LEDs, Pavement, and Pettiness

LEDs, Pavement, and Pettiness

A Story by L.M. Hanewald
"

A naive and self absorbed college student meets with her high school sweetheart to end their two year relationship.

"

I pulled the black truck into the stranded lot. The bright and colorful LED’s shining from the store made the sleek pavement reflect wildly invasive colors. My eyes were drawn to the surface as I sat staring out the car window in front of me.

I had parked the car in the far back of the lot; hoping to gain as much distance from people as possible. I had practiced what I was going to say to you- what I needed to say in order to keep things civil- in order to keep you from getting hurt. Should I play music, maybe?

No, that would be stupid. I kept checking my phone to see if you had replied yet, if you had shown up early. It was 9:55. We said we’d meet at 10. I got here early so I could attempt to park decently. I checked my phone again.


You: I’m in the middle of the lot.


My heart sank into the soles of my feet.


Me: I parked in the back, and I don’t really want to have to repark. Can you meet me there?


You: I’m not going to repark.


I turned the top half of my body around to face the suggested area. A figure sat solemnly on the hood of a car; his hands stuffed in his pockets, his head hanging low. He knows what’s going to happen I concluded. My heart, at this point, was in the the pavement below the black truck’s tires.

I got out of the car. As I walked over, you continued your dramatic pose. Always so freakin dramatic.

“Hey,” My voice shook. You stood up from the car hood to face me, and that’s when I realized where your hands actually were. Instead of residing in your pockets, they were hung in front of you; holding a folded sweater of mine, and my copy of Clockwork Orange. Oh.

Your face looked sunken and sad. Drooping bags hung from your hollowed out eyes and your hair sat on your head like a wet mop, except it wasn’t raining. You never showered when things got busy. That always grossed me out a bit.

“I’ve decided to continue my life without you in it.” Your voice sounded so dull, yet so exaggerated. This had definitely been rehearsed; you had definitely went over in your head how exactly you’d approach this. I could picture you then, making that decision. Of course, you probably thought that that was the best option- you tended to overlook actual maturity. So I understood.

“Here’s your stuff.” Abruptly, I found my possessions in my hands, forced there aggressively, within the next second.

“I was coming here for the same reason actually-” I began. I just really wanted this to be civil. I wanted us to be on the same page, to leave that location feeling liberated and new.

“Bye.”

Your hands were already behind the wheel of your car when I tried to speak again. Two years of you finally done with all in a matter of minutes. I didn’t even have to explain a thing.

I went back to my car thinking about my ego, and bought myself a coffee.

© 2018 L.M. Hanewald


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

.......I read this story and I cannot help but feel through the entire journey of its short trajectory. I loved every line of it; every image. It flowed beautifully and told a gripping story. WOW! I much enjoyed the second person narration too - it added a sort of depth, like we were really feeling what the unnamed female protagonist is going through in her head as the story progresses. Marvellous! I really have no words that could possibly do justice to how this story made me feel. Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L.M. Hanewald

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much! Means a lot to hear that, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!



Reviews

Rings true. Truth is the currency of good writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L.M. Hanewald

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
.......I read this story and I cannot help but feel through the entire journey of its short trajectory. I loved every line of it; every image. It flowed beautifully and told a gripping story. WOW! I much enjoyed the second person narration too - it added a sort of depth, like we were really feeling what the unnamed female protagonist is going through in her head as the story progresses. Marvellous! I really have no words that could possibly do justice to how this story made me feel. Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

L.M. Hanewald

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much! Means a lot to hear that, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 22, 2018
Last Updated on March 22, 2018
Tags: breakup, breaking up, break up, lights, cars, parking lot, sad, dramatic, pettiness, romance

Author

L.M. Hanewald
L.M. Hanewald

New York, NY



About
Major in English Language and Literature at Pace University. Enthusiast of great stories, great writing, beautiful nature, and coffee. "Patience is not about waiting, but the ability to keep a good.. more..

Writing