Well Said

Well Said

A Story by Oddition
"

From cafe baker to potion maker, join Drew's odd journey to "wellness."

"

CHAPTER ONE


“I’d asked for something with no sugar.” The woman placed a plate of decapitated muffin briskly on the counter.


“There’s no sugar added,” said Drew. Her nametag hung lopsided on her apron.


“It was sweet. I mean, it was good--”


“There’s no sugar added,” Drew repeated. “I made it with anise.”


“An--what?”


“Anise. Star anise. It’s a spice and it tastes sweet -- you know, in tea, that sort of thing.”


The woman stared blankly and said, “Well, in any case, too many carbs for me. Thank you anyway.” She dropped a few coins graciously in the tip jar and click-clacked out the front door of the café.


Drew sighed, wiping some flour from her glasses and repositioning them on her nose.


Her phone buzzed. It was a notification from the application, Flamez. Her “new match” was apparently Brad, age 25; firefighter, dog lover, lady tamer.


Drew walked the muffin plate toward the compost bin, paused, and glanced behind her. Seeing no other customers, she furtively took a bite. Not bad. It was sweet. That star anise would make her very successful in this diet-crazed neighborhood. Now, to market it correctly…


“Oh, miss?”


A sing-song voice caught Drew off guard. She could have sworn there wasn’t a single other customer in the café.


“Over here,” the voice continued. “I apologize, I took the liberty of moving one of your tables to this lovely sofa over here. It is just the perfect view of the water, wouldn’t you agree?”


A woman, perhaps in her mid-sixties, sat near the back patio with her arms outstretched behind a bundle of grey-black curls. She wore stark magenta lipstick and clutched two (or three?) oversized pleather purses. Small cylindrical containers were scattered on the table she had moved. She smiled widely. “Would you kindly bring me an espresso, my dear? Better make it decaf.”


“Um, yes. One moment.” Drew blinked and obliged. She was not sure why this woman’s appearance had struck her so thoroughly. Drew was certain she had seen her in the café before, but she had never given her a proper look until now.


Holding the espresso delicately on a saucer, Drew approached the woman’s cluttered table and hesitated. The woman looked up and whisked the containers aside, several rolling onto the floor. “Oh, pardon me. Don’t worry, I’ll get them.”


Drew placed the espresso on the newly cleared table. “Enjoy,” she said shyly and turned away.


“Excuse me,” the woman said brightly, “but does this cookie have that star anise you were talking about?” She held up the tiny biscuit that accompanied the espresso.


“Oh, just normal sugar,” said Drew. “But I have another one of those muffins if you’re interested?”


“Yes, please,” the woman said. Her cheeks stretched into another wide grin. Hardly a wrinkle, Drew observed. She wondered whether credit was due to a surgeon or esthetician or…?


The woman’s eyes widened as Drew presented the muffin on another plate. “Well, goodness, I couldn’t possibly finish that!”


Shouldn’t I be used to self-hating women by now? Drew thought dryly.


“Probably will, though!” the woman added.


She took a bite. “Ah. Amazing. Never heard of star anise as a natural sweetener before. I couldn’t help overhearing you because I have…” The woman stopped herself, raising an eyebrow. “Oh, I couldn’t spoil it. I am sorry, I can’t give away critical business secrets.”


“That’s okay,” Drew said thickly. “Wouldn’t want you to do that.”


“It’s just that I’ve been watching you, dear,” the woman continued. “Oh, that sounded strange, didn’t it?” She chimed a laugh. “I just mean that I have noticed your inventive baking in this café and I admire your ingenuity. You’ve got a touch for the health-savvy customer. Always some interesting gluten substitute, tea infusion, pea protein, 'tofoodles' or -- I don’t know!”


“Thank you.” Drew flushed.


“I am also health conscious, you could say. Is that your interest?”


“I want to be a nutritionist,” Drew said. She almost finished her sentence with when I grow up, but realized she was in fact a grown up. One of her hands subconsciously moved over her stomach, which protruded a bit more horizontally than she would have liked.


“That’s wonderful!” the woman gushed. “Never stop experimenting. My name is Erla, by the way.”


“Nice to meet you. I’m Drew.” Drew felt she already knew this woman somehow, as if she were a long-lost eccentric aunt.


“Now that we’re friends, I must tell you my secret,” Erla said, seeming pleased with herself. Eyes sparkling, she reached for one of the containers that had been flung from the table.

© 2020 Oddition


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well written introductory chapter. I am eager for more so the chapter has done its job well, which of course, means the writer has done a good job. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 3 Years Ago


This is quite interesting, written with an engaging style. Will there be more? You've got me wondering about some things.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2020
Last Updated on September 14, 2020
Tags: humor, alternative medicine, adventure, mystery, ayahuasca, jungle, bakery, health, light-hearted

Author