Fulfilling Others Needs

Fulfilling Others Needs

A Story by hyancynthstofeedthysoul
"

I lost this in the catastrophe. Jen never got a chance to read it. I will try to do a rewrite for her.

"

She is there as she is the second Thursday of every month. No matter what the weather, hot or cold, wind or rain, it makes no difference. Today she and one of her friends are huddled against a cold wind in a snowy parking lot.  The temperature is in the teens. As the cars approach they meet them with a smile.

 

''Good morning Santa,'' Jen says ''are you keeping warm?''

 

We have an expensive habit and they provide the thing to satisfy it. Actually they do not provide the service. They have friends in the alley who do that. They check us out and send us on. In the alley they are huddled together as the cars come near they seperate and as my window rolls down the man asks, ''How many?''

 

''One.'' I answer.

 

''Front seat or back?'' he asks.

 

They know me here, the front door opens and a box is placed on the front seat along with a two pound box of cheese.

 

You see my habit is not sex or drugs it is food. I as well as the others like to eat. These kind people pass out commodities to us help old timers with our food bill. What would we do without them? I can only speak for myself. Without them I would return to dumpster diving. I do not know about the others as there are only so many dumpsters and the police threaten to arrest people caught in them.

 

I for one am thankful for Jen and her friends.

© 2008 hyancynthstofeedthysoul


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

We need to be thankful for these people who so tirelessly give of their time and whatever they can to help a soul in need. We never know what might happen to us in our lifetime. Thank you for stating a reality that exists in this bad economy for so many people today.

Posted 14 Years Ago


The blessings that people like Jen provide will not go unnoticed, at least not by God.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Clever-clever-clever. Definitely drew your reader in with a beginning like this, Frank. Who would have thought...food?! Great job. Thanks for sharing and thanks to the Jens out there or the mission she works with. Couldn't do it without them. One of our best friends runs the rescue mission here in Albuquerque and the numbers of people they feed each year is mind blowing...

Posted 16 Years Ago


You did a very good job with this one. The beginning had me wondering, and that was smart indeed. It's a beautiful insight to a terrible reality. Well done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


i didn't think it was sex or drugs that was your needs! i swear i didn't!! well this is a nice tribute to your friend Jen, i'm sure she appreciates it. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is a compelling and 'real' nightmare so prevalent in today's world, it did sound like a sexual perversion...very clever writing! Every person is entitled to sustenance and comfort, thank you for raising the issue and in turn causing some brain strain. All too often we forget what goes on in dark alleys while we sleep in our comfortable beds...

Posted 16 Years Ago


Thank you for telling their story.

Posted 16 Years Ago


well done, frank. liked it !

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I won't lie I thought sex. Maybe because I listen so carefully when the waitress introduces herself...or maybe I'm a closet sick-o. Anycase, awesome story I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice story. Very enlightening

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 14, 2008
Last Updated on February 14, 2008

Author

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
hyancynthstofeedthysoul

middletown, OH



About
A long and eventful life I have lived one. While stationed in Germany I visited every country in free Europe and the British Isles. In the U.S. 48 of the 50 only missed Alaska and Hawaii. Have worked .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..