Cryptid

Cryptid

A Story by SandraDee

The Abominable Snowman and why HE is 100% Real

By: Audrey Dunning; PhD

Sources: Audrey Dunning; PhD, Yeti

            Cryptid is such a stupid word, I hate it. Pseudoscience. Another stupid word. I am not a pseudoscientist, I am a scientist. I have a doctorate in zoology! I don’t introduce myself as Pseudoscientist Audrey Dunning. That would be dumb, because guess what, I am DOCTOR Audrey Dunning. And I’m not a crypto zoologist. I am a zoologist who knows the abominable snowman to be real. How do I know it’s real? Well, if you will simply listen to my story, unlike most people, I will tell you. Thank you. 

I have always been a very rational person. I believe in what everyone else believes in: God, the Bermuda Triangle, gravity, evolution, Atlantis, and Global Warming. I had never given any thought to the Abominable snowman, I mean, who does? My friend and I liked to listen to Hanson and Styx like normal people. I never gave him a single thought until I was eighteen, until I saw him up close.

That Friday night my friend was sick with chicken pox for the fifth time, so I didn’t have much to do so I decided to take a walk. I lived in Maine, and it was mid-January, so obviously it was very cold. My parents never cared though, so I left and walked around in my neighborhood. I walked out back by the trees into the forest no one ever went except me. My friend and I used to but she started always getting sick with chicken pox and malaria and all these bad diseases. So it was just me back then, until that night. That night I walked back into the forest and saw a large, white, furry, object. Object was the first word that popped into my head when I saw him and I’ve regretted that ever since, because he is not an object. He is a he. He is a living animal with feelings. When I saw HIM, he turned around as though he sensed I was there even though I wasn’t making a sound. I realized what this “object” (not an object, not an it, not a thing, a HE), was right away. It was the abominable snowman! The one and only. Yeah I know, you think the snowman lives in Antarctica or the Himalayas or Alaska, but I am here to tell you, he lives in Maine. He lives in my old backyard. The whole time he was right by me, always there and I never knew it. That night, when he saw me, he walked towards me. Most people walk away from me when they see me but not him. He walked towards me like we had always known each other. He took three steps and then backed away. I have never been offended because those three steps meant so much. He stepped towards me and changed my life forever. It was then I decided to go into zoology and prove the existence of this beautiful creature.

I started a club at my high school called “The Abominable Snowman and why HE is 100% real”. When I made the announcement of the club, the interest was great. Three of the football players signed up for it right away! I was very excited, but when the time for the first meeting came, none of them showed. I went to the room and when I walked in, the whiteboard had the words “FREAK” and “WHACK JOB” and other hateful words. It was then that I knew they got to them. The disbelievers. Most likely the science club kids. They convinced my football players to write these awful things about the snowman on the board to hurt his feelings. To make him go back into hiding so his existence will never be proven. Those “scientists” brainwashed my friends, and that made me mad. I couldn’t deal with the hate towards my friend, he was just misunderstood. When I went and talked to the football players the next day they ignored me. They ignored my pleas for them to come and apologize to him, and to come into the woods and meet him. They ignored my persistence to find it in their hearts to believe again. They ignored it all. That night I went back into the woods alone. It took me a while, but I eventually found him, sitting by a tree all alone. He was curled up, looking down. The way I sit in school. He just got me so well. I went and sat next to him. And unlike the football players, he didn’t move away. He didn’t ignore me. He sat there and looked at me. I looked back at him, and neither of us said a word, we just sat, curled up, together. Comforting each other.

I went back there every day in high school and did the same thing. In the spring I worried he would leave me, but he didn’t. He didn’t even change color because he didn’t have to adapt for me because I accepted him. My club never took off at school, it was just me. No one would let me prove him to them. Those science conspiracy kids took over the school with their brainwashing. But I got over it. I had my Yeti with me. One day, in the summer, I told him I had to leave him

“I’m going to school tomorrow. I’m off to the University of Maine to study zoology. I’m going to learn all about creatures like you” I told him. He never talks but he looked at me and nodded. He understood I had to do it, for me. For him. For us. I was not excited about leaving him, but I did.

I left him and went off to college and learned all about tigers and mammoths and dogs and fish, and all these animals. These animals that had facts about them, and were placed into species and branches of the animal kingdom. They had definite characteristics and were placed in a box. It was only then that I realized. Yeti is not an animal to be put into a box. He is a creature, as unique as each individual human. He shouldn’t be taught about as though everyone knows him. He should be taught about as a beautiful living thing. He shouldn’t be kept in a cage for studying, or pictured in a textbook. And with all that, my desire to prove his existence vanished. I had been so focused on letting everyone know who he was, I forgot about him. He shouldn’t live that life. Yes, I want the world to know he is real, but I don’t want the world to study him. Anytime I go back to the woods he’s always there for me. He never talks, just stands or sits and listens to me. Sometimes I watch him from a distance and feel safe. I know I could capture him and bring him in and prove his existence and be a world renowned SCIENTIST and not a loon pseudoscientist with no money, who gets, rejected by every university and only gets placed on TV shows to be laughed at. Yeah, I could get rid of all of that, but I couldn’t do that to him. He deserves to live in peace. I may not have anything else, but I have him, and I will never lose that.

So you see? I’m not crazy! Now that you’ve given me the chance to explain I know you believe me. I don’t want you to flock to Maine after my convincing story, I just want you to know. But to be honest, it’s not about believing me, it’s about getting comfort from him, just as I do. You believing me is simply a perk to you being comforted by the thought of him. So I thank you, as you should thank me for giving you this creature to believe in. You’re welcome.

© 2015 SandraDee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Cryptid comes from crypotozoology, which is the search for hidden animals, that are undiscovered by science, or were thought to be extinct. I agree about pseudoscience, which means false of fake. I prefer the term fringe science, because they are outside of mainstream scientific research. I too believe the Yeti does exists.

Posted 2 Years Ago


that was super touching till that last paragraph throughout the story the character started sounding sincere and moving and then yep theres the crazy.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Chickenpox for the 5th time? XD

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 25, 2015
Last Updated on October 25, 2015

Author

SandraDee
SandraDee

Saginaw, MI



About
I'm a very inexperienced writer but I want to start sharing my works more..

Writing
Kansas Sky Kansas Sky

A Story by SandraDee


Uncle Frank Uncle Frank

A Story by SandraDee