Helping the Needy

Helping the Needy

A Story by OneWhiteTIger
"

Our heroine discovers that helping the needy doesn't always turn out like it should!

"

"You're a fool!"


Cally looked up from the mug in front of her, a slight smile easing into place. Her partner, Shaelin, was glaring at her.


Though a mere five feel tall, Cally's power put off the most fearsome man, but had absolutely no affect on Shaelin.


"Those spells were lost for a reason," Shaelin said, brushing golden hair back from amber eyes. "If you start digging around for them, you'll only attract trouble." Shaelin perched on the stool opposite Cally at the worktable.


Cally gazed around their one room cabin. "I want more than this, Sister. I want all to know I have the power to help them. This gift from the Goddess is going to waste in this tiny mountain cabin!"


Shaelin looked at Cally, pity for her twin warring with caution. "But Cally, we can post notices or tell the town crier. There's no need to involve an ages-old spell! Do you know the repercussions if anything should go wrong?" Shaelin started polishing her sword as she tried, yet again, to talk some sense into her sister.


"But this spell will seek out those with true need! How can it go wrong? It's exactly what I always wanted!" Cally started gathering the components they had spent a year tracking down. In the process, she bumped a small fuzzball nestled on the corner of the worktable.


"I have to agree with Shaelin this time, Cally," the lynx, Rolfie said, stretching from his nap.


"You are taking a chance for no reason. Mere actions would accomplish what you would do with an ancient spell? Definitely sounds like trouble."


"Hush, Rolfie! Being my familiar is SUPPOSED to put you on my side!" Cally huffed.


"No. I merely provide aid and strength, I can definitely still think for myself, thank you very much! After all, look at what your last HELPFUL spell did," Rolfie said, motioning to himself. If a lynx could chuckle, Rolfie was doing it right that moment.


"Well, I'm doing it. You two can go away if you'd like," Cally said, irritably.


Shaelin was finished with her sword and moved on to her daggers. "I am NOT leaving you unprotected. What does this spell say exactly?"


"For exactly one year, this spell will bring those in need to the caster. See? And if it works, I can cast it again this time next year!" Cally exclaimed.


"Goddess! You don't see how THAT could go wrong?" Shaelin cried.


"Okay, okay, so the worst that can go wrong is we end up with lots of company for a year. I'm not daft." Cally rubbed her forehead, nervously.


"Then you'll be responsible for their shelter, food and defense!"


"Why do you always believe the worst? Plenty of my spells have turned out perfect!" Cally started mixing the ingredients.


"Because I would rather be ready than caught unaware!" Shaelin put the weapons back in their sheaths. The weapons always reappeared in their sheaths if she ever lost or threw them: one of Cally's perfect spells.


Rolfie sat up, eyeing the mixture and parchment carefully. "Don't forget to stir it forty two times..."


"I think I can handle this.."


"Alright, alright. I'm just doin' my job!" Rolfie harrumphed at her and plopped down on the table.


Cally put fire to the bowl of herbs. At first, they burned like a regular fire, then suddenly the flame turned purple and black. Shaelin's eyebrows shot up. "Um, Cally..." She trailed off as Cally started the incantation.


When she finished the spell, Cally looked around.


"Nothing appears to have happened," Rolfie said, ever observant and helpful. Both sisters glared at him.


Just then, a knock sounded at the door. Cally smirked at Shaelin and Rolfie, triumphantly. Shaelin stepped over to answer the door. As it was opening, she heard Rolfie yelp.


When she turned around, instead of seeing Cally in her seat, she saw a well. "What the..." Shaelin said, as the visitor stepped inside.


The young girl walked over to the well. She was silent for a moment and then tossed in a coin. She turned, smiled at Shaelin, and left closing the door behind her.


Cally reappeared in place of the well. "OH MY GODDESS!" She shrieked in terror. "WHAT WAS THAT?"


Shaelin started chuckling, and then laughed so hard she was crying. "I guess what people need is a place to pitch a coin and make a wish!"


She wiped tears from her eyes as another knock sounded.


"Don't answer it!" Cally cried.


"Apparently it doesn't matter," Shaelin said, as the door opened of it's own accord. There was the well again.


A farm boy in shabby clothes did much the same thing as the first girl and left.


As the door closed, Cally appeared once again. "Oh Shaelin, what am I going to do?"


"More importantly," Shaelin said, seriously, "how do we get the coins out of you?"

© 2019 OneWhiteTIger


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

*laughs like crazy!* How DO the coins come out??? Sounds painful......

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 15, 2015
Last Updated on August 1, 2019

Author

OneWhiteTIger
OneWhiteTIger

MO



About
Determined, creative, driven, complex, duty-bound, craving. more..

Writing