Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

A Story by TransparentHearts
"

Based on my life ish. Ness.

"

Her words grazed me like a silver bullet, the gunshots echoing in my head as if on repeat. Our friendship had blossomed, and that was the time when I found happiness around every corner and under every rock. The ecstacy was shot into my veins with every second I was around her. My life held its ultimatum for me in this joyous part of my life, and I was overwhelmed in good faith, loyal friends, and a crush I longed to be with.

 

Trust me, this bliss was not the easiest journey to search for.

 

Two years ago i would have spoken these words: "I'm happy here, with this girl I call mine, even though she is a thousand miles away and every word is fantasy". Lies would have been spoken through those words, seemingly heard as truth but veiled and seeped in deception. Ah, the teenage heart- fragile, yet longing to find true love.

 

My fingers endlessly tapped away at the buttons on my cell phone. The rat-tat-tat disturbed the silent peace that surfaced in the kitchen after the brutal argument between dear ol' dad and the woman I'm supposed to call 'step-mom'. To me, Misty lives a life as a hobo on our couch.

 

"Put that damned thing away, Lex."

"You got it, Dad."

 

I sighed. My fingers tapped the last few letters and pocketed my phone. My girlfriend usually gets pissed if I don't answer my phone. I slide off the kitchen table bench, heading to my room.

 

"Where do you think you're going?"

 

I ignored him, disappearing up the steps. It was no use. He and I never communicated after he married the hobo. I slide out my phone. No new messages. Strange. I jumped on my bed, staring at my phone. God, I am such a cell phone addict. Before Dad switched me to his plan, Mamma was paying at least $800 a month before she finally accepted my advice and bought unlimited texting.

 

I passed out waiting for my next message.

 

Four hours later, "Guardian Angel" emitted from my phone. I jumped. My hand clasped around the phone, skillfully flipping the Motorola Razor open.

 

The text read: "I'm so sorry, I just wanna die"

 

Panic flooded my chest. My fingers subconsciously tapped "What happened?"

 

My blood pounded my veins in rushes of high adrenaline. What the hell was wrong?

 

Her answer: "I i i i..."

 

"You what?!"

 

I never use texting language. I think it's completely pointless and disrespectful. I mean, if someone texts "ily" do they really love them if they can't even type "I love you?". 

 

"I i i i... made out w/ amee"

 

My jaw dropped. This s**t again? How much can one heart take? My heart thudded to a stop for one second. The hot stinging wetness of tears flooded my eyes. Awe, damn.

 

I threw my phone to the side, flopping face down into the pillows as they acted as my comfort and my cloud. My heart felt emotionally broken in millions of pieces. Gotta duct tape the pieces together. That's what they say, right? Duct tape can fix anything.

 

Dad moved about two hours away from my hometown. I call this the middle of nowhere, the boonies, the other world. He insisted on making the move to be closer to his mom, grandma. I thought that Misty was the worst of my problems, but moving was definitely the worst of my problems. Dad enrolled me into this school I didn't even know, moved me to this town I couldn't tell you the name of even two streets (the only one being the street we live on) and I was lost. Lost as lost can get.

 

My solution: long distance dating.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

School was a completely different story. Being an introvert and cast into a whole new school and technically a whole new life.

 

New faces surrounded me, and i was lost in the whirlwind of confusion. For a semester and a half, I was numb to the world and it was numb to me. LIfe crawled forward as if my existence was insignificant in its grand scheme. My life on my phone carried on with the same girl, and faigned love on the brink of my destruction.

 

It wasn't until gym class started that I met the girl who turned my life around.

 

Don't get me wrong, I never loved gym class. Gym class at this school was classified as more than okay-it's classified as really good. No skill tests, only participation grades filled the gradebook in sketchy pencil marks. Oh, and one more thing- high school students were mingled and joined with the middle school kids. The class proved to be an intersting mix.

 

One day about halfway through the semester, the National Guard visited us and blew up this gigantic obstacle course. Man, that thing rose to at least half the gym.

 

My texting addiction didn't slow down or halt either. Carpal tunnel could set in any day, I swear. And the hobo finally moved off the couch to their bedroom every once in a while. My soul fell into this robotic rut and my body functioned on auto pilot.

 

That was until the obstacle course.

 

The numbness faded. I saw that girl before in gym class on the half of the gym designated for the middle school kids. Her gym locker was located near mine.

 

My shyness and introvertedness kicked in though. I felt my bones lock and my muscles tense.

 

"Guess you 'n I are partners."

 

"Hmm? Me?'" I looked around, then locked eyes with her for a second before her piercing eyes looked through me to my soul.

 

I just felt stunned. I didn't know what to say. I stood frozen. Being mostly socially inept, I didn't know what to say, what to make for conversation. Next thing i know, her and I raced through the giant inflatable toy.

 

To my surprise, her and I had a mutual friend. And there began the bud of our friendship.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The words that echo in my head are hers, "Now, forever, and always."

 

Anyway, time progressed as did it's wake of interesting days. I drifted farther from my mother as I did not call her as often as she wanted, but she made no effort in my favor either. The gas mileage and fare was apparently too much for a middle class worker to bare one-handed; it's not like I was asking for the world. I just wanted to visit a little and keep in contact.

 

My life with my long distance relationship grew and I thought I made it to heaven. There was not a day that passed that I happily tapped away at that small piece of mechanical contraption. That phone consumed my life and I despised it.

 

Surely my death would be by phone.

 

Mailed packages reached my doorstep printed with the date and time from the state of Texas where my love lived. Small packages were hiding in larger ones, jewelry and stuffed animals within their depths. The latest package- a small purple heart dangled on a silver chain in a small white box. My heart clung to this piece of heaven.

 

Pure white snow covered the ground, Christmas lights hung on various houses down the street, but not mine. We couldn't afford them this year.

© 2010 TransparentHearts


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on May 31, 2010
Last Updated on June 1, 2010

Author

TransparentHearts
TransparentHearts

About
Well...where to start. (The short version) I liiike weird crazy, not run-of-the-mill kind of stuff. Liike taking an armadillo on a rollar coaster. How fun would that be?!?! You could call me crazy. I .. more..

Writing