What is an MRI?

What is an MRI?

A Story by Must and More
"

MRI also known as Magnetic Resonance Imaging is a technique based on the principle of creating Magnetic Waves by use of electromagnetic energy.

"
MRI also known as Magnetic Resonance Imaging is a technique based on the principle of creating Magnetic Waves by use of electromagnetic energy, these waves are transmitted through body in the area of interest and the reflected waves are received back and produce a 3D image which is examined by the Radiology Expert in the field. It is a non invasive and no radiation technique and hence has no bad effects of radiation that is it is non carcinogenic and safe in pregnancy. It gives better opinion than other imaging techniques like X-Ray, CT, and Ultrasound but due to higher cost limits its use.

History of MRI

Magnetic resonance imaging was invented by Paul C Lauterbur in September 1971.Reflecting the fundamental importance and applicability of MRI in medicine for which he was awarded the 2003 Nobel  Prize in Physiology and Medicine for his "discoveries concerning magnetic resonance imaging". The noble citation recognized Lauterber’s efforts for using magnetic field gradients to localize on any organ which allowed rapid acquisition of 2D images.

Type of MRI
MRI is basically distinguished on the factors like the magnetic power (0.2 Tesla �" 7 Tesla) and the structure (open and closed structure MRI).
Although open MRI machine has got a low image clarity but it is indicated in obese and claustrophobic patients.
Usually closed type MRI machines are available and preferred because of their better image quality. In India 3Tesla is the maximum capacity machines available.


Common Uses
•    Head- brain  aneurysm, bleeding in the brain, nerve injury, stroke, eyes and optic nerves , ears and auditory nerves.
•    Chest.  Heart, the valves, and coronary Blood Vessels, lungs , breast cancer.
•    Blood vessels.  Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA). Arteries and veins, aneurysm, a blocked blood vessel, or the torn lining of a blood vessel (dissection).
•    Abdomen and pelvis.  Liver, gallbladder, pancreas, kidneys and bladder, tumors, bleeding, infection, and blockage. In women the uterus and ovaries and in men the prostate.
•    Bones and joints.  bones and joints problems, arthritis, temporomandibular joint , bone marrow problems, bone tumors, cartilage  problems, torn ligaments or tendons, or infection. MRI is more informative than X-Ray in case of fractures.
•    Spine.  MRI is used to visualize the discs and nerves of the spine and vertebral column in case of spinal stenosis, spinal tumors and disc bulges.
•    Pregnancy- though no side effect is known so far in case of pregnancy but we usually avoid it in first trimester of pregnancy. It can be used for fetal imaging when Ultrasound imaging is not conclusive.
•    Oncology- MRI is the investigation of choice in the preoperative staging of rectal and prostate cancer, and has a role in the diagnosis, staging, and follow-up of other tumors

There is little to no preparation needed before getting an MRI. When you first arrive, you will also be asked to remove all accessories such as jewelry, credit cards, and any metallic objects due to very high strength of the magnetic field which can cause missile-effect accidents
Whenever required Contrast medium is used to get better results, images and this is safer drug as compared to CT Contrast Medium.

© 2015 Must and More


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
Added on January 10, 2015
Last Updated on January 10, 2015
Tags: Healthcare, MRI Brain, mri scan, mustandmore rohini, diagnostic in delhi, 3 tesla mri

Author

Must and More
Must and More

New Delhi, India