a lifted depression

a lifted depression

A Story by can sexy be named?
"

a short story about a suicidal teenager who finds true love......

"

                                    A lifted depression

            Alex had decided that he was unloved, well he already decided this when his dad left him when he was ten. That was five years ago and his life wasn’t getting any better. The only friend he had was a little green goblin that helped him with his problems named Biffy, but Alex was sure he was just his imagination.

            “Alex! You mustn’t kill yourself!” Biffy screamed in helplessness, but Alex was ignoring him. Sometimes his imagination got really annoying, and hard to imagine away.  “I have seen what happens to kids who kill themselves and its not pretty!” Biffy pleaded. “My life is horrible! My mom is a drug addict who is never around, I have no friends, and I can’t pass school even though I try my hardest!” Alex protested.  “You have me…” Biffy whispered, knowing that was not enough for Alex. “That’s nothing! You’re a part of my imagination.” Alex said mockingly. “I’m sure if you tried harder you could make more friends.” Biffy replied. Alex thought for a minute but decided that if the hideous monster for a friend he had was right, he would agree life is worth living. “If I make a friend, I will admit life is worth living, but he has to be a real friend, or best friend that I wouldn’t be able to live without.”  Alex said, “It’s a deal! If you don’t make a best friend within this month I will let you go and you can do what you want with your life, deal?” the ugly little thing asked trying to give his cutest look.  Alex looked at him disgusted and nodded his head.

            The next day Alex woke up at seven to Biffy shaking him and jumping on his chest. “Get up you will be late to school!” Biffy screamed. Usually Biffy didn’t care if Alex skipped school or not, but now he had to find Alex a friend. “I’m up, I’m up” Alex moaned. “Why did you wake me up at seven?” “We’re going to find you a friend!” Biffy said excitedly. “Oh…I forgot” Alex said with no emotion. “Get ready the bus will be here soon.” Biffy said jumping up and down. “Ok, ok.” Alex said slowly climbing out of bed.

It was a dark and stormy day, and Alex was actually in a good mood. Alex had this theory that the day he was in a good mood the world would end, and so far it was proving him right. The wind was so hard, his bus nearly toppled over driving to school. When they pulled up to the school it looked like a haunted house. The trees were uprooted, green clouds were swirling in the air, and the windows were pitch black. Lightning even flashed when the principal opened the doors to let the students in.

           In the mornings before school the students were sent to the cafeteria to wait for the first bell, unless they had a tutorial pass, but Alex’s teachers didn’t like seeing him so they would never right him one. Alex always tried his hardest in school, but his teachers always failed him so he gave up, and usually didn’t even go to school, but today was Biffy’s idea. As Alex walked through the cafeteria he heard giggling and laughter from the cliques he wasn’t a part of. Alex started to walk to an abandoned cafeteria table, but Biffy stopped him. “Go sit with that kid” Biffy said pointing to a kid that looked like Alex usually did, alone and depressed.

 

 

Alex walked towards the kid. As he approached he could tell a few features, but the kids head was down. He could see that the kid had long straight black hair, while Alex had long straight blonde hair. He had two piercings on one side of his lip called spider bites, while Alex had one on either side of his lip called snake bites. He was dressed in the same uniform as Alex, a white t-shirt and black shorts, but for some reason it actually looked good on him. He had a white v-neck and black shorts, a studded belt, wristbands on both arms, and he was extremely cute.

Alex tapped him on the shoulder, the kid jumped like he was used to getting beat up but calmed down when he saw who it was. “Sorry…didn’t mean to freak you out. Can I sit with you? I have no friends here.” Alex asked. “Michael, but if I had friends they would call me Mike, haha”, Mike said kind of laughing. “I’m Alex, my real name is Alexander but I hate that name so I go by Alex,” He replied.  The two of them soon parted ways due to the bell.

            At lunch Alex looked for Michael, but he was nowhere to be found so he sat next to a kid he knew, but didn’t really like or connect with.  Right before lunch ended Michael walked up and said hey before he disappeared into the crowd.  The bell rang so Alex went to class, but he wanted to talk to Michael, maybe after school he would get a chance.

            As Alex slowly walked out of school, he slowly scanned the crowd for the guy who might possibly become his best friend.  He scanned every face until he found who he was looking for.  “Aha” he whispered.  He walked his normal, slow pace over to Michael, and when they met eyes, Michael put a smile on his face, and Alex couldn’t help but put on a smile as well.  The casually greeted each other trying to hide their hidden desires to be friends.

            The two sat down on one of the ugly wooden benches their school had outside, and just sat in silence for a few minutes.  Alex broke the silence, “do you want to come over?  I ride the bus home if you want to come with me.”  Michael agreed, and they walked to the bus lane, a U-shaped driveway that the bus picked kids up at.  It looked like it was hit with a tornado, and maybe it had, but the clouds had cleared and the sun was shining.

            The bus never came, so Alex and Michael walked to Michaels’s house and Alex spent the night.  The two stayed up all night talking and getting to know each other.  The next morning they slept in and skipped school.  Alex dreamt about Michael, and it was actually a good dream, unlike his normal dreams about his mom or his dad leaving.  When he awoke, Michael was cuddling against his chest.  Alex wanted to wake Michael up, but he didn’t know how he would react when he woke up.  Alex went back to sleep cuddling up against Michael.

            That afternoon they woke up to the smell of smoke.  They quickly jumped out of bed to realize the house was on fire.  There was smoke everywhere and it made it hard to breathe.  The room felt hot, and Alex ran to open the door but the handle had burned.  He heard Michael screaming his name but could not make out where he was due to the thick smoke.  He walked towards Michael’s voice until he bumped into him.  Michael was trying to open his window, but it wasn’t budging.  Alex grabbed onto the window and helped Michael pull it open.  After a few minutes they had it open enough to climb out.  Alex helped Michael out and then he pulled himself through the window.

           

When they were out they both just stared as his small apartment burned to a crisp.  As the fire died down Michael buried his face in Alex’s chest and cried.  Alex hugged Michael tight, as the police and fire trucks pulled up.  They walked up to Alex to ask him what happened, and Alex explained everything he knew.  The fire fighters then went in to examine the ashes.  Alex didn’t know what they would find in a pile of burnt wood and ashes, but he didn’t want Michael to be here right now.  They had lived and that’s all the mattered.  “Wait,” Alex thought to himself, “did I just think about being alive as good?”

            Alex pulled Michael down the block to sit down and talk, or just let him cry.  All he wanted was for Michael to get out of the first stage of depression for now so they could talk it out.  They sat on the curb on the corner of his street for thirty minutes while Michael cried in Alex’s lap.  Alex looked over to Biffy for advice but he wasn’t there.  Where was he?  He was always there.  Alex tried his hardest to picture Biffy but all he got was Biffy’s voice. “I have done all I need to. I have given you a reason to live.  Hold him close and never let him go.  I hope I never have to do this again.  Goodbye.”  Biffy’s voice rang in Alex’s head for a few seconds, they the faded.  Alex started to cry.  Since his dad left, Biffy had been his only friend, and now he was gone.  The Alex realized why he had to go.  He had a friend now and that’s what Biffy was there for.

            Alex stood up and grabbed Michael’s hand.  They walked and walked.  They walked hands held, and eyes staring into each other’s.  They had each other now and they didn’t need anyone else.  They were each other’s one and all.

            Alex took Michael to his house to stay since his house was gone.  When they got there, there were police cars all down his block, the police were at his door about to break it down.  They watched as the police kicked it in.  They were in his house for a few minutes, but when they came back out they had Alex’s mom in handcuffs and they were walking her to the police car.  They quickly drove off but slowed down as they passed Alex and Michael.  Alex waved goodbye with a smile on his face.

© 2010 can sexy be named?


Author's Note

can sexy be named?
i wrote this short story as a paper for my 9th grade english class, sorry about the abundance of spaces i double spaced it and it came out differently on here

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oops I made quit a few typing errors

Posted 13 Years Ago


I dug it Nate. A bit short maybe more On their reletationship of you rewrote it longer? :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 25, 2010
Last Updated on September 25, 2010

Author

can sexy be named?
can sexy be named?

midland, TX



About
i love to write short stories and poetry. i like to make my writings serious, i write mainly fiction stories and deep poetry more..