Within these Walls

Within these Walls

A Poem by Omar

 

 

“Within these walls,” the gypsy said—

“Tragedy!” She exclaimed after a long pause.

I, for one, was shocked. I could not exactly understand what she was talking about. I took a closer look at the crystal ball, struggling to understand what she was trying to say.

Tragedy?

I could see a quaint building. I was staring as if from the outside, peering in from the balcony into one particular apartment. The windows and verandas were lined with lively green plants that swayed in the breeze so freely, so airily. The building’s walls were grainy and tarnished, dull pink in color. I squinted to see who was sitting in the living room. The entire house was empty except for two living beings. I noticed her first. She was beautiful.

On the purplish sofa sat a glowing mother in her very early twenties—twenty-one to be exact—wrapping in her arms the baby she had just delivered three weeks ago. The fragile newborn looked frail and exhausted, as if he had stayed in the hospital after his delivery. She smiled at him with a glint of joy, and if I could read her mind, I know what she would be thinking. I swear I will take care of you forever and ever. I will never let you suffer. I’m glad you’re finally home with me. You shall never see a day of pain in your whole life.

The husband came into the apartment, and I suddenly felt a pang in my heart and an ache in my stomach. I tried not to look at his face. Hoping to quell the discomfort I felt, I diverted my attention and focused again on the angelic baby.

He was wrapped in a light blue wool blanket and his head rested on a tiny cotton pillow which looked strikingly similar to a pillow I’ve had eversince I was a baby.

I peered even closer to make out his face—

And so, with eyes and mouth wide open, and my heart sunken to the pit of my stomach, I realized what the gypsy had meant.

 

© 2009 Omar


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such depth is yet to be seen anywhere .
Awsome write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great write. i enjoy short selections with a tone of life as such. thx :) great job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I swear I will take care of you forever and ever. I will never let you suffer. I'm glad you're finally home with me. You shall never see a day of pain in your whole life.

Loved these lines here, S concerning and warm.
A well stated write here!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 15, 2009

Author

Omar
Omar

Amsterdam, Netherlands



About
xx more..

Writing
Designation Designation

A Poem by Omar


Unready Unready

A Poem by Omar


Language Language

A Poem by Omar