What Depression Has Taught Me

What Depression Has Taught Me

A Story by Natalie Clucas
"

An insight and view into the depths and wonder of depression.

"

What depression has taught me


 You’re never ready for the turmoil and destruction that it brings, and it honestly tosses and turns you to a point of insanity. depression has taught me many things, many things i was genuinely afraid of. I learnt that it is so much more then just “being sad.” you generate this pure sense of loneliness, one that you believe no one can take you out of. isolation becomes a huge factor, and socialising is almost out of the question. a deep, dark feeling grows inside of you, only ever escaping through exasperated screams.It's deeper and darker than what society perceives it to be, heck It's nothing near what society depicts it as.You’re never ready for the turmoil and destruction that it brings, and it honestly tosses and turns you to a point of insanity.


When I was at my darkest, I had some pretty twisted thoughts. I was never thinking or focusing on the positives, and I was digging my hole deeper and deeper than I had ever prepared for. It soon became apart of me, I was attached and I couldn’t imagine life without it. Nobody can ever tell you what it’s like to be depressed. It’s not that it’s hard to describe the feeling; it’s more that people experience it differently. Some become destroyed, others defeated. The satirical aura that surrounds the social depiction of this illness makes me physically sick. Depression is in no way "funny" or "not serious," it's a war. A battle against yourself, and the thoughts that your twisted mind comes up with.


Depression cannot be simply labelled as an illness, because the term does not do the problem justice. it is a fear, a terrifying world of pain and agony.  I was truly afraid of what was going to come, when I was at my deepest and darkest depths of the illness. I was terrified of what people would think of me, if I was to generate the generic label of "The Depressed Girl" So I kept everything a secret. I wasn't aware at the moment, but this is the worst thing you could ever do.


You see, the only way you can ever overcome this hell, is if you TALK TO SOMEONE. I was lucky, I had a loving boyfriend who cared and listened, and an understanding god mother. But if people like this don't yet exist in your life, than seeing a counsellor or even using online support groups will change everything for the better. 



If you're suffering with depression, I wish you well. I wish for you to achieve happiness, and a brilliant life that you enjoy day after day. Things DO get better, but only if you apply the changes. I love you so very much, and even though I don't know you, or the people in your life, I know they love you too. Stay strong, and 

 

© 2015 Natalie Clucas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on April 9, 2015
Last Updated on April 9, 2015
Tags: mental illness, essay, informative, society

Author

Natalie Clucas
Natalie Clucas

Melbourne, Australia



About
expression. more..

Writing