Cadiz

Cadiz

A Story by Joe Doherty
"

A young girl searches for her father as a storm ensues.

"


 

A grim bank of cloud creeps over the city skyline towards the Cathedral. In the dull overcast light, the streaks of lightning flash against the white of its ancient baroque towers. Lara runs through the narrow streets calling for her father. A scamp of a girl, she runs barefooted with her long dark hair blowing over her eyes.

“Papa!" she cries, sweeping away her hair.

 

Lara turns corner after corner and sees face after face, every one she meets is preoccupied with taking refuge from the storm. In a square outside the Church of Santiago, she comes across a friendly figure, that of Maria who owns the bakery on the road opposite her house.

“Have you seen my Papa Senora?”

“Oh my child,” answers Maria, "quick come in, it is about to break."

 

Maria wears a white overcoat and her dark hair hangs in a tight, neat ponytail. She ushers Lara through a tall heavy door leading to a tiled porch way. The rumbling of thunder and the warm wind that stirs up the dust in the streets compounds the crescendo of the ensuing storm.

“Come Lara," whispers Maria, "let's look out the window for Papa".

 

They climb the stairs and walk through Maria's bedroom to the window. They look out onto the empty street as the first raindrops start to fall on the dry cobbled road outside. Lara pokes her head through the net curtains onto the balcony. A droplet of rain lands on her face as the sound of the rain gets louder against the street below.

 

“You'll soak, Lara,” says Maria softly, “sit; you can still see the street from here.” Maria sits Lara down and elegantly moves over to her vanity table. Picking up a silver hairbrush and letting down her ponytail.

“It doesn't even look like Cadiz out there," says Maria, looking behind herself in the mirror at Lara, "not with the rain". Lara looks away from the street and over at Maria. The rain outside continues to lash.

 

Maria looks at Lara's worried eyes, “Don’t be afraid," she says, "we'll find him."

 

"I'm scared," says Lara as she wraps her arms around her knees, "will you look after me?"

 

Maria stands up and gently points down at the vanity chair. "Shall I brush your hair while we wait?" she says, as rolls of thunder crack through the streets below.

 

A look of joy passes over Lara's face. She nods shyly and moves over to sit in front of the mirror. Maria ruffles Lara's locks dry and starts untangling the girl's long brown Mediterranean hair.

 

"Do you like living in Cadiz, Lara?" says Maria.

 

Lara shrugs her shoulders.

 

"When I was a girl I would run to the beach and spend all day swimming and jumping from the bridge at San Sebastein. I love Cadiz very much," said Maria, "and the Carnival; it is the best in all of Spain. My father sings in the band every year. Have you seen it?" Lara slowly shakes her head; she looks down as Maria continues to groom her hair. Suddenly, she looks up and changes her reaction as she remembers.

 

"Mama would sing," says Lara. Maria stops brushing; the atmosphere of the storm has begun to subside although it is still raining outside.

 

"My Mama too," says Maria, "did your mama sing beautifully?" She asks. Lara nods and tears begin to well up in her eyes. Maria strokes the side of Lara's head and wipes the tears that have fallen down her cheek. "You are very brave Lara," she says, "your mother would be proud of you."

 

In time, the sun starts to reflect from the puddles that have gathered on the balcony outside and the room becomes lighter.

 

"Looks like the storm may have past," says Maria, "shall we go and find your Papa?" Lara smiles and jumps from the chair.

 

As they walk the streets, the bustle of the city builds. The warmth of the sun dries the dampness of the rain soaked pavements. As they turn the corner into the main square, Lara spots her father in the distance.

 

"It's Papa!" She cries running and dodging the crowds of Cadizians emerging from their homes.

 

His white shirt is soaked through and his hair is wet.  He sees his daughter through the crowd and opens up his arms. She jumps onto him, wrapping her arms and legs around him.

 

"Lara," he says hugging her tightly, "I was so worried. Where have you been?"

 

Before Lara can answer, Maria emerges from the crowd and her father's eyes light up.

 

"Maria, thank you," he says.

 

Holding Lara in his arms, he leans towards Maria and kisses her. Lara giggles as her impishness returns and the gold that adorns the Cathedral towers glistens in the indomitable Iberian sunshine.

 

 

© 2014 Joe Doherty


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on October 21, 2014
Last Updated on October 21, 2014
Tags: story, cadiz, fiction, girl, father, lovley, nice

Author

Joe Doherty
Joe Doherty

Writing
Nothing Nothing

A Story by Joe Doherty


BFF BFF

A Poem by Joe Doherty