Carrots

Carrots

A Story by Naomi Bloom
"

A companion piece to "Candy." About my childhood hatred for carrots.

"

Yuck.  Who would eat those?  Playing in the snow one winter, my brother Horace* and I tried to make a snowman, and like every child, I rushed past the buried picnic table to fetch a carrot for the nose.  Coming back, I looked at the enormous carrot and considered eating it.  In a moment, I could taste the strict, bitter taste of the vegetable everyone said was “good for your eyes.”


Later that night, mom wanted me to try carrots for the “first time” but I told her my snowman story.  She was skeptical and she asked, “if you won’t eat them now, when will you eat them?”


I picked an age that seemed like a hundred to me: “when I’m sixteen.”


Yeah, right!


I’m seventeen now and, other than in a soup, I will not eat carrots.  Ever.  Again.

© 2013 Naomi Bloom


Author's Note

Naomi Bloom
* I changed my brother's name for his privacy.

This was written in high school, many years ago.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on January 13, 2013
Last Updated on January 13, 2013
Tags: candy, carrots, story, piece, childhood, hatred, vegetables, taste, try, disgust, nostalgia, memories, reminiscence, winter, snowman, nose, writer, writing, monologue, orange, food, snow, dislike

Author

Naomi Bloom
Naomi Bloom

Ontario, Canada



About
An amateur writer of poems, short stories and other types of writing. I recently graduated from university and I am trying to figure out what to do with my life. Victorian England, name meanings, be.. more..

Writing
Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Naomi Bloom