Masked Midnight

Masked Midnight

A Story by Alexis

The fall breeze blew the jet black stallion's mane around him. While standing on the cliff looking over the lush area. It was nighttime, and everything was sleeping, everything but the midnight horse. The church bell in the distance rang. Midnight was looking among the town of Crossman. The crows in the sky were calling to each other making the town sound eerie. The creaking of the houses stopped. The midnight horse shown in the bright moon ahead while he galloped down the hill into Crossman. The huge doors to the entrance were closed meaning they wouldn't let anyone in or out of the town till dawn. Tonight was Midnight's night to cross the town into the valley to steal the farmers mares and create his herd to roam free in the wild once more.
Midnight waited till dawn when the town started to wake and the huge steal doors creaked open. Halfway open was enough to squeeze through. He galloped in knocking down the people opening the doors as he passed. It was a mile to the farmers valley but he would have to wait until midnight once more for he should not be seen. An old barn door was open and no one lived there so he figured it should be sufficient. He waited in the barn awhile and no one came in until dusk. The door creaked open and the light filled the barn. Midnight backed to the corner in one of the stalls in the back of the barn hoping they wouldn't see him. A girl carrying a lantern walked along the wall looking in each stall. When she got to Midnight's she froze. Nothing had been in here for years. She came looking for the midnight horse when she heard the stories of the horse that broke in. Midnight looked into the girls eyes and she looked back in with all the trust in the world.

"I've heard lots about you you know." She said to him. "I'm Sadie. Do you have a name pretty boy?" She said examining his sleek coal black coat.
"I'll call you Midnight."

Sadie stayed with him until the church bells rang at midnight. He stamped in frustration when Sadie wouldn't let him pass out of the barn to go to the valley.

"What's wrong boy?" Sadie asked him when he paced around the stall. Maddie shut the doors earlier so no one would see Midnight and try to take him.

"You're not from around here are you. You look... different than the rest." She said looking down at him from a bale of hay in the hay loft. Midnight had gotten used to her voice and perked his ears up at the sound of it. She shut the stable door so he couldn't get out. Midnight kicked the door making a crack in it hoping it would make a difference later when he had to escape. But it would just have to wait until she left. In the morning Sadie said goodbye and unhooked the stable door to roam free in the barn. She threw a bale of hay down and filled the water bucket up with well water. When she opened the doors the gray light flooded in. When I tried to follow but got pushed away with only a kiss on the nose. She closed the doors and the light faded out leaving me only to be guided by the sky lights on the roof. A storm was coming, a bad one to. It wasn't safe to be outside. Yet Sadie left so she must be safe, thought the horse. Then the rain started. At fist just smooth and gentle but increasing into pouring vicious rain beating the sides of the barn. It started to leak in the roof flooding in at the corners. Midnight reared and reared in and out of the water. It was coming in now faster adding to the foot of water already inside. A mix of hail and rain began to come in. The worst of it was the hail was big meaning it was stronger and heavier. The skylight was cracking it would break in minutes. With the water already 2ft. high the extra water flooding in from the sky light wouldn't help. There was a crackling noise and glass hail balls and rain all flooded in, shattering around him. The shards of glass cut into his back he neighed and reared high in the air. The water was now rising fast at 3ft. Midnight kicked at the door to try to get it to come open. But he only made dents. The thunder rolled around him as the lightning struck the barn causing a fire to rise. The door set fire and burnt a hole in it. Midnight cast shadows as he jumped through the flaming hole and into freedom. He ran from the fiery building and to the path to the valley. But instead of continuing the path he strayed from it heading in the direction the girl went hoping he could find her. He searched far and near in search of her. He came to a shattered building he stopped hearing the sound of panic and screaming. His ears perked up hearing the voice more closely now he recognized it as the girl's voice. He ran in through the doors following the sound of her voice. He came to a stop at a fallen door seeing the girl under it.

"Midnight!" She screamed through the rain and thunder. "Help me... please" she cried the tears spilling down her face. Midnight kicked the door trying to move it off of her. The door moved off and revealed her torn up leg. Midnight fell to one leg allowing her to climb upon his back

"You... you want me to... ride you" She stumbled. Midnight neighed. She climbed up and Midnight rose. The blood from her leg flowed onto his coat staining it red. He galloped out into the rain to the valley with Sadie on his back screaming in pain every time her leg hit against his belly. In the distance the farmer's horses were spooking every time the thunder rolled by. Midnight was galloping toward the old farm house when he saw a frighted old coyote hiding in the trees. The coyote wanted just one more meal before he passed and Midnight was his target.
The coyote howled and lunged forward striking the horse's legs with his teeth sinking in. Midnight shrieked and kicked his hind legs, throwing the old coyote off into the woods. He was almost to the farm house now. His limp was slowing him down though. The power was out at the house and the farmer was safe inside. Midnight reared and shrieked to get the farmers attention and Sadie screamed for help. The Farmer opened his door slightly the ran out to help her.

"Midnight has to come in to." She yelled at him while he picked her up and carried her to the house. She whistled to him and he trotted behind them. He squeezed through the house door and clasped inside while the farmer stitched up Sadie. Midnight woke up when the farmer moved on to his leg and Sadie stroked his head to calm him down.

Over the next few weeks they sat by the fire with the farmer until it was time to go and they were all healed from their wounds. Sadie was given a bridle and saddle for Midnight to wear and she took it knowing Midnight would accept it willingly. Midnight was healed and was happy to continue back to his spot on the hill until he would come back at Midnight and take his pride back along with his mares. They rode off in the sunset with a happy stride and a smile on their face. But Midnight realized he didn't need his herd in order to get his pride back, he had Sadie.

© 2013 Alexis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on December 31, 2013
Last Updated on December 31, 2013

Author

Alexis
Alexis

Khartoum , Khartoum , Sudan



About
Hi I'm Hfia and as it obvious I'm an Arab so I don't know much of English . I write poetry in English but it is not that good and I'm trying to improve it so please... umm leave a nice comment more..

Writing
Fallen Boy Fallen Boy

A Poem by Alexis