing was counteracted by the other which only enriched their desire to kill. At one point, Hiro stumbled and Gangnish swung his blade narrowly missing Hiro’s throat causing him to retreat. Darting towards the wall with Gangnish following, Hiro performed an amazing feat. He placed his right foot on the wall and propelled himself high into the air where he executed a backwards flip and while in the air ended in the prone position. With his sword firmly gripped, he forcefully drove it through the back of Gangnish’s neck, down through his torso and into the floor. Gangnish dropped his sword and his arms fell limp, his mouth agape, blood began to fill his mouth, and spill out onto the floor. Hiro peered into his soul and whispered “Watashi wa anata ga chōhatsu shite iru subete no aku no tame ni anata no hōshū to shite anata ni shi o ataemasu.” (I give you death as your reward, for all the evil you have provoked.) Hiro watched as Gangnish’s spirit went dark.

Once again, Hiro could hear the woman singing. It was coming from down the hall and up the stairs. The flashbacks returned yet he still couldn’t quite place the source. As he crept down the hall and up the stairs the singing stopped. He heard a door open and someone frantically running towards the room at the end of the hall, followed by the closing of the door. Hiro progressed further towards the end of the hall. As he approached, he could hear crying coming from behind the door. He slowly opened the door causing it to creak. Inside, the room was brightly light by candles and a raging fire. He noticed the blankets on the bed slightly move and he slowly walked to the edge of the bed. The woman could feel his presence and began to whimper. She felt a gentle touch on the blanket as Hiro slowly began to pull the blanket off of her. She was too afraid to move thinking that he still didn’t see her. As the blanket slowly uncovered her, an erie chill came over her and she kept her eyes tightly closed. Hiro looked down at her, his eyes began to fill with tears, and his heart began to race. He said “Oh my god, Isabella?” Tears rolling down his face. She opened her eyes and saw Hiro gazing at her. Her eyes too filled with tears as she leapt from the bed and into his arms.  They embraced each other as their tears fell upon each other’s shoulders. Growing up, Isabella and Hiro were inseparable until a fire destroyed her home and Hiro thought he lost her in the fire. Little did he know, the fire was set by the Silent Soldiers and she was taken by them and brought to the temple where she was held against her will. Hiro expressed his love for her and the two gathered her things and left that horrible place. Soon after the two were married and moved into a palace that Hiro built just for Isabella. The love the two shared will never be matched by anyone.

Mogami was free of evil and torment and the city began to thrive again as its citizens took back control of their lives. A kinder, gentler community prospered. Life in the city returned to normal and with that, Hiro and Isabella lived happily ever after.

Whisperers in the Wind

© 2017 mr_msimmons


Author's Note

mr_msimmons
This is my first attempt at writting, please, provide feedback. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on April 25, 2017
Last Updated on April 25, 2017
Tags: Ninja, romance

Author

mr_msimmons
mr_msimmons

Toronto, Canada