What Is a Negro

What Is a Negro

A Story by hyancynthstofeedthysoul
"

An account from Mississippi

"
I live here in central Mississippi, a small town, of which I am sure you have never heard. There are many towns like this one in Mississippi. The population is 1856 according to the last census. 68% black, 30% white, and 2% other.

I just happen to live here. My family has lived here since before the ''Second American Revolution.'' We have eight generations in the ground down at the church.

I have seen racial prejudice of all kinds. I have seen Black against White, White against Black, and lately Black and White against Mexicans, and vice versa. I have experienced it first hand, but today was a first for me personally.

I generally stay out on the farm. I have found that is the best way for an old man to avoid such foolishness. Today I needed some tobacco. I have gotten rid of most of my vices, but tobacco has a hold on me. I been using it, man and boy, for over fifty years.So I thought I would go get some.

When I got to town I was accosted by a group of black thugs. You should have seen them. Their hats on crooked, baggy pants way down. About to fall off. I think the only thing holding them up was their imagination. Their shorts were showing and I swear they had on two or three pairs.

One of them got into my face and called me a honkie. I've been called a lot of things, but never that. I have no idea what it means. After buying my tobacco I went home.

I should explain, I am a Mustee. Don't expect you know what that is. I will explain later.

In the South there is a thing known as the "one drop rule". Maybe you heard of it or maybe not. The rule is that if a person has a drop of black blood, he is black. There was a law a long time ago called the "not-a-negro law". It exempted those “People of mixed blood, who are not negroes or mulattoes”, from the anti-Black statutes and regulations. If they obtained a local court certificate to that effect, they were considered to be white. An editorial of the time said:

''What is a Negro''

Negro and White equals a Mulatto,
Mulatto and White equals Quadroon,
Quadroon and White equals Octroon,
Octroon and White equals Mustee,
Mustee and White equals White.


Since whites in the south could not accept that, they came up with the one-drop rule. As they believed you could not turn a Negro into a White.

So you see I am too White to be Black and too Black to be White. If you do not believe me check my ancestors graves down at the Zion A.M.E. church.

As I said ''I have experienced racism in the past, from both sides.''

© 2008 hyancynthstofeedthysoul


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The same thing happens in South America between aristocratic families of White Spanish heritage and those with indigenous roots (which, truth be told, would comprise 95 percent of the poulation, the Spanish conquistadores having generally come without wives from the old country). I was one time introduced proudly to a local society matron by the elaborate phrase, "Good afternoon. My name is Senora Isabela Maria Mantoya de Generales Blah Blah Blah de Blah-Blah... and I don't have a single drop of Indian blood in me!" (translation from Spanish). I was a little taken aback to be called "Gringa" there, but it seemed relatively good-natured. I was rather perturbed, however, when people at my office of State Parole where I had worked for over 15 years started bad-mouthing the French and referring to them as "Frogs" (a term I'd never heard before) right after 9/11. Crude jokes were made particularly in my presence (I AM French, but was born and have lived here all my life).I was unaccustomed to prejudice against me other than for being a woman, overweight, or labeled as of above-average intelligence.It's everywhere. It's stupid. And even worse, it''s dangerous.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

love this piece. love your voice... it is so... i dont know. there is a kindness to it - a gentle, deep wisdom. and at the same time a simplicity that is humbling.

"About to fall off. I think the only thing holding them up was their imagination. Their shorts were showing and I swear they had on two or three pairs. "

and then you use humor, too! found that fascinating :) well placed, and well done.

this stuff makes my blood boil. i just dont understand racism.... i dont understand any of it. the only reason i even see differences is because the whole world seems so focused on them.

it sounds so corny, but i see people's SOULS... and that's what i see, and that's what i relate to.

i've thought about moving further down south, but i dont think i could handle the racism. and that saddens me, because i think i could make a good southern girl. lol

hugs. fantastic write



Posted 16 Years Ago


Informative and powerful. The more I read of your stuff the more I want to read.
Thanks


Posted 16 Years Ago


I forgot to add this image I found on the internet when I made my earlier post -
you had mentioned you could not find one like it in something else you wrote:



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very thought-provoking piece, Frank. I learned something today that I didn't know and wouldn't have had you not taken the time to post this. Thank you!

''What is a Negro''

Negro and White equals a Mulatto,
Mulatto and White equals Quadroon,
Quadroon and White equals Octroon,
Octroon and White equals Mustee,
Mustee and White equals White.

I am sure you have heard this a thousand times before, but you would make a nice Santa Claus...the friendly face, warmth in your eyes, and obviously the white hair and beard. Christmas is right around the corner. :) I wonder how much they pay those guys at the mall?? Bet it would be fun. At least when you get the nice kids...LOL

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

A very insightful piece on what it means to you to be mixed race in the Southern States of America. I too am of mixed race, my Grandfather is from Guyana, and I live in a house run by United, a housing agency that works solely with people of different ethnic backgrounds. The neighbouring area, St Pauls, has a very sizable African-Carribean population, about two-thirds, and has been blighted by race riots in recent history.

I have seen prejudice from both sides too. In my teens I used to get called a mullatto. I am so pleased to know that the people calling me that name didn�t even know what they were on about, I am a Quadroon. If they either call me it again, I�ll explain that.

I can really relate to what to went through with those boys. As you say the best approach is often to keep yourself to yourself unless you have to go out.

I find the best approach is to never participate in racism, the more any of these words are kept alive, the more polarised the communities become and the more we are left isolated.


Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Good piece,
a simple and common error
"There was a law {along} time ago called the" i think you meant a long
i like the ended, i didn't know where you were going with this piece but i liked the way it turned out

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is very informative. I appreciate your work in this piece. It is well written. It made me laugh and made me think. Thank you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

A very interesting write.....It seems we have always been sectioning or dividing ourselves. It is the system. Each of us makes a difference and hopefully for the good. It is strange but simple and true--we all breathe and need air, we all need food to live, we all need love, when one needs a blood transfusion it is the type that is needed not what race or culture, etc. Simple but isn't it the simple things that are so hard to accept and understand. Thank you for sharing this.....

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I read this not knowing what to expect. But I was determined to have a open mind. A guy with a Santa avatar sorta made me a little leery about your intentions at first. After reading this, I was blown away. I am from Louisiana and I know all about the one drop rule. My mom is from Belzoni Mississippi and much of what you have written is things she herself have told me. You are right...there is no fair acceptance if you have a single drop of an another race in your blood. You are not enough of either to be considered a complete person or worthy to have pride in all of your ancestry. This was a very well written essay. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. When you can vouch for both sides, you are able to give a clearer understanding to readers what it means to be discriminated as a white or black person. Job well done. I like how you cited and posted evidence to support your claim. Again, job well done!-Catrina

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Wow..
That was so informative. I have heard of the "One drop" rule, but was not familiar with the
Negro and White equals a Mulatto,
Mulatto and White equals Quadroon,
Quadroon and White equals Octroon,
Octroon and White equals Mustee,
Mustee and White equals White.

And I'd bet, neither were alot of other people. Honkey ? I know the word "Cracker" came from the white cattlemen who used to move their herds through the south, using lon bullwhips. You could hear them coming by the crack of the whips they carried, thus, "Here comes them "Crackers."
My family is so racially mixed. I have a black-brother-in law, a black daughter-in-law..indian. I would say whites have come along way since when I was a kid. I know I taught my kids to judge on character and deeds. Honestly, I don't know of "any" white parents that teach hatered for blacks, or any other ethnic groups. It is not racial, it is cultural, in my opinion. Great piece.


Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on February 6, 2008

Author

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
hyancynthstofeedthysoul

middletown, OH



About
A long and eventful life I have lived one. While stationed in Germany I visited every country in free Europe and the British Isles. In the U.S. 48 of the 50 only missed Alaska and Hawaii. Have worked .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Silent Decade Silent Decade

A Poem by Bubo