THE DATE WITH COURAGE

THE DATE WITH COURAGE

A Story by charminine
"

STEPPING OUT OF THE COMFORT ZONE, EXPOSES US TO MORE OPPORTUNITIES THAN WE CAN IMAGINE

"
'I didn't quite get it. Why would someone as strong and desirable as Courage ask to take me on a Picnic to the Special Land of Pleasure? I mean there were girls like Melody, with the sweet voice; Graceful, with the cat walk; Fun, with the zest for life; who would easily be compatible with him, and would flow with his kind of people. I was just Timid, the girl with the feeble knees, weak eyes, thin arms, and tiny legs. I didn't have Beauty's sweet smile, nor did I have Virtue's strong arms. But I went with Courage all the same. I was too stupefied to know that he liked me inspite of my many shortcomings to think of any other response but a 'yes’. And Courage did take me places. But it is not the easy paths that leads to The Special Land of Pleasure, He took me through. Rather, we went along tight ropes of pain, across the mighty ocean of despair; he took me through tunnels of doubt, and rocky paths of challenges. My feet were sore, and my legs ached from climbing up hills of hopelessness, and walking through valleys of self pity. After that, we began treading the unfamiliar paths of uncertainty. I regretted that I agreed to go with Courage, and was even more vexed when I realized that the content of the picnic basket was not real food, but faith, perseverance, grace, determination and passion. Amazingly though, what he fed me at each point on our journey was just exactly what I needed. However, very far from what I wanted. Eventually, after what seemed like hours, and we had already gone up and down more ravines of mistakes, across little streams of being humbled, up another hill of putting in more effort, and over logs that lay across the absolutely unpredictable stream of waiting; we finally got to our destination. Seated on a mat at the picnic spot, were two other couples: Romance and Fun; Beauty and Excitement. They were friends of Courage, who never ever seemed to notice me. But to my surprise, as we approached the mat, Courage’s arms supporting my tired back, Beauty said, Timid, is that you? You look so different. You've got a twinkle in your eye, and oh my gosh, whatever you did to get rid of that pale skin of yours must be so powerful', looking at Courage, she continued, ' Courage, which path did you come through? We searched for you, everywhere on The Easy Path, but didn't find you. Really Courage, that Easy Path was boring without you.’ The others nodded in agreement at that.’ well', Courage replied, helping us both to our seats, 'myself and Timid came in through the paths of Trouble’.’ And may I ask why?' excitement inquired.’ What Timid needed was to go through some excitement, surprises, and you know, just get out of her comfort zone’.’ wow, Courage, you are so amazing. Timid doesn't look like Timid anymore, I think she should be called Daring henceforth’.’ yes, it is true. I kind of envy her. Her beauty has become more intense than mine. A far cry from the weak eyes, pale skin, ugly face, and crooked walk she used to have’. Beauty said, examining my newly acquired strong limbs from the climb up the mountain.’ and look at all these beautiful things they picked from their walk through Trouble Land', Romance showed each of our souvenirs to the others, while Courage and I, ate delight out of the picnic tray.’ isn’t that the most exotic flower I have ever seen? And look at that goldfish. Jeez, these gemstones are so incredible'. Fun, was saying, in utter admiration at the things Courage and I had got from Trouble Land. It was funny how we were eating all the Delight and Pleasure, and they all were gazing at us in amazement.’ Fun and Beauty, what do you say? The three of us could go back home through the land of trouble, and have our own pick of these lovely souvenirs'. Romance asked.’ yes, I agree', Fun replied. 'it would be terrific'. As if going down memory lane, she continued, 'you remember how we all were, before our first time in Trouble Land? Beauty was just another Plain Jane, I was Boring, and Romance was Stale’.’ I concur,' Beauty Said, 'but the land of trouble is so full of pains and challenges. My smooth skin is certainly going to get jagged and roughened, by the many thorns that line the path’. After a pause, she continued,’ in the end it is going to be worth it I guess. I would really get to be Stunning and not just beautiful. Besides, Courage would be with us all the way’.’ You are right, Beauty. Courage makes the difference. I am afraid my idea of what is fun will be challenged, and my mind will be exposed to truths that may be too bitter to swallow at first. But tell you what! I'd give anything to dig deeper and go beyond my shallow way of thinking. And when that happens, I will not just be fun, I will be Intensely Exotic’. Fun ended, and we all giggled at that. Looking at Romance, and being more daring than ever, I asked Romance.’ What do you look forward to achieving in the land of Trouble?’ And with all eyes on him, Romance spoke.'well for me, going through that dreadful Land of Trouble with Courage, will help me face the truth about myself and my friends, so I could learn new things and be more loving. Seriously, I would rather be called Romantic Love, than just Romance’. Then I surprised them all by offering what I hoped to achieve in Trouble Land.' I would love to experience things that would help me be Passionate. I thank you all for choosing to change my name from Timid to Daring, but I want more: I want to be called Passion. I know my back still aches from my not too far away walk through the Valley of Self Pity, hills of hopelessness, tight ropes of new things, swampy ground of the unfamiliar, but hey I can't bear being Ordinary or becoming stale again '. Everyone was silent after that. They probably felt I was being too ambitious.’ that is really laudable, Timid,oh sorry, Daring', Courage said breaking into the silence.’ we all must strive to improve. Always. And to that effect', he paused, fixing his dark eyes on all of us. I dared to look deeply, and saw something new, a new Courage.
I saw a new Courage that didn't just want to do heroic acts for it's sake. A Courage that stood for something very significant. So, I wasn't surprised when he finally announced that he wanted his name to be changed to Love.’ Because', he said, 'I want to be able to go all the way for my friends, and help them be all they can be; without caring about who gets the glory, but doing all as if I were doing it for God’. We were dazzled. We all thought having Courage was enough. And now we realized that Love was more heroic in fierceness, more compassionate in giving, and more gentle, yet efficient in rebuking. Armed with our new resolve, we went through the land of Trouble more purposeful than ever. And as usual, Excitement tagged along. This time, it was so much more; adversity spiced up with adventure was what we fed on, and drank the bitter water of truth, sweetened with friendly support. In the cup of fantasy, and a plate of life's harsh realities. It was worth it, as we all got what we wanted, and so much more, on this other date with Courage.

© 2012 charminine


Author's Note

charminine
ignore grammar problems, what do you think of the dialogue, etc

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on June 20, 2012
Last Updated on June 20, 2012
Tags: ROMANCE, ADVENTURE, BEAUTY, COMFORT, COURAGE

Author

charminine
charminine

lagos, gbagada, Nigeria



About
i love writing to inspire young women to keep striving towards the attainment of their dreams more..