It's not that I don't want to love you

It's not that I don't want to love you

A Poem by Ally Ann
"

some people don't understand why it is so hard to love

"
It’s not that I don’t want to love you. 

It's that every time I look in the mirror I see sunken eye sockets and memories of someone I used to be. I remember the scars that made their way on to my body, on broken dreams and aching limbs and thoughts that destroyed my self-esteem. It’s the notebooks I filled with words that I read when I feel like breaking my own heart again. It's the bruises I gave myself on the skin that was never quite good enough for me to inhabit. It’s the not quite working brain that lives inside my head. It’s that fact that I can’t breathe when anyone says my name too fast, shellshocked from nervousness that wore away at my nervous system. It’s that my bones rattle in my body every time I think about the eighth grade. It’s patchwork blood stains on my comforter from the nights it got too bad. It's the guilt that continues to build in my veins. It’s that every time I look at you, I fear I will hurt you like I hurt myself. It’s permanent scars on my psyche that I don’t want on yours. It’s fearing that I will slide back into who I used to be. It’s not knowing who I am now. 

It’s not that I don’t want to love you. 
It’s that I don’t know how to love myself.

© 2018 Ally Ann


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Quite the personal characterization and behind YOUR eyes view.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Added on December 31, 2018
Last Updated on December 31, 2018
Tags: poem, poetry, short poem, lonely, loneliness, sadness, broken, youth, adolescence, friends, relationship, life, pain, loss, love, like

Author

Ally Ann
Ally Ann

About
Lately I have been feeling very lost, and it is comforting to come here and rediscover pieces of who I was and who I still must be "The world is trying to kill you. It is trying to do this by steal.. more..

Writing