Can Fall Leaves Kill Grass?

Can Fall Leaves Kill Grass?

A Story by Amelia Olivia

If you neglected to clean Fallen leaves, then it will accumulate and form a dense mass that can damage or kill grass and plants. Those leaves will reduce water evaporation and block sunlight. That wet conditions encourage mold, fungus and other diseases to grow. those will easily wipe out a healthy lawn in less than a year. Piles of fallen leaves can make fire hazard in dry condition. So be ready to deal with fallen leaves.




Effective Method to Deal with Fallen Leaves

Well, you have two main options: mulching and composting.

 

Mulching Fallen Leaves

Presently fallen leaves are mulched with mulching lawn mowers. Those unique mowers are attached with amazing features that can sherd leaf, debris into small pieces in a while. this natural process of mulching can easily make leaves into compost. You can try it on your lawn that will be beneficial. So you should mulch leaves regularly during the fall.


Early mid-fall is the right time to mulch leaves. Because the average temperature will be warmer and that decompose leaves more quickly. So try to mulch your lawn that time and should not be allowed more than 1 inch of mulch layer. If it’s more, then there is a risk that microbes could begin a race with your grass for valuable nitrogen. This can reduce the valuable effects of the mulch.

 

Otherwise, if you have an overabundance of leaves on your lawn. Then you have to consider to take another leaf to remove methods.


Composting Leaves

Composted fallen leaves offer better immediate benefits than mulched leaves. You should compost fallen leaves before returning them to your lawn. Composted leaves will add phosphorous and potassium to the soil. These increase the soils ability to drain and water retaining capacity as well.


Many lawn care enthusiasts are choosing to use compost drums. This process requires less time than mulching leaves. For applications that you need to have a compost drum. Then filled two-thirds of the drum with leaves, apply ¼ a cup of nitrogen-infused fertilizer then moistened. You have to turn the drum once or twice in every three to four days.


Don’t Forget to Mow Your Lawn

Though it's important to remove fallen leaves from the lawn in time. Also, you must confirm that you mow your lawn at least once before winter comes. It will prevent overgrown and matted grass making that can carry disease and bacteria.

 


Finally, keep those things in mind and care about your lawn. It's a common misconception that adding moisture to the lawn during the cold month can harm the lawn. Your lawn still needs a standard watering rate of 1 inch per week. If rain or water doesn't occur it, then you will need to do it. You know proper lawn care doesn't stop once fall or winter arrives. 


© 2018 Amelia Olivia


Author's Note

Amelia Olivia
If your lawn is large, raking will be exhausting. Best backpack blower is the better solution. Keep doing your lawn care and it will ensure that you have a healthy and beautiful lawn when spring comes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on August 28, 2018
Last Updated on August 28, 2018
Tags: Lawn, gardening

Author

Amelia Olivia
Amelia Olivia

San Francisco, CA



About
Problem solver. Web maven. Gamer. Food fanatic. Introvert. Writer. Analyst. Pop culture buff. more..

Writing