Beautiful Thinkers

Beautiful Thinkers

A Story by Nathanael Lockeford
"

Inspired just minutes ago, I threw this together real quick just to try it, its the start of what I hope to be quite a fantastic story. Its just a start though and its got a long, long way to go....

"

None of us ever go near the Leavers kid.  The freak.  Seventeen years old and still he thinks like a child.  You never see a word touch his skin, all that appears is images.  Amazing, fantastic pictures.  But still, not words, not even real thoughts.  Talking to anyone else you can always see what they’re thinking.  Whether the words show up on your arms or chest, there’s always a way to read them.  Some of us get lucky, with the words only appearing somewhere inconspicuous like our hands or feet.  And then there’s those people who can’t help but flash everything right there on their face.  Of course a few people, not many, could make that look pretty damn badass.  Tommy Evans for example.  Every time Tommy got mad every curse word you could imagine printed itself into his face with the coolest font ever.  Kind of a mix between some tribal tattoo and that Old-Earth art, “Graffiti.”  Not many facers were as straight up brutal as Tommy, in fact most actually were pretty timid, shy, and quiet even in their thoughts.  Aside from Ol’ Tom Boy, facers are probably the most abused kids at school and I’m sure most of them will end up being garbagemen or something out of the way. Tommy probably won’t make it in the real world once he gets there either.  But even facers had it nice compared to Jonathan Leavers, I mean, at least people payed them some attention.  Even the Instructors tried their hardest to ignore that poor kid.  That stupid, walking freakshow.  Its not like we’ve never seen anyone with images instead of words before.  Thats the only way children think for a while after they’ve got passed the “colorful emotion” stage.  Once you hit preschool, and most kids before that, its impossible to think-print pictures anymore.  Everywhere you look you see people’s thoughts manifested in words on their skin.  And every kid wants to grow up so they can do the same thing.  Sure, some kids never learn to write like on paper, but who needs that anymore when you can just read it right off their skin?   Nobody, and I mean nobody ever thinks with images after they learn to print right.  That’s why Leavers freaks everyone out, I’m sure of it.  He’s never grown up.  He has the mind of a child..  Its kinda sad.  But its definitely not normal.  

© 2013 Nathanael Lockeford


Author's Note

Nathanael Lockeford
Just a start, but I hope to hear a few ideas on where to go from here. Any and all help is appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
Added on October 4, 2013
Last Updated on October 4, 2013