Welcome to the Age of Convergence by Robert Frigault

Welcome to the Age of Convergence by Robert Frigault

A Story by nthWORD.com

In 1999 I separated from two significant things: I got rid of my entire CD collection and I threw out my television. I was ready for the age of convergence. The medium had changed, but the people around me hadn't grasped the significance. Before I got rid of my collection, I ripped it. Then I stuffed the CD's (over 500 hundred of them) into a large duffle bag. On my way to Art and Trash, the local secondhand music store, I ran into a friend. An avid music fan, I let him take what he wanted and he was thrilled at his newfound bonanza. I'll have to look him up and ask him if he still uses any of those CDs. If he doesn't, I'll remind him that he only has a few more years left to enjoy them before they expire. According to manufacturers, CDs will last 20 years, but recent statements by the United National Archives and Records Administration suggest that a lifespan of 3 - 5 years is more accurate. Apparently the aluminum coating on which the data is recorded is vulnerable to oxidation.

Now, over 10 years later, in the era of iTunes and the iPod, people are still holding on to their CDs. I asked a friend why he likes CDs and his responsewas that it's a physical medium. He said he likes the security: if his computer is ever stolen or crashes, he will have a backup. I'm not buying it.

Read the full story at nthWORD.com!

 

© 2009 nthWORD.com


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on March 12, 2009

Author

nthWORD.com
nthWORD.com

Hartford, CT



About
nthWORD is an online magazine featuring highly original satires and allegories, gut-busting articles on politics and pop-culture, fiction, poetry, and visual art with a punchy, acerbic tone. We are p.. more..

Writing