To Know Myself

To Know Myself

A Poem by Emily

To the one I thought would be the love of my life, 
Thank you for putting a hindrance in time. 
Before you, I didn't know that memories like the ones I have now existed. 
I can close my eyes and visualize the summer night's we spent together.
The night's when we figured out, how our stars aligned, and what it meant to be alive. 
To feel love, and your compassion is all I needed that summer. 
Everything else just seemed to flow along nicely. 

Like waves know to hit the sand with a rolling and thunderous hit, 
And then gracefully tuck back into the ocean, I knew you. 
I've spent my whole life trying to figure myself out, but it seems, 
I knew you better than I could ever know myself. 
What broke your heart, and what graceful guitar notes that could put your soul at ease, 
I studied these, and I made them my muse. 

With you, love felt new. 
Never tiring. 
Yes, we had times when we both felt upset. 
But, they always did seem to out way such situations.  
Until one day, when we shattered the glass. 

We lost each other. I lost everything I thought I knew, 
About love, and life and everything about you. 
The calm oceans I once swam in, are now beautiful hurricanes. 
Filled with the emotions, I felt so strongly for you. 
The rain seems to be our symphony. 
Every drop, symbolizing the tear drops hitting the puddles. 

I never knew emotions could run so high and deep, before you. 
Thank you for teaching me everything I know.
About love, and loss. 
I pray to some God, hoping one day to know myself better, than I ever knew you.  

© 2015 Emily


Author's Note

Emily
Have you ever felt such necessary pain in life, to know what true emotion feels like?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love quite a few lines in this. For example the one about the ocean tucking in and how things just seemed to flow together nicely. This is food for thought but it also isn't. It's more and it's less all in good ways but their's just this silent beauty To it that lingers on my tounge after reading it outloud. It's just amazing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! It's easier to write feelings sometimes than to speak of them :)



Reviews

Yes, such pain that only pushes you to be better. After a while you understand why that pain existed and entered you life and why that exact moment was chosen. For rising up from that is like being reborn and ready to attack again...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily

8 Years Ago

And then we ask ourselves... why are we out to find love at all? Is it worth all the pain?
.. read more
This really spoke to me, especially the last 2 stanzas and the very last line of the poem. Beautiful piece :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Truly touched my little teenage heart! I really love how it flowed and that it was so peaceful and calming. As i finished reading a sentence/line my brain was already excited about the next! You kept me on edge and I loved reading this! Nicely done Emily!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily

8 Years Ago

First loves always seem to get us somehow... whether it be joy or pain, or something in between, it .. read more
I love quite a few lines in this. For example the one about the ocean tucking in and how things just seemed to flow together nicely. This is food for thought but it also isn't. It's more and it's less all in good ways but their's just this silent beauty To it that lingers on my tounge after reading it outloud. It's just amazing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! It's easier to write feelings sometimes than to speak of them :)
Do we ever get to that point of truly knowing ourselves? it is a great place to be.....if we get there.

Thanks for this thought-provoking question......:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Emily

8 Years Ago

I hope to know myself one day... haha but it seems as if I am put together like a library... and I c.. read more
This an orgasm filled with painful blood from the heart.
You captured the war of a relationship can be.
Great job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


A shiver shot down my spine by only the fifth line. This is beautifully written, I could feel all the love, happiness and sadness you portrayed. You are beaming with talent for poetry. 100/100 no critic needed :)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

378 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2015
Last Updated on September 14, 2015
Tags: love, break up, heart, feelings, poem, true, relationship, ex, dear, ocean, time, life

Author

Emily
Emily

WA



About
My name is Emily. Just like everyone else on this website I have a passion for writing, and a yearn to share my work with other people. I like to write my feelings, it is the easiest way for me to c.. more..

Writing
Moments Moments

A Poem by Emily



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..