How to Code for Minimum Software Bugs?

How to Code for Minimum Software Bugs?

A Story by Nick Karlsson
"

This article highlights the critical points for developers to keep in mind for minimal bugs in the software before deployment.

"

Bugs are common in software development, and they come from code errors, lack of testing in the entire software development lifecycle. But there are various ways to prevent bugs or to reduce their presence in the code.


Some best practices should be implemented while coding to deliver high-quality software. Here is the list:


Test-driven development 


It is essential to run a test case to see if they fail or not. If they fail, then rewrite the code to improve the code function. Test-driven development has a short development cycle. It reduces the number of errors that can take place at later stages.


Simple code to success 


A complex code leads to more bugs and can be more challenging to fix them. Coders should always create code as per coding standards.


Code Modules 


It is always useful to create code and split it into various modules as per software needs. Creating modules of code also lead to effective testing. You can write test cases for each module. If initially, you wrote a larger and complex code then modules will reduce the complexity.


Code comments


It is essential to write precise and exact comments to support code, but it shouldn’t be used to improve code readability. If code is not written, then it will always contain more bugs and will keep on producing bugs even at the later stages of the Software development lifecycle.


Frequent testing 


Code should be tested each time any change is made; this is also called regression testing. Regular testing of the code helps in refining the code structure that leads to fewer errors in the software at the time of deployment. Testers can use various tools to track bugs. Some tools offer complete traceability of requirements and test cases with bugs. It is one of the advantages of Jira Bug Tracking Tools.


Reviewing Code 

It is excellent if you can review code line by line to make it clear, concise, and more meaningful. You can also align the code with coding standards to ensure high-quality code.


Timely delivery 


It is crucial to work within timelines; writing code in haste will lead to more errors. It is always preferred to plan first and then create code and deploy it later. Errors at the later stage of the software development lifecycle hamper delivery timelines as well as the quality of the product.


Using Libraries

 

Using extensive libraries to use the function that you have used before. This will reduce the time and reduce the risk of bugs.

© 2019 Nick Karlsson


Author's Note

Nick Karlsson
The quality of the software is highly dependent on coding practices. It is vital to ensure you follow the best practices.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on December 4, 2019
Last Updated on December 4, 2019
Tags: jira bug tracking, software bugs, coding, software

Author

Nick Karlsson
Nick Karlsson

Stockholm, Sweden



About
Nick is a consulting quality analyst at a leading IT company and has over ten years of experience in testing and quality control. He has authored various publications about software testing cycle, sof.. more..

Writing