Mike

Mike

A Story by rollerbladegirl
"

"No one likes an Indian giver," he replies. Keeps pace with me. "It's yours."

"
February 16, 2018 
3:46 PM· 
Jodi, Rory, Shelley, Mike, and I huddle together. Pull our chairs close. I pull out my prize. Something I've wanted to grab since the beginning of the trip. We feast like kings on two pizzas from Pizza Hut. It's the least I could give. Didn't even take me that long to hike the 5 miles to pick them up. It's worth it to see the surprise on their faces.
When we're finished. And it's time to go, Jodi and Mike get up from the comfort of their chairs. Gather their belongings.
"Is that all you have to wear!" Mike remarks.
"What's wrong with my coat?" I ask. "It's fine." I brush off his comment. Keep buttoning up the sweatshirt.
"Put this on," he presses his sweatshirt into my hands. "Zip it up." I push it back into his hands. He doesn't give me the chance. "It's yours. You'll stay warm."
"Yes, dad," I respond jokingly. 
"Zip it up," he repeats again.
I roll my eyes. Do what he says. "Now, can we go?"
"Yes."
This jacket is his favorite. Why did he give it to me? I don't understand. I have enough. Back home, I have a closet full of clothes. He has nothing. He should keep what he has. Not give it away. What if he doesn't find another one like it? Before I get to Greyhound station, I try one more time. "Take it," I tell him. "I'll be warm enough."
"No one likes an Indian giver," he replies. Keeps pace with me. "It's yours."
We say our goodbye's without saying the words. Because I will see them again. I don't know how I can leave. They've become like family.
Jodi steps 20 feet away. Lights up. Blows out. They wave goodbye. When I turn my head where they'd been standing, it's empty space. They're gone.
The greatest act of love I experience on the trip is when Mike hands me his sweatshirt. I would never have asked for anyone's best. Least of all him. The people beside me. They don't have a lot to start out with. Mike never asked me, though. He just gave.
Mike gave me HIS BEST. His time. His honesty. His favorite sweatshirt. His love.
Would you? 
Would you give your best to someone you hardly knew? Do you give your best to those who can never repay you?
That is love.

© 2018 rollerbladegirl


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on May 3, 2018
Last Updated on May 3, 2018