Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis

A Poem by Olivia Clune

The clear film disables my perception of the world around me.

However, I see a light.

I am drawn to it.

Yet, I am afraid.

It is warm and inviting. It almost has a voice, a gentle whisper as smooth as running water in an undisturbed brook.

There is playful laughter and a pitter patter of small footsteps. 

What is out there? I want to know. I have been idle for so long. I knew not the outside. I only knew myself and inside of my cocoon.

I was safe here.

A gust of air permeates through the delicate barrier. I feel a burst of electricity awaken every muscle, ever ligament, every fiber of my being.

It is time to move.

It is time to break the seal.

As the world has changed, I have changed as well. I transformed into something I would like to become familiar with. The past must stay behind the door of time. It becomes a memory, a memory that drives me forward, farther from the door. As long as I trudge forward, the past will not catch up. 

I will create a future so grand, I will shake loose the shell I had built. 

The shell was my protection. 

The shell gave me solitude.

The shell induced anxiety. 

Like a pearl in the ocean, so pure and valuable, it is sheltered. Not many eyes are able to lay upon it. And then, one day, it is too late. The pearl gets swallowed by the deep abyss of our mysterious oceans. 

How can we save something that we had no knowledge of existence?

It is my time to exist.

It is my time to break free.

I begin to tear through.

It is easier than I had previously thought.

Fresh air weaves in and out of my nose and mouth, winding between locks of my hair, dancing up and down my bare skin.

I feel pure like the pearl.

I feel hope like a butterfly.

Wings expanding outward,

I fly.

© 2017 Olivia Clune


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

"It is easier than I had previously thought." I like that.

Posted 7 Years Ago


A gripping poem about the doubts regarding taking a leap of faith. You can feel the curiosity, the keen interest in doing so, yet still an uncertainty. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this and liked the unorthodox approach to writing a poem.
-Threads

Posted 7 Years Ago


Beautiful... wonderful sense of becoming free, and the struggle it takes to become so.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 28, 2017
Last Updated on January 28, 2017

Author

Olivia Clune
Olivia Clune

NY



About
I am 20 years old and a bit of a weirdo. more..

Writing
3AM 3AM

A Story by Olivia Clune