A Goddess Returns

A Goddess Returns

A Story by Maraina Cross
"

A twist on Greek hero's and mythology threw a teenager eyes. But she doesn't what she's getting into or who she really is

"

It started out a normal day but I couldn’t be more wrong.

“Alright everyone that was the bell, so remember to finish your papers on Greek Mythology by Friday.” Mr. Duff announced to the students, as they were packing up their books and things. I on the other hand was drawing a picture of an older women around mid-30s and somewhat resembled me with long bleach blonde hair and pale skin, but her eyes were as black as night.

“Hey Melody time to go, wait your drawing again, if Mr. Duff sees you drawing instead of listening one more time you’re going to get into big trouble.” My best friend Jackie said to me as I started to pack away my stuff.

“I know I know, I do listen it’s just after awhile my hand starts to itch and I have to draw these people.” I showed her the one I was working on, of the women, and the one of the man with strange eyes and jet black hair and black wings sprouting from his back. “I feel like I know or have seen them before. Is that weird?”

“To tell you the truth Mel, you’re always weird and maybe a little insane at some points.” I elbowed Jackie in the ribs.

“Shut up Jackie. Now let’s start walking home before my mom freaks out that I’m late.” I explained as I linked arms with her and practically skipped her out of the room, Jackie protesting all the way.

When we got to Mill Street, it was in a panic and there were two police cars around a man hole.

“Hey Jackie lets go see the chaos and mayhem that the man hole is causing.” I said trying to drag her with me.

She held me back a minute before she yelled, “Are you insane, don’t answer that, but ARE YOU INSANE? What if it gives away more, we could be killed.”

“Nothing is going to happen; we’ll just go see quick and then leave. I promise.” I pulled her more and she came with me, moving her brown hair out of the way. When we got to the caution ropes that separated us about two feet from the man hole, we looked in and both whistled. While we were looking, Jackie shook my arm.

“Melody, we should go. I got to get home to finish that paper.” She was still shaking me when I felt the ruby ring slip off my ring figure and fall over the rope almost falling into the man hole.

“Ah crap Jackie, I have to go get that. It’s the only thing I have of my birth mother.” I said going under the rope. I heard Jackie say wait or something like don’t do it, but I didn’t listen. When I got to the ring I bent down and put in back on. I was now only a half a foot away from the hole. As I looked down, some part of me wanted to jump, not in a suicidal way, but it’s like I felt a pull. Dismissing it I turned toward Jackie holding up my hand with the ring on it and smiled mischievously, “Got it.” I said but all of a sudden there was rubble under my feet and the ground gave way, sending me into the blackness.

When I woke up I felt sun on my face and grass under me. I sat up slowly rubbing my head and then looked around. The first thought into my head was where the heck am I. All around me was green grass and a few trees, some looking like they had figs growing on them. When I looked around more I noticed I was on a hill and at the end of the hill there was a small little village. After dusting my jeans off and fixing my bleach blonde hair, I headed to the village. The village was bustling in what looked like the early morning. I got some strange looks from people, some even looked scared. When I saw some people dressed as Greek warriors standing near a wooden structure with tables, I went over to them. Most of them back away except one.

“I am Achilles the best warrior Greece has ever had and if I may, who are you?” he boasted. Really this guy was Achilles, ok then I’ll play along.

“My name is Melody; I come for Wisconsin in the United States. You said I was in Greece right and you’re Achilles? So have you been to the Trojan War yet? I said looking up at him. He was a very tall man with very tan skin and brown hair.

Achilles made a sound between a snort and a laugh before answering, “Why yes we have, my men and I are making our way back home. How did you not hear about this? The news has been all over the country.”

“Well I kinda dropped in, literally. I’m starting to believe I went back in time when I fell into a hole where I come from. When I woke up I was here. Do you know anyone who can help me get back home?”

He thought for a moment seemingly believing my story, “You can go to Athens and see if an oracle can help you. It’s about a two day journey on foot and there are some dangerous things out there. I can give you a shield and sword but that’s all I have for you,” he told me handing me both. Achilles picked them up easy but when he gave them to me I almost fell over. Some of the warriors laughed at me stumbling. We said our good byes after that and parted ways.

 I was walking for hours until I heard a roar and a yell. Running with the shield and sword as best I could, I ran towards the noise and came to where the noise was. In the distance, was a man in a simple blue toga and a sword fighting a huge lizard like dragon with seven heads. I got there right before one of the heads were making a grab for him. The fangs hit my sword, which I was struggling to keep up, and smacked the head of it away with the shield.

“What in the Gods name are you doing girl?” yelled the man fight off five heads while I was trying to fight the other two.

“I’m trying to help you, you idiot. By the way what’s your name?” I yelled back dodging a hit by one and trying the cut off its head.

“My name is Hercules, son of Zeus. Don’t cut off their heads, if you do two more will grow back.” I said ok back. Wow was everyone in this time zone all high and mighty. We tried piercing its heart but it was not an easy task. I was bleeding in several places and my shirt and jeans were ruined. In the end, Hercules got a clean shot and the seven headed beast fell.

“Well you are a good fighter for a girl and maybe a little insane, but I thank you your help.” He said with a smile.

“I get that a lot and thanks.” Just as I said that one of the heads lifted up and shot toward Hercules. I push him out of the way screaming, “Look out!” Right after that I felt a shape pain in my chest and looked to the monster teeth going into it. I fell to the ground, Hercules above me saying words that I didn’t hear. Then everything went black and I died.

I felt like I was floating when I heard a voice saying a name, it was sweet and calming, “Melinoe, come to me. You now must awaken.” As soon as the last word was said my eyes snapped open revealing the bluest sky I ever saw. When I sat up I was in a field of flowers and a woman was standing a few feet away from me. She was beautiful with hair like gold and ivory skin. Her dress she was wearing started out white and faded to black toward the bottom.

“Melinoe,” she stated and for some reason I looked up right away, “welcome home my dear. I thought it was you when you fell in the time warp.” She finished with a smile.

I blinked a few times before answering, “What did you call me and where I’m I? Who are you?”

“This is Mt. Olympus,” she said still smiling sweetly. “My name is Hecate the Goddess of magic and the undead and you, my dear Melinoe, are the Goddess of mischief and insanity.”

Again I blinked a few times and responded right after, “No I’m not a Goddess of mischief and insanity. I was born in Wisconsin and adopted to my family. The adoption agency said my birth mother wanted my name to be Melody and to give me this ring.” Holding up my hand to show her the ruby ring, when noticed I was not wearing my other clothes any more. Hecate laughed a little until a mirror appeared.

“Why don’t you look at yourself my dear and tell me if you are not what you say you are.” I got up gracefully then I ever had before and was in front of the mirror. What I saw was not Melody; this person was really a Goddess of insanity and mischief. The young woman standing in front of me was wearing a one shoulder deep purple dress that hugged her torso and flowed down to the ground. Her skin was a ghostly white and hair, which went past my hip to my knees, so blonde it was also almost white. Around the neck was a ruby necklace that matched my ring. The face was sharper than mine and what caught my eye were MY eyes; they were a swirling sliver. And then I notice black wings behind me. I had wings, huge black wings; they were amazing in a dark way. I looked at Hecate with amazement.

“I am Melinoe aren’t I.” it was a statement.

“You are. When you were born the God of time, Chronos, was mad at your parents, your mother really. You see your parents are Hades the God of the Underworld and Persephone the Goddess of the Underworld and of spring. Persephone can only be in the Underworld during the fall and winter. Chronos didn’t like having Persephone in the Underworld, since she is one of Zeus’s daughters, and when he found out she was with child for the first time, as soon as you were born he kidnapped you and put you in a different time.” Hecate finally finished.

“Wow, well my mother always said I had the devil in me. You said she, my mother, was pregnant for the first time. Do I have any siblings then?” I said, turning my sliver eyes on her.

“Yes you do, Dionysus, the God of wine. Hermes will take you to the Gods home.” She gestured with her hand to the back of me. I turned. There was a small man with a toga on and a gold belt with a satchel. He bowed to me lightly, “Goddess, will you come and fly with me to see Zeus and meet your brother.” He flapped his wings on his feet while I tried to get used to mine. This should be interesting, was my last thought before we took to the sky.

The house of the Gods was magnificent to say the least. There were fig and fruit trees everywhere, some fruits were even gold. When we walked up to the steps of the temple, I saw huge pillars of gold and interacted designs on them. As we walked up the last step, I was now in front of several Gods and Goddesses. The person who spoke first was Zeus, “Welcome Melinoe, Goddesses of insanity and mischief, we are so happy to have you back.” His voice boomed loudly though out the grounds. “This here,” pointing to his left, “is Hera my wife and one of my brothers Poseidon, the God of the Seas. Over here to my right is Nyx the Goddesses of Night, Iris Goddess of rainbows, Kratos God of Strength and power, and….” Zeus paused, “Where is Dionysus? Don’t tell me, he’s in the wine cellar. Hermes would you please get that buffoon before he get to drunk to meet his sister.” This gave me a chance to take everyone in. Zeus looked like he was in his mid forties to fifty with white curly hair to his shoulders and white robes; Hera was beautiful like all the other Goddesses with long red hair and a green dress that sparkled in the light. Nyx was truly the Goddess of night. Her hair jet black and stick straight, her skin was a coco color and her deep blue dress shined with stars matching her eyes. Iris was the shortest of everyone with wavy brown hair and big brown eyes. Her dress thou had to be the most amazing, change color in the sun whenever she moved. The last one my eyes fell on was Kratos, he was big, tall and brood, with tan skin, blue eyes, and buzz cut brown hair and a simple brown toga. Then Hermes came back with someone following behind him.

“Ah here is Dionysus, Dionysus this is Melinoe, your sister.” Said Hera, sweetly and smiled. I bowed lightly to him.

“Why do you bow? You are not a commoner Melinoe, you are my sister, and there is no need.” Dionysus said with a cocky grin. I looked at him. He was the complete opposite of me with tan skin, black hair, and dark eyes. Dionysus toga reminded me of the color of wine, a deep red.

“I sorry,” I started, “I guess I’m not used to this.” I said looking at him in the eyes.

“Let’s go see Mother and Father they’ve been worried about you for the pass eighteen years.” I gave a nod before he took my hand and lead me to the door of the Underworld. As we walked to the black door I saw on Dionysus’ ring finger, a ring, the same one I had on mine. I smiled to myself before walking through the door into blackness.

We ended up in a throne room with big dark pillars and black walls. At the end of the room were two thrones and sitting on them were a man and a women. As we got closer, I could see their features clearly. The women, Persephone, my mother, had hair similar to mine but slighting more blonder and skin pale but had some tan to it. She wore a black dress also similar to mine and a black crown. The other person, Hades, my father, also wore black, skin as pale as mine, hair that was jet black and eyes swirling silver. He also had huge black wings, bigger than my own. At that point, Dionysus stopped in front of them.

“Father, Mother, I am happy to present to you Melinoe your daughter and the true Goddess of insanity and mischief.” He stepped aside so I could step forward. I did, my hands clasped in front of me waiting for them to say something. My mother stood up and walked slowly closer to me.

“Melinoe,” she said softly, “may I see your hands?” I lifted up my hands and she grasped the one with the ring on it. “Hades come look at this.” My father stood up with grace and came over quickly. He look down and then up at my mother and me smiling showing fangs.

“She is our daughter. You bear the ring of the Underworld; we gave it to you at birth so it would protect you.”  He put his hand on my shoulder gripping it lightly, while my mother threw her arms around me and wept softly. I returned the hug right away and Dionysus joined us. I was finally where I belong.

© 2013 Maraina Cross


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on May 9, 2013
Last Updated on July 10, 2013

Author

Maraina Cross
Maraina Cross

WI



About
I just started to get into writing and would like to be more involved in the writing world. I am in a wheelchair and on a vent, but I don't let that stop me from going after my dreams. more..

Writing
I am I am

A Poem by Maraina Cross