But Then Again...

But Then Again...

A Story by Nia Hope

So my first semester of college was definitely interesting...
It all started when I left home to go to school out of state (granted it's only a four hour drive but it's still significantly far from my family). I got here and chose to be in the university drum line and it all started out fine until I actually had to be around people on a regular basis. My ex roommates were cool (sometimes) but they just didn't get me. They didn't understand all of my eccentricies (?) or my nerdness. You see they were both like the "oh my god Starbucks yas and leggings and sweaters and shopping malls and Victoria Secret" you know the stereotypical higher end girls. Don't get me wrong many of those things are totally fine it's just the attitude normally associated with the statement I was trying to get across. Anyways one of them was a total b***h like to the point here she told me to leave the room while she was watching some show even though she has these freaking amazing headphones that could block out World War III and the other one was nicer but ended up having sex with her boyfriend... in the room... while I was there... and they didn't even try to be sneaky about it! Both of them tended to talk about me behind my back... quite often but whatever that's their problem. Anyways drum line was okay the only problem was that our instructor kinda didn't know what he was doing. And on top of that at least seventy percent of the line was music majors which isn't that surprising but I didn't feel like I could really talk to about anything besides drum line. So that experience wasn't as fun as I would have hoped. After the first few weeks I really started to miss my family and I was kind of a stressed out wreck and I was almost crying every other week and  it was not fun. And then there was my partner... for one of my teaching classes we had the opportunity to actually teach in classrooms so we did it in partners and mine... well she and I didn't get along so well. We go along just enough to not hurt each other while trying to create lesson plans. Anyways she wasn't always the best at problem solving but she was better then my ex roommates. I didn't really make that many friends that semester outside of drum line and even most of them I would really only consider acquaintances and just say hey to walking down the sidewalk. And my English class oh my gosh. Imagine trying to write a four page essay on some boring a*s play that you gave absolutely  no s***s about without any prompt whatsoever besides "hey just write stuff". And it doesn't help that i couldn't even get into a math class. I'm a damn physics major I kinda need math! and I'm a semester behind because I was literally three points away from ending up in Calculus. So not only was I behind a semester because I could't get in the class I need to actually take physics but I couldn't even get into the Pre-Calculus class which was rather s****y. So after all of this you would think it as an awful semester right? And honestly it kinda was.

But on the other hand...

Remember how I said I didn't make many friends? Its true but I did make one friend who has become my best friend since moving here and who I am currently sharing a room with (I thought my roommates were bad but she and her roommate didn't speak for like a week! So her roommate and I switched kind of illegally but you didn't hear it from me). I ended up changing my major from Elementary Education to Physics Education (yes I've already been told that I am crazy and it's not fair that people are jealous of me because I know what i'm doing and they don't) and honestly it has been one of the best decisions of my life. I mean after being able to teach in a real middle school classroom and being with students... I just could't imagine being anything other than a science teacher. Even if I became an author or anything else I'd still want to teach. Its just that look they give you when that light bulb goes off and whatever you are teaching clicks its the most amazing feeling in the world. Though I was far from my boyfriend I realize that he and I actually got closer even though we were farther apart. 

So all in all it has been a first semester of ups and down but overall I think that I benefited more than I though I would. 

And now after a month long break of being home with my family and boyfriend... my second semester of university classes has begun and hopefully it will turn out better than last semester which I think it will. Ready or not, bachelor's degree here I come. 

© 2015 Nia Hope


Author's Note

Nia Hope
A summary of my life since late August. This semester I will try to read all of your wonderful pieces of work and post more but for now I hope you have enjoyed this little tale.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
Added on January 13, 2015
Last Updated on August 3, 2015
Tags: college life

Author

Nia Hope
Nia Hope

NV



About
Writing is magic and I am a magician in training with some small tricks but many more to learn. more..

Writing
Wolf Cry Wolf Cry

A Poem by Nia Hope