When the Wheels Stop Turnin' (flash fiction)

When the Wheels Stop Turnin' (flash fiction)

A Story by Odin Roark
"

Age, especially witnessing it in parents, does have it’s lighter moments, few as they might be.

"
When the Wheels Stop Turnin’
                                  by Odin Roark

It’s not just gas, Gladys.  Damn it.  I know gas and this ain’t gas.

It’s gas.

Am I spent like a worn car? Is my transmission filled with nothing but fragments of old gears, gunkin’ up my forward momentum?  Leavin’ me sittin’ on this bed like an idling clunker wanting only to shut down, huh?  

You’re rambling again, dear.

Or have my wheels stopped turnin’ ‘cause there’s nowhere else to go?  Nothing else to see?

You have the remote, dear.

If the engine still sparks, if the rest of the body is lubricated, if all that’s missing is…someplace to go, shouldn’t I be kickin’ my own a*s, worrying less about if I have enough insurance and…and just plain goin’ for it?  Like we used to do?  Remember those days, Gladys?

Yes dear.  And they were good days, but Lucy reruns start at ten.

Reruns, shlemielruns!  Did you shut the garage door?

Of course.  Why?

You didn’t lock it, did you?  You always forget to lock it.

I locked it.  You’re always on me…why so concerned, for Gods sake?

In case we want to…you know, go for it…later.  Rev the engine.  Go somewhere.  See somethin’.

You’re sweet, but that’s the gas talking, Leo.  It’s already later.  Ten o’clock.  Drink your Ovaltine, dear, and turn up the volume.

© 2013 Odin Roark


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on May 20, 2013
Last Updated on May 20, 2013
Tags: aging

Author

Odin Roark
Odin Roark

Talent, OR



About
Background in NY/LA entertainment and arts, Now Novelist/Poet/Humanist. Two novels published: ECHOSIS, 3 WAY MIRROR. Poems published in "Said and Unsaid" Vol 1. In 2012 - 2 volumes of my poetry were.. more..

Writing