Happily Ever After

Happily Ever After

A Story by .nicole.

Deep breath, he really does love you, and soon all this will be over. After today this growing knot of nerves in my chest will be gone. Take a sip of ice water. There, now isn’t that better? I would love to lie down for a moment, but I can’t. I must think of the wrinkles and creases it would put in my dress. My beautiful white dress, beading making light dance off my bosom, flowing satin shimmering down from my hips to cover my perfectly painted toes. I can’t bring myself to hide them in my shoes just yet. I would rather be bare foot than in those heals anyway. I used to spend all summer without even thinking of putting a real pair of shoes on. I used to run through the daisy fields bare foot. The sun would beat down on my head, bleaching my already blonde hair and tanning whatever skin it could lay its rays on. Even then I would dream of this day, and now all I wish for is to be young again.

            Deep breath, today is going to be the happiest day of your life. Then why does this knot in my chest grow larger by the second? It is just the nerves. As soon as I see his handsome face, everything will be totally fine. How far away that moment seems. Tick, tick, tick. The old grandfather clock seems to slow down to almost a stop. Tick… Tick… Tick… The seconds seem to stretch endlessly into hours. I pace back and forth in the empty room. What feels like years ago this room was filled with people; my cousins, aunts, friends, my mother, and grandmother. I glance at the clock. That was only fifteen minutes ago. How much longer will I have to wait? As soon as that thought crosses my mind the door opens a crack.

My sweet old father pokes his balding head into the room. His eyes grow large and teary at the sight of me. I know what he sees; he sees his little baby girl all grown up and in a wedding dress. He’s recalling all the times I ran into his arms crying and the times I had run from him crying. It’s time. I compose my nerves, yet the knot grows larger. I slip on my heels, walk towards the door, and grasp my father’s hand. He is so proud of everything I have become; I can see it in his eyes. We pace ourselves and head towards the top of the stairs. Here we pause. He takes both my hands and looks into my eyes. We say nothing, just look into each other’s eyes. He knows I have someone else to cry to now, but knows I will always come to him. I will always be his little girl curled up on his lap asleep after a long day.

Deep breath, we start down the stairs, slowly, one step at a time. I just want to sprint down the stairs, through the church, and into his arms, but I know I must pace it all. Finally we come to the chapel doors; arm in arm, we wait for our cue to start down the aisle. I hear the wedding march begin. The nerves in my chest build up; I feel as though it’s going to burst out of my chest. Slowly the doors swing open and all I see is his loving face at the altar. The whole world melts away and it’s my happily every after.

© 2010 .nicole.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

'heels' not 'heals'
'barefoot' is one word

Bwahaha, first on something else of yours.

I'm probably a terrible person to review this; I hate big fancy weddings, and your description of the bride at the beginning made me wince a little. I can't bring myself to like it, but fortunately, that's not entirely bias.

You could break this up a little more than you do, make it several short paragraphs instead of a few long ones. As much as I did hate your description, you could also stand to make that considerably longer. This whole thing is incredibly short, and it's very difficult to convey any meaningful emotion in the limited content you provide. Why not stretch it out and pack more of a punch?

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 26, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010

Author

.nicole.
.nicole.

About
I used to write all the time, and I think I am going to try and start writting again. Comment on my work, I always want feedback! more..

Writing
Infatuation Infatuation

A Poem by .nicole.


Heavy Heavy

A Poem by .nicole.