Haiti's Dream

Haiti's Dream

A Poem by Junie Souffrant




I felt my father's hands reach for me from behind, as he whispers into my ear “It will get better.” We stared endlessly into a dark world we called ours. The riots of Haitians covered the streets like the dirt that covered the road with men and women carrying signs shouting out liberte. My once beloved country; once so beautiful, which attracted so many different tourist is no more. Fire from the trash grew and spread to the store front. While children jump on top of police cars. Uniformed thugs dressed with machine guns stood in front of this angry crowd, ready to shoot. An upset policeman opens fire. You could hear the shot go off from miles. As the angry crowd begins to race off for safety other policeman began to fire as well. A man runs into a yard with a broken down fence and tries to open his front door. A policeman run in after him, other policemen follow in a red jeep. They drag his beaten body off into the middle of the road. He tries to run away, but then three shots are fired into his back, as he falls dead. A little girls run out. There laid a man her father, about six two on the dirt road no more than hundred and ninety pounds. He laid there flat on his face and there she was, she sat next to him, a little girl with red ribbons in her nappy hair. Her white and yellow pajamas hung on her two sizes to big, stained in her father's blood. Two men sat in a jeep, guarded with another that stood outside on the driver’s side with a machine gun, as another ram shack their one bedroom shed. In uniforms these men, robbed an innocent of her father, left with no one to aid her. Later as the sun begins to rise and the neighborhood begins to go about their everyday lives, you can still see this little girl sitting next to her father with his head laid there lifeless on her lap as she wipes away her tears. No one seems to be bothered by this offal site. The streets of Port-au-Prince begins to fill up, I walked over to this brave little one and covered her father’s body with a white sheet and took her in as mine. Tears over flowed her brown eyes as the dreams of freedom disappears from mine.

© 2008 Junie Souffrant


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on April 14, 2008

Author

Junie Souffrant
Junie Souffrant

Miami, FL



About
“I was in love with my abuser I was beautiful in his eyes but my beauty made me a w***e“ more..

Writing
Cold Cold

A Story by Junie Souffrant