That Night...

That Night...

A Story by Neetu Mathew
"

Sometime it so happen that we take each other for granted even though deep inside we know how much they mean to us...

"

That night was different…… I often on my worst days comfort myself thinking of that night….a beautiful feeling of being me….. A night when I felt I could be something to be treasured…

 

 

My usual days where boring and kind of monotonous but from the past few weeks a new project was making my life miserable I just couldn’t concentrate on anything but this God forsaken project. To top it my personal life too was not comforting at all everyday fighting on the same topic of negligence of each other’s feeling. Both were at fault but none ready to accept defeat, it came to a point where there were no fights at all as a matter of fact no conversation at all. We go to office do our work come back cook eat watch TV and sleep. Every day the same routine. Their where times when I cried for what my life has became, not like I dreamt it to be perfect but at least peaceful. There was silence true but not peace.

 

 

Frustrated with my life I started my day with a client meeting and with no surprise we where shouted by them for not delivering the product on time and by the management for not adding any value to the company. They gave us a day’s time to make a presentation convincing enough to move forward with the project. It was crucial for us so we had to stay late to come up with a convincing presentation for the client not an easy task but for me staying late was not new and I used to love staying late as I don’t have to go to my depressing world of nothing but anger and frustration. So here we were sitting late sipping coffee after coffee selecting rejecting ideas, but unlike me my colleagues had a rather better family life so they started leaving one by one but I chose to stay behind 1 AM 2 AM 2:30AM suddenly a small jerk made me alert and I realized it was a small tremor an earthquake and I was at the 9th floor of this 16 story building I was alarmed and checked my phone for any news update it said “BREAKING NEWS: Earth Quake in Gujarat. Tremor felt in various regions of India” I quickly packed my belongings and left the building I thought going to car parking in the basement is risky so I went at the ground floor reception and saw the desk empty and went out and saw the receptionist and a guy standing out taking probably about the earthquake I went ahead to talk to them…another tremor and all I felt was a hand grabbing my shoulders so hard and swinging me to the right and finally crashing me on the ground and felt a nail in my hand which pierced my skin and hurt like hell in a split of a second I didn’t realize what just happened and then I saw this person lying beside me holding his leg…connecting all dots I realized the tremor somehow make the AC of the 5th floor go loose and this person saved me but in the process the AC fell on his leg and the nail which kept it secured pierced my hand I somehow gathered myself from the shock and helped this poor man to get on his foot which was still functioning and we managed to call a call cab as I was still scared to get my car from the basement and we went to the hospital we both where taken in different rooms I had a minor injury so I walked but for him they got a stretcher that is when I actually noticed him his face was not unfamiliar…when you work in the same building there are faces u see but never talk…. but him I remember because my friend had a crush on him and used to point him in the common cafeteria. The doctors addressed my wounds and I was given a tetanus injection. They said I am good to go. As I stood up to leave I asked the attending doctor “Where can I find the guy who came with me with a broken leg” …”oh ya he is in Ward 8 go straight and take a right Room. 17”…I walked towards his room I peeped from the door. His leg was plastered and he was sleeping probably he got sedative to ease the pain I figured not to disturb…but then I thought should I leave or stay I thought it’s better to stay till anyone from his family arrive just for the courtesy sake after all if he wouldn’t have saved me I would have been there in his place. I waited and waited and in the mean time I forgot to call home. And I dozed for a while suddenly I felt a cold hand on mine I opened my eyes and I saw my husband knelt on his knees eyes red and swollen as if he was crying for hours looking at me and all of a sudden crashed his head on my lap crying like a baby I just couldn’t understand what to do its been long since we have been nice to each other touching is not even in the picture here I am seeing my husband broken and crying on my lap I softly  placed my hand on his head and he spoke to me in his broken voice all he could bring to himself to say was“…I….Love…Yo..u” my mind was numb my heart beat was high I thought is it a dream is it my mind playing tricks on me for not sleeping for so long….then I comforted him and made him calm enough to tell me what happened and he explained “As usual I came back from work and thought you would have slept early for you have been very tired lately and also to avoid any argument as things have not been working between us lately. I then finally wrapped up and went to check on you and found your bed empty at 12:00AM I thought you must be working late but then you had the house key so I slept on the sofa at around 3:00AM I woke up for drinking water and checked on you but you where not there I got a bit concerned and called your colleague and they said they were home and you are still in office I tried your phone no answer I tried your office phone no answer and then I got this news update of earthquake fearing for the worst I rushed to your building I couldn’t find the watch man  I ran to the receptionist and suddenly the building watchman arrived and asked me my business I asked him where the receptionist is he said he went with some people to the hospital I asked him does he know with whom he said the receptionist called him saying that one sir and madam got seriously injured due to the AC which fell on they so he is taking them to the hospital I saw the shattered AC in front of me and got even more terrified but still I thought may be you are still safe in your office I asked him again if anyone is there in the building he said NO all left home because of the fear of earth quake I called your best friend she said you didn’t go there the very thought of you getting hit by AC was making me sick and every passing moment all I wanted to hear was my name from you to tell me you are fine nothing happened to you I just wanted to see you once to make sure you are fine I asked the watchman the hospital name and without wasting time I rushed here and there I saw you…and all I said to myself was “I promise to myself I am never ever going to let anything happen to her she is my treasure” you complete me…us…our world”

…after listening to all he had to say I rest my head on his shoulder and he held my hand and kissed my injured hand….that night that quake though was a horror but it jerked our life to make us realize the importance of each other…during our constant fighting and frustration we forget what will happen if we do not have each other….though the realization came to him but to this date when I put me in his shoes I feel the pain he felt….from then on we still fought argued disagreed cried but that night made our bond strong enough to bear any jerk life has to throw on us.

© 2016 Neetu Mathew


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on January 18, 2016
Last Updated on January 18, 2016

Author

Neetu Mathew
Neetu Mathew

Bhopal, Central India, India



About
I am a Software Engineer and i love writing poems and have also written few songs now trying to write some short stories more..

Writing