london GHOST BIKE

london GHOST BIKE

A Poem by R J Askew
"

The Ghost Bikes of London are tragic sights, marking as the they do the spots where cyclists have met their deaths. I photographed this one this morning near Kings Cross Station.

"

Following, always a-following

Following you now

Riderless

Ticking of spokes

What?!?

Just a bike!

A riderless bike

All white, just a-coasting along behind you

Bell, white

Saddle, white

Tyres ... white

White, whites, eyes, white

Can you see me? Deep Lee

Sharper now?

Or now?
Moreso on your way a-home

Late at night, No-No-November

To an empty, emptier, emptying red, bed, bled, dead

© 2012 R J Askew


Author's Note

R J Askew
The Ghost Bikes are there to haunt us all, to remind us of how we are, and what our city is like. The message is especially apt at a time when more of us are taking to bikes for the best of reasons. But others do not see the bikes in their haste, or negligence. And so the roll call of dead cyclists grows and grows. This poem is to haunt London drivers of the impatient kind, that is to say, the majority of them. Deep was just 24.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

such a powerful read, really enjoyed this. Creepy and wonderful.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A soulful write initially I thought about something that would not really be seen as soulful but then I read on and found it more than a little moving. An epitaph and a warning to thoughtlessness and those who don't see.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Whimsical in tone but also deeply moving. You have such a lyrical way of writing poetry (like in your terrific Colony Collapse Disorder) and it draws the reader in. But despite your delightful tongue-in-cheek approach, you always hint at a grave truth, and that is a talent I laud and applaud.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is such a powerful write, a strong message indeed to impatient drivers, boy racers, sad sad sad :( for those people who love to ride bikes and help the environment. A heartfelt tribute to those who have met their fate too soon, on London roads. Can you see me Deep Lee Sharper now ? very clever.

Posted 12 Years Ago


How absolutely terrible! Whatever the care or dress of a rider, bikes of all kinds are prone to the most terrible accidents, and too many are fatal. Takes only a few seconds' carelessness on a car/lorry or whatever driver's part and .. a life;s over or someone's maimed forever.

God willing the sight of that and other white bikes serve as a warning.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Seems everything carries hazards that are quite unfair to the pleasure involved.

A cyclist had ridden 3,100 miles across the USA to Florida, followed by his wife in a van, when a motorist struck and killed him. She witnessed the entire ordeal.

It is a haunting recognition of tragedy...of the kind that occurs too often.

Nice effort...this posting.

Daniel

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow .. I have never heard about The Ghost Bikes .. Here in the U.S. we place flowers or crosses, at the site where one died, if by auto accident, or any other tragic means .. .. Your Poem is a tribute and a warning .. Haste or negligence, may take a life .. ..
You bring us a powerful message .. Thank you !!

A very worthwhile read .. Jasmine

Posted 12 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1484 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 23, 2012
Last Updated on April 23, 2012

Author

R J Askew
R J Askew

United Kingdom



About
Busy re-writing a new story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..